Why didn't Alpina D 102's make it to the USA this year?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Spiny Norman

Why didn't Alpina D 102's make it to the USA this year?

Post by Spiny Norman » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:12 pm

Did the big fire at the Euro ski factory take them down?

Alpina not bothering anymore?

Other?

Anyone know?

Cheers

Blackbeard Ben
Ski style: XCD

Re: Why didn't Alpina D 102's make it to the USA this year?

Post by Blackbeard Ben » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:16 pm

I've wondered this myself.

Nobody in the US has them except some old stock in small sizes, and many online shops say they're discontinued or no longer available. Of course, we're also dealing with the great Covid ski rush this season as well.

I even tried ordering some from a shop in the UK, but they said they were shut down and to get back with them in a few weeks when I asked about shipping to the USA. Nonetheless, they sold out in my size (178) shortly after that.

I still want to try a pair as I think they may be well suited for some of the skiing I do here in Michigan (thanks to their short length). But at this point I think it will have to wait another year. I got bindings on my USGI Åsnes skis and just ordered a pair of Madshus Eon 62 skis to try for the time being. Not really the same thing, but it'll keep me entertained.

I'm not sure what really compares closely to the Disco 102. The Madshus Epoch 68 and Fischer S-Bound 98 are a little longer for the same weight range, and the Altai Kom is wider underfoot.

mothermenke

Post by mothermenke » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:20 pm

HermitsHut.com has some 178cm old stock still available. Was thinking of getting a pair, but full price at $350 is a bit steep for me. Kicking myself for not buying them when Sierra Trading Post had them for under $150.

Blackbeard Ben
Ski style: XCD

Post by Blackbeard Ben » Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:24 pm

mothermenke wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:20 pm
HermitsHut.com has some 178cm old stock still available. Was thinking of getting a pair, but full price at $350 is a bit steep for me. Kicking myself for not buying them when Sierra Trading Post had them for under $150.
I e-mailed them to ask if they would mount bindings on them, but they told me they only have the 168 in stock. So their site seems to be wrong.

riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Post by riel » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:54 pm

It looks like Alpina moved their production from the Fischer factory (2018 and before) to the Sporten factory (2019 and after). Maybe they don't have a production line set up for the 102 at the new place?

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:25 pm

From the horse's mouth.

Hello Spencer,

Discovery 102s were sold in the USA this year. Not all shops carry the ski and it’s much more popular for dealers out west to order this from us than dealers on the east coast. They will continue to be a ski dealers have the option to order from us this coming ski season.

Regards,

Elan/Alpina Customer Service Team