Detuning rocker ski

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Re: Detuning rocker ski

Post by Montana St Alum » Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:43 pm

Monsieur Woodserson just posted a review on a 95 underfoot ski...

http://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 926#p39926

and I'm about to post a review on the Rustler 9, once I ski it.

On the narrow end, I love my Rossignol EXP 84 AI skis. They are not quite rockered, though enough on the back to ski switch (which means they release easily in the turn, even if you have no interest in that stupid old man trick!). All my other skis are rockered and it seems the 84 AI's share their characteristics.
Also, they are discontinued this year and the last I saw, they were on Amazon for about $358 brand new.

I like mine enough that I picked up a spare pair for when mine wear out.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:17 pm

joeatomictoad wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:28 pm
Can any one recommend a full rocker ski that is not a complete surfboard underfoot? I am thinking between 80-mm to 100-mm should be enough.

I have never skied with a full rocker, and believe it is time to get out of my comfort zone. (Out of my comfort zone because I grew up in Southern New England...ice, ice baby.) And maybe I'll detune to the point of a drunken bloodhound barking a blues scale.

Keeping my eyes open for a used set. I get what full rocker looks like, but that doesn't help much when online shopping. I want to be informed on some models to look out for.

Any ideas would be great. ¡Thanks!
What are you meaning when you say "full rocker ski"? The full rocker/reverse camber skis are usually only found in the very high waist widths and are specialized powder machines. There is no camber underfoot.

Most skis in the 80-100 range are rocker-camber underfoot-rocker to different, varying degrees. The Nomad 95, is very flat under foot with deep rocker on both sides. Very swively, but probably useless/frustrating on very hard ice snow.

joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Post by joeatomictoad » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:38 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:17 pm
What are you meaning when you say "full rocker ski"? The full rocker/reverse camber skis are usually only found in the very high waist widths and are specialized powder machines. There is no camber underfoot.
Full rocker: I was looking for that "full-smile" / "full banana" ski shape, without the powder machine width underfoot. From what you're saying, presume these are not manufactured. I understand the modern rocker-camber-rocker shape; just looking for a cheap way to experiment a little further on the dark side.

P.S. @Woodserson , great review on the Icelantic. You should rip a commission!

joeatomictoad

Post by joeatomictoad » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:41 pm

Montana St Alum wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:43 pm
On the narrow end, I love my Rossignol EXP 84 AI skis.
That's a handsome ski. Thanks.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:39 pm

joeatomictoad wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:38 pm
Woodserson wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:17 pm
Full rocker: I was looking for that "full-smile" / "full banana" ski shape, without the powder machine width underfoot. From what you're saying, presume these are not manufactured. I understand the modern rocker-camber-rocker shape; just looking for a cheap way to experiment a little further on the dark side.

P.S. Woodserson , great review on the Icelantic. You should rip a commission!
Ok great! We are on the same page. The Nomad 95 is about as close as you're going to get in that waist width, I think. I've been squashing the hell out of that ski and it's gone quite flat quickly, it already comes out of the factory with very little camber (like none) and it didn't take much to make it into no camber. When the ski gets hot from the iron it actually goes into a banana shape a bit. It's very swively. It does have a definite speed limit. If I weighed more than 160 or if I ski it faster it gets pretty floppy. It encourages turning, when it's one edge it just turns the tightest little radii turns.

I am still head-over-heels with this ski in soft spring-like snow. I think it would fold up under me in deeper powder. Maybe not?

joeatomictoad

Post by joeatomictoad » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:13 am

Woodserson wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:39 pm
Ok great! We are on the same page. The Nomad 95 is about as close as you're going to get in that waist width, I think.
Appreciate the recommendation. I will keep my eyes peeled. It's obvious that you are smitten with these sticks.

Largest ski I ever rode is 93-mm, my current Nordica Enforcers. I'm trying to broaden my palette with wider and softer. (...with no innuendo intended!)

Montana St Alum

Post by Montana St Alum » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:59 am

[/quote]

[/quote]

Oops, I figured you meant rocker-camber-rocker under 100mm. I didn't know fully rockered skis were made at these widths.
It does sound as though the Nomad 95 is as close as you may get.

Montana St Alum

Post by Montana St Alum » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:03 am

[/quote]

I am still head-over-heels with this ski in soft spring-like snow. I think it would fold up under me in deeper powder. Maybe not?
[/quote]

It may "fold up" in a good way in deep powder! It sounds like it could crank a very tight turn under those conditions so it may take a little getting used to, to avoid being thrown to the outside of the turn, but once you do, staying on a "no bark diet" in the trees may be easier.