Camber of Fischer Outback 68 compared to Excursion 88

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
kniepisler
Ski style: Tele, Alpine and Nordic
Favorite Skis: Rossignol Experience 88's w/Rotte Freerides
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX Comp

Camber of Fischer Outback 68 compared to Excursion 88

Post by kniepisler » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:42 am

So up until this weekend I haven't considered classic XC skiing but recently visited a local park that has a mix of groomed and ungroomed trails. I was using my X88's which I know are not meant for track skiing, but hey you dance with the girl you brought.

As far as the track portion of the outing goes, it wasn't too bad, the traffic was heavy so the tracks were already worn out. The only real problem was in the turns where the waist of the ski would rub in the track, annoyIng yes, but not that big of a deal. The most cumbersome part of the deal came when I had to step out of the track to pass other skiers. I feel the camber on 88's made the ski unpredictable on the hardpacked "skate" lane as I couldn't engage the edges underfoot and the ski would rocket sideways. Even still I enjoyed the experience but now I'm thinking I need to add another tool the quiver. I don't want to get a full-fledged track setup as that involved another pair of boots in addition to the skis. That said I'm thinking about the Fischer Outback 68's but am concerned about the amount of camber. Can anyone offer some insight as to how this ski performs on hardpack? I know technically this skis is too wide for tracks, but the off-track crown and ez skin makes this a more robust option for the type of skiing that I find myself doing these days.

Thanks, KP

Edit: Interested in the Outbacks over the Spider 62's as I will still be using a NNNBC binding to mate with my Alaskas...
Have gear, will travel