Klister?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
red_pine

Klister?

Post by red_pine » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:06 am

Hi Everybody. I am new to using grip wax on skis, having used fishscales my whole life. I have been using the system advocated by lilcliffy and many others on this forum: ironing polar or green into the entire base, and then applying wax of the day to the glide zone. The system has worked well on days when conditions were good for hard wax.

I am wondering how to incorporate klister into this system for icy conditions. There is a lot of adivce on the internet about klister, much of it contradictory and oriented more toward racing, so it is hard to know where to begin. Is universal klister adequate, or do I really need multiple klisters? Is it a good idea to apply hard wax over the klister to prevent icing, and if so, under what conditions should this be done? Does the ironed in polar wax serve as a good binder for klister, or do I need base klister? If I have already applied multiple layers of hard wax, do I need to scrape those off before applying the klister? Any advice or input that you have would be appreciated.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: Klister?

Post by lowangle al » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:12 am

Good questions Red Pine, I'm gonna add one of my own.
I've been thinking about having a dedicated klister ski and pulling it out when needed. Will the klister hold up for weeks in storage when not needed. I know with wax I have used a ski with wax from the previous season.

fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Post by fgd135 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:59 am

In Colorado, for trail and backcountry skiing, I generally only use Swix Universal Klister (K22) if I need to use klister. It works really well, in my experience; good kick and glide in mixed warm/refrozen icy granular and warm wet snow. I have very rarely ever felt the need to use a silver klister over it to reduce icing, as is commonly done when using the warm red klisters.

Swix blue ice klister and Rode's cold ice klisters have limited use but can work well in cold refrozen and very icy/windblown conditions when hard waxes just won't work at all...
A tube of klister will last as long in storage as a hard wax, esp. of you keep it sealed in a ziplock bag.
Hint: Carrying the klister tube, in the ziplock bag, inside a plastic sandwich box along with the paddle and a small bottle of talcum powder for klister removal works well and prevents nasty klister messes...

There is no need for a binder wax under klister, but klister can easily be applied over hard waxes, glide waxes, or a base layer like polar or special green. I remove hard kick waxes in the wax pocket if I can, because multiple layers add drag.

Do not apply a huge amount of klister, start with only a single thin bead down the length of the wax pocket, or even slightly shorter, on each side of the tracking groove and use the paddle to spread it very evenly. Let the ski base cool out of the sun, if there is any sun, before you put it on the snow, or the klister might glaze over with ice. After skiing a few minute or more, if you need to, add a bit more further towards the tip rather than adding a second layer.

I personally find it very difficult to apply a hard wax, even a softer one like violet, or red, over klister. That's more of a racing technique for classic tracks, than a practical backcountry technique. The only way I know of to accomplish that is to radically cool off the klister on the ski base, and at the same time warm up the hard wax enough to soften it to apply to the klister layer without pulling up the klister; and then re-cooling the base. Possible to do this by sticking the ski in a snow bank while you warm up the hard wax under your jacket for several minutes; quickly wipe the water off the klister and apply the very warm hard wax by dabbing it on the klister, then rub it in with a cork, or your fingers...
To me, it makes more sense to remove the klister and then rewax with a hard wax.
Last edited by fgd135 on Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:30 pm, edited 7 times in total.
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:52 am

its been decades since I used Kilster, but as I recall, Klister is the "gift that keeps giving". its longevity never seemed to the issue, getting rid of it was. torches, sticky rags. I'm pretty sure klister would be good for trapping rodents. and you've never really had a true klister experience until you get it in your hair. :)

red_pine

Post by red_pine » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:49 pm

fgd135 wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:59 am
In Colorado, for trail and backcountry skiing, I generally only use Swix Universal Klister (K22) if I need to use klister. It works really well, in my experience; good kick and glide in mixed warm/refrozen icy granular and warm wet snow. I have very rarely ever felt the need to use a silver klister over it to reduce icing, as is commonly done when using the warm red klisters.

Swix blue ice klister and Rode's cold ice klisters have limited use but can work well in cold refrozen and very icy/windblown conditions when hard waxes just won't work at all...
A tube of klister will last as long in storage as a hard wax, esp. of you keep it sealed in a ziplock bag.
Hint: Carrying the klister tube, in the ziplock bag, inside a plastic sandwich box along with the paddle and a small bottle of talcum powder for klister removal works well and prevents nasty klister messes...

There is no need for a binder wax under klister, but klister can easily be applied over hard waxes, glide waxes, or a base layer like polar or special green. I remove hard kick waxes in the wax pocket if I can, because multiple layers add drag.

Do not apply a huge amount of klister, start with only a single thin bead down the length of the wax pocket, or even slightly shorter, on each side of the tracking groove and use the paddle to spread it very evenly. Let the ski base cool out of the sun, if there is any sun, before you put it on the snow, or the klister might glaze over with ice. After skiing a few minute or more, if you need to, add a bit more further towards the tip rather than adding a second layer.

I personally find it very difficult to apply a hard wax, even a softer one like violet, or red, over klister. That's more of a racing technique for classic tracks, than a practical backcountry technique. The only way I know of to accomplish that is to radically cool off the klister on the ski base, and at the same time warm up the hard wax enough to soften it to apply to the klister layer without pulling up the klister; and then re-cooling the base. Possible to do this by sticking the ski in a snow bank while you warm up the hard wax under your jacket for several minutes; quickly wipe the water off the klister and apply the very warm hard wax by dabbing it on the klister, then rub it in with a cork, or your fingers...
To me, it makes more sense to remove the klister and then rewax with a hard wax.
This is an excellent answer for my questions. Thank you very much. I do have one other question: will universal klister work in very cold icy conditions (say, 10 degrees Fahrenheit), or is ice klister necessary? Can anything bad happen from using universal klister in such cold conditions?

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:15 pm

I use warm (red) klister and have (blue) ice klister. It’s pretty easy to determine which one to use.

Al, I tried to keep klister on a ski. Temps were consistent between 28 and maybe 35. My pickup has a cap, and I had the skis wedged to protect the edges, and so they didn’t move. I had the skis turned bases up. I only had one layer of klister and it was thin, and only in the wax pocket. How it spread I don’t know. I Wil not leave it on skis again. Baby powder and Goo gone cleaned up the mess, but it was a MESS!

athabascae
Favorite Skis: Asnes MR48; Asnes Ingstad
Favorite boots: Alpina Traverse BC; Alpina Alaska BC

Post by athabascae » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:36 pm

Good thread; good info. Thanks.

I agree that klister has its place.

I use either Swix universal or blue "ice" klister as conditions warrant, often with good results. No experience with red or others. Probably fine with just universal, really.

I keep it pretty simple. No binders or top layers. Thin layer in wax pocket only, as noted above.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:05 pm

fisheater wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:15 pm
I use warm (red) klister and have (blue) ice klister. It’s pretty easy to determine which one to use.

Al, I tried to keep klister on a ski. Temps were consistent between 28 and maybe 35. My pickup has a cap, and I had the skis wedged to protect the edges, and so they didn’t move. I had the skis turned bases up. I only had one layer of klister and it was thin, and only in the wax pocket. How it spread I don’t know. I Wil not leave it on skis again. Baby powder and Goo gone cleaned up the mess, but it was a MESS!
Thanks Bob, I kinda didn't think it would hold up like wax. I hope it didn't get all over your truck.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:36 pm

Excellent thread and excellent knowledge/experience.

I use the Universal and the ice klister.

In mid-winter I always test the grip-glide of my kicker skin before I move to klister.
Klister is easy to remove- with powder or paper towel (especially towel + heat).
Kilster bonds very well to a grip waxed base.

DO NOT put a skin over klister!
"My motha put my skin over klista once- once!"
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

dhdaines
Ski style: Scandinavian Skibreaker
Favorite Skis: E99, E99, E99
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC, Alpina Alaska BC, Alpina Alaska BC

Post by dhdaines » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:01 pm

Blue klister is really good in typical Ontario/Quebec conditions (refrozen/hardened mix of snow, rain, sleet and freezing rain, temperatures from -15 to -5C). Basically if you find yourself rewaxing with Blue Extra every 2km or so then you might want blue klister instead.

The problem with it is that it is pretty hard so you have to keep it close to your body at all times in order to apply it "in the field" and you have to work quickly. Also the tube has a tendency to burst open at the wrong end (you can imagine how I found this out). As others said, apply in a thin layer, otherwise it will "migrate" toward the tail of your ski where it won't do you any good at all.

I found it easy to apply hard wax over it, again, keep your wax close to your body, at -5C the blue klister will harden up pretty quickly.

I feel like if I were ever tempted to use universal klister (between -2 and +15C, granular snow and ice) then I might as well use kicker skins instead, but I'm sure it glides better.