Beginner tele setup

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Noobie

Beginner tele setup

Post by Noobie » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:54 am

About 10 years ago, I took a few tele lessons and loved it. I learned enough to make linked turns down green runs. ( I’ve been an alpine skier for 20 years and can ski varied terrain well, and have skied many places in the eastern and western US). Unfortunately, I didn’t stick with tele (probably due to lack of tele friends for encouragement). However, my next door neighbors are avid tele skiers at my home mountain and have convinced me to give it another go. I love the tele turn and I’m also hoping it will strengthen my quads more. I’m interested in resort skiing.

I’m willing to invest in a setup next year that will help me with the learning curve. The biggest issue is boots. I’ve got a narrow instep and narrow heel. My alpine boots are narrow Atomics with an aftermarket lace up liner. Tele boots have wider lasts so I’m worried about finding a boot that not only fits well, but also doesn’t hold me back in progressing. I think I was learning in a Scarpa T1 ....it was a size too big and felt a tad too stiff but wasn’t broken in. It would be awesome to use the NTN releasable bindings but I realize my boot choice ultimately affects binding choice.

I’m a 5’10” 170 lb, 54 year old advanced alpine female skier. I do have a boot fitter (who’s also a pedorthist) who has fit others in tele boots, and I’ll visit him next fall. He doesn’t sell boots, though. So, what should I look for in a boot, and what boots should I focus on? After I figure all that out, I’ll worry about skis.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: Beginner tele setup

Post by fisheater » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:37 am

I don’t really ride chairs anymore, however it’s more geographical. I live in Michigan. When I was younger my resort skiing, was training for my western skiing. At the present, I ski alone or with my dog. My old ski buddies have quit. If I resort ski, I either ski in T4’s or leather boots. Resort skiing in MI just is not my interest any longer. If I travel, which I would like to do next year, I will be interested in eastern backcountry skiing, old CCC down mountain trails and modern glades.
If I wanted to ski on piste exclusively I would be looking towards NTN. Those that ski NTN generally talk about superior edge control. There are also options to have binding be releasable. I think the more releasable bindings are more touring oriented, for example Meidjo. I am not 35 any longer, I am not launching big air or skiing almost exclusively expert terrain. I do however get hurt easier, so for my turning 60 this year self, releasable bindings are a good thing. That would be heresy to my alpine bindings at 14+ 35 year old self. My boots for primarily piste would be TX Pro (Scarpa). I am a Scarpa fit. For skis, just remember that a Tele ski needs to be softer flexing, as you are weighting both feet. I guess I pay more attention to NTN equipment than I do to piste skis. Every skier has their own ski type preferences as well. I would look into a rocker/camber/rocker on piste ski for my weight class.

Noobie

Post by Noobie » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:25 pm

Thanks for the info. Yeah, NTN is attractive due its release feature. The thought of a tumble with skis in bindings that don’t release gives me pause. I’m *thinking* that the better edge control will also help lessen the learning curve, but that’s just a guess. I do have a pair of Liberty V76 (first gen) alpine skis in a 165 that are pretty soft flexing and forgiving; their narrower width should be good to help me feel my edges. They’re too short for me for regular alpine but for learning tele I’m thinking they should be fairly good.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:51 am

Noobie, a word of caution on short skis. When your heel is locked your locked heel keeps you from getting tossed over the handle bars. With free heels sticking a tip, and taking a ride over the bars could be a thing. It’s not as likely on NTN and 4 buckle boots as opposed to ankle high leathers and 3 pins. That is why it’s only a word of caution, something to think about.
I personally don’t like short skis, but everything else sounds pretty sweet. Hopefully everything works out, and you will send us a photo of your Televangelist bumper sticker!

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:11 pm

Hi Noobie, and welcome to the forum. My personal take on the boots/bindings:

As far as fit, sounds like Scarpa's will likely be the closest fit for you. I have a narrow foot, with a high arch and instep, and they've been the best for me. Beware of too stiff a boot: they'll make the learning curve harder. The older T-1's are as stiff as I've needed for anything, and they're actually not too stiff at all. In fact, I modified mine from 4 buckles to three, which I find provides a smoother overall flex. And I always ski 'em in walk mode. Don't know what the current equivalent is if you go NTN; I'm still sticking with 75's.

Regarding the release function, The 7TM Power Tour's (75mm) work very well, and are a smooth, progressive neutral flex. Both T-1's and 7TM's are also fairly easy to find used, if you decide to go that way. (BTW, I've got some 7TM's I'll be letting go if they appeal to you... not at the resorts these days, just BC stuff, so they're in retirement).

Like fisheater says, 165's are a little on the short side for you (but skiable). At 5'7 and 130, I find anything shorter than 170 feels... a little short. Hope this helps.

Bode Toad
Ski style: BC Touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad 205 cm; Voile Objective 178 cm
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska 75mm; Scarpa T2

Post by Bode Toad » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:30 am

Experimented with Scarpa T2s today at Colorado resort. Boot fitter did good job—almost as comfortable as buckled Merrills. Voile Objectives (no scales, no skins) with traverse bindings, including heel assembly. Floated and turned well in 11 inches pristine powder, temperature high 20s. Will repeat tomorrow with maybe two more inches powder. So far so good with T2s, at least in favorable conditions.