Amundsen or Gamme?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
ᚠᚨᚱ ᚾᛟᚱᚦ ᛊᚲᛁᛖᚱ
Ski style: Mixed xcountry offtrack/bc
Favorite Skis: Asnes NATO BC so far
Favorite boots: Still searching

Re: Amundsen or Gamme?

Post by ᚠᚨᚱ ᚾᛟᚱᚦ ᛊᚲᛁᛖᚱ » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:05 am

fisheater wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:42 pm
However, I have a 210 Gamme, at plus 190 lbs. Nansen might be fun for touring for turns when things are more consolidated. Maybe mount it Super Telemark which allow me to ski it either with Alaska or Ski March boots if I’m pushing the downhills.
I’m just thinking out loud!
I feel you there. I've tried both nnn bc and the super teles (I only use the cable if I know it's going to be a long descent) this season and I kind of like the flex of my 75mm boots. It's easier to feel my weight on the balls of my feet and there's something about the mechanics of striding in 75mm that I like (obviously this could very greatly with boot choice). Boots are pretty heavy 2 buckle variety. I'm thinking for next season I'll try to get some Crispi Antarctics for general touring and mild downhill.

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:05 am

Have you seen this video/site? it was posted here some time ago. makes me want to retire and just practice my tele turns with full pads on until I'm a badass like Gamme. Those 2 bros are amazing.

https://www.fftv.no/fjellskiskolen-ep-2-svingteknikk-22

Gives you a real perspective on what is possible with Gamme and Nansen skis. I was enlightened after watching these videos and continue to humbly learn and reluctantly fall many many times so that I can someday do those stealthy jump teleturns.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:41 am

jyw5 wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:05 am
Have you seen this video/site? it was posted here some time ago. makes me want to retire and just practice my tele turns with full pads on until I'm a badass like Gamme. Those 2 bros are amazing.

Gives you a real perspective on what is possible with Gamme and Nansen skis. I was enlightened after watching these videos and continue to humbly learn and reluctantly fall many many times so that I can someday do those stealthy jump teleturns.
No need to retire Joe, just get a summer construction job, it worked for me.

As far as the skiing in that video, any ski should be able to do that. Skis that are hard to turn always turn when they are off the snow. It's the landing you need to work on. :) I had two sets of XCD=GTs with leather boots out on Tuesday at HP and conditions were perfect for them. The 195s from the mid 90s were a lot better than the 215s from the late 80s but they both worked in that soft snow. I finished the day with T4s and fat scaled skis and much preferred the smoothness and precision of that set up.

I'd be happy to meet up to give you some things to work on if you're interested. I bet I can teach you the jump turn. I met Joe up there on Sunday and gave him some pointers.

I saw a young girl on xc race skis doing little jump turns on the steep section between Gold Cord and Independence mines on Sunday and it was a thing of beauty.

ᚠᚨᚱ ᚾᛟᚱᚦ ᛊᚲᛁᛖᚱ

Post by ᚠᚨᚱ ᚾᛟᚱᚦ ᛊᚲᛁᛖᚱ » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:34 pm

jyw5 wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:05 am

I have watched it a couple times, he's so nimble. I have used the jump turn in tight areas. I haven't learned to link them fluidly though. I usually traverse, jump, traverse if I'm uncomfortable with the angle or if I encounter an obstacle while traversing. I think I will get a set of Gammes for next season, or maybe the next one after that (I too have tested the limits of my wife's tolerance, "I swear honey, after this set I won't need any more skis."). They're so light compared to anything I have.
Last edited by ᚠᚨᚱ ᚾᛟᚱᚦ ᛊᚲᛁᛖᚱ on Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ᚠᚨᚱ ᚾᛟᚱᚦ ᛊᚲᛁᛖᚱ

Post by ᚠᚨᚱ ᚾᛟᚱᚦ ᛊᚲᛁᛖᚱ » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:46 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:41 am
I'd be happy to meet up to give you some things to work on if you're interested. I bet I can teach you the jump turn. I met Joe up there on Sunday and gave him some pointers.

I saw a young girl on xc race skis doing little jump turns on the steep section between Gold Cord and Independence mines on Sunday and it was a thing of beauty.
Yeah I'd like to get up there again on Sunday maybe. I'll probably work on some skills with my XC setup. Using the vagabonds made it kind of easy to cheat into Pturns whereas my Fischers turn a lot better with a tele than a parellel (in my limited experience).

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:31 pm

ᚠᚨᚱ ᚾᛟᚱᚦ ᛊᚲᛁᛖᚱ wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:46 pm
lowangle al wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:41 am

Yeah I'd like to get up there again on Sunday maybe. I'll probably work on some skills with my XC setup. Using the vagabonds made it kind of easy to cheat into Pturns whereas my Fischers turn a lot better with a tele than a parellel (in my limited experience).
Hi Ian, sorry I referred to you as Joe above. The vagabonds were big for those leather boots but you were doing a good job with the P turns. Are they your only skis with 3pins? Otherwise any well balanced set up will work if the conditions are like they were. I hope to see you there. I'll text you when I'm going, probably start around 10 or 11.

ᚠᚨᚱ ᚾᛟᚱᚦ ᛊᚲᛁᛖᚱ

Post by ᚠᚨᚱ ᚾᛟᚱᚦ ᛊᚲᛁᛖᚱ » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:48 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:31 pm
Hi Ian, sorry I referred to you as Joe above. The vagabonds were big for those leather boots but you were doing a good job with the P turns. Are they your only skis with 3pins? Otherwise any well balanced set up will work if the conditions are like they were. I hope to see you there. I'll text you when I'm going, probably start around 10 or 11.
I just figured you must've run into him again up there. Right now the vagabonds are the only 3 pin setup I have.
The other setup I have is nnn BC.
I just got another set of 3 pin bindings.
20210429_172504.jpg
I'll probably put them on on my son's skis since I got him a set of Asolo Extremes to use for next season.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:41 pm

ᚠᚨᚱ ᚾᛟᚱᚦ ᛊᚲᛁᛖᚱ wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:55 pm
I'm aware that the combat NATO may be better than either one, but it is not really available on the North American market that I know of.
The Norseman- Calgary, Alberta, Canada. My understanding is that the Combat Nato is THE backcountry Nordic touring ski that they stock.

Also- how much of an issue is breakable crust in your context?

I ask this because- aside from breakable crust- the Ingstad BC is the ski you are looking for.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:45 pm

I am curious as to whether the Asnes Sverdrup ski will be stable in deep soft snow- I kinda doubt it-

If the Sverdrup has the camber and stiffness underfoot that Asnes is describing- as in it is stiffer and more cambered underfoot than the Ingstad BC- yet it will be as playful and turnable as the Nansen-
then surely the Sverdrup will have soft, flexible shovel and tail?
If so- it will be unstable in deep soft snow...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

ᚠᚨᚱ ᚾᛟᚱᚦ ᛊᚲᛁᛖᚱ

Post by ᚠᚨᚱ ᚾᛟᚱᚦ ᛊᚲᛁᛖᚱ » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:23 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:41 pm
Also- how much of an issue is breakable crust in your context?

I ask this because- aside from breakable crust- the Ingstad BC is the ski you are looking for.
It actually isn't that big of an issue, but when it is, it is a big one. I'm very curious what the Ingstad offers in this context.

*After re-reading your review on the Ingstad I think I understand. It would definitely be a ski I would like to try and there are some contexts where it would be a lot of fun. My longest tour this winter would've benefited from it on the descent, at least early on. The longest portion of the descent was very gradual on snowmobile trails, which the Ingstad might not be so good for. This does not reflect my typical tour, however, which is described below.

What I have a lot of, or rather, what I choose to ski on most often, is deep soft snow. Mostly flat or rolling. But with the occasional tree studded hill. At the end of winter it was deep soft snow with a breakable crust. I am mostly looking at this from a XCd perspective, but with the occasional downhill. I have a wide downhill ski for up down laps, I have the Fischer 88 (which isn't terrible in the conditions I've described). I was kind of thinking I wanted to get a narrower (than the 88), fast (when skiing over previously broken trail), waxless ski that is stable for touring in deep soft snow. What I don't want for this context is a ski that bows too much or has a softer, rockered tip that will flex up while the rest of the ski sinks (this problem seems to he magnified in breakable crust). I'm strongly considering some USGI skis until I've generated enough goodwill with the spouse to justify purchasing new skis (I'm leaning toward Gamme at the moment). I'm also thinking of getting a few extra sets of the USGIs that I can loan out to others who might be interested.