Wildly speculative talk about Asnes 21-22 lineup: Otto/FT62

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Re: Wildly speculative talk about Asnes 21-22 lineup: Otto/FT62

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Fri May 07, 2021 8:28 pm

So amazing that most thread in TTalk end up being way of the mark from the OP!!! I think that is what keep me addicted to TTalk ;)

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Sat May 08, 2021 6:16 am

bgregoire wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 6:04 am
Yes I am very aware of this and just stating the obvious, how the advertizing does it thing.
These are the ways of the world. Wait Johnny, are you saying that there is so much more to this life than emotions and desires, pleasure and pain? Are you saying that there might be a way out of it?!? 8-)

Doesn't mean I'm going to run out and buy myself another 3 pairs of skis a year. Oh no. That would be ludicrous.
Yeees, you should definitely do it! Surrender! Feeeeel the joys of the telemark ski obsession! (And the pain of storage issues!) But just make sure to grab the old FT62's with the original magical alpine camber, and the old Rabb 68 WITHOUT the new grooved bases! 8-)

By the way, I'm getting the feeling that you are not picking up on my humour in these statements? Perhaps I need to do just that, let my emotions express themselves more freely?! That first quote supporting Woods' opinion and Crister's response was serious however. :roll:
Trust me I do...! :D

And you are free to support whatever opinion you believe...

Only, I have read some SERIOUS technical BULLSHIT here and elsewhere in the last few years. Twisted technical facts poetically turned into promotional propaganda that people end up believing and supporting. But hey, I don't want to break anyone's fun... So please just excuse me if I stick to the facts instead of being caught into social engineering and friendly corporate poetry...
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Post by joeatomictoad » Sat May 08, 2021 1:05 pm

Johnny wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 6:16 am
...So please just excuse me if I stick to the facts instead of being caught into social engineering and friendly corporate poetry...
Point well noted. Understand your point of view. Keeping the cynic alive is so important for critical reasoning, and I fully embrace that. Maybe we are all plugged into the matrix; cannot be disproven.

The red pill is not an option for me, so I still want to enjoy the ride no matter where it goes or who's operating it.

Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Post by Musk Ox » Sat May 08, 2021 1:52 pm

joeatomictoad wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 1:05 pm
The red pill is not an option for me, so I still want to enjoy the ride no matter where it goes or who's operating it.
This stuff works because it's actually founded on some basic truths. While I'm really enjoying myself, I genuinely feel like a nine-year-old superhero experiencing a unique and unrepeatable pleasure, and this has nothing whatsoever to do with facts and everything to do with the vibe conjured in promotional videos about skis made by Norwegians.

That clip with the rousing music and the bad poetry in it with the skis? I promise you (sorry Norwegians): that film was made by skiing nuts to advertise products made by ski nerds, and while they were making it they were thinking "Skiing is fucking AWESOME, and wait until the other skiers hear about these fucking awesome SKIS! This is excellent, this is maybe the best film about skiing ever made, did you see Trond's TURNS there?!?! Let's really try and capture that awesome thing about skiing that makes other skiing people love skiing."

This may sound absurd, but I swear that this is true. They want to sell skis, I'm sure they do, but what some read as cynicism here really truly is not. This is a) Norway and b) skis in Norway.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sun May 09, 2021 5:24 am

Musk Ox wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 1:52 pm

This stuff works because it's actually founded on some basic truths. While I'm really enjoying myself, I genuinely feel like a nine-year-old superhero experiencing a unique and unrepeatable pleasure, and this has nothing whatsoever to do with facts and everything to do with the vibe conjured in promotional videos about skis made by Norwegians.

That clip with the rousing music and the bad poetry in it with the skis? I promise you (sorry Norwegians): that film was made by skiing nuts to advertise products made by ski nerds, and while they were making it they were thinking "Skiing is fucking AWESOME, and wait until the other skiers hear about these fucking awesome SKIS! This is excellent, this is maybe the best film about skiing ever made, did you see Trond's TURNS there?!?! Let's really try and capture that awesome thing about skiing that makes other skiing people love skiing."

This may sound absurd, but I swear that this is true. They want to sell skis, I'm sure they do, but what some read as cynicism here really truly is not. This is a) Norway and b) skis in Norway.
Yeah, Asnes is a pretty small/tiny company compared to the other giants. If they make a ski video and it gets me PUMPED I'm all on board. I can't be bashing on every company out there, unless I'm willing to make my own high-end skis. Let's face it, I don't have the tooling, the know-how, the time to do so. I've latched my wagon onto the Asnes choo-choo.

Let's ride!

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Sun May 09, 2021 12:13 pm

Musk Ox wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 1:52 pm
That clip with the rousing music and the bad poetry in it with the skis? I promise you (sorry Norwegians): that film was made by skiing nuts to advertise products made by ski nerds, and while they were making it they were thinking "Skiing is fucking AWESOME, and wait until the other skiers hear about these fucking awesome SKIS!
Woodserson wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 5:24 am
Yeah, Asnes is a pretty small/tiny company compared to the other giants. If they make a ski video and it gets me PUMPED I'm all on board. I can't be bashing on every company out there
Just to be clear, I totally agree with you! 8-)
I was not talking about that video...
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Post by Musk Ox » Sun May 09, 2021 2:09 pm

Ah, right! I was imagining conversations like

"Hei Arne, do you want to come and walk up a hill with me wearing GoreTex?"
"No, Leif Magne, I am feeling sad. Look at this conversation about our film on a Telemark forum."
"Arne, do not lose heart. Skiing IS the best thing in the world."
"I know. But I do not understand how we could be so misunderstood when our intentions were so pure."
"Come round and see my new boots. I have a small bottle of microbrewed lambic beer."
"Are you sure?"
"You are my best friend."

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun May 09, 2021 9:15 pm

Asnes' videos speak to me on a deep level-

PASSION, BEAUTY, JOY- as well as something ancient that is underneath- something that calls me to want to see what is on the other side of the horizon.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Tue May 11, 2021 1:52 pm

Musk Ox wrote:
Sun May 09, 2021 2:09 pm
Ah, right! I was imagining conversations like

"Hei Arne, do you want to come and walk up a hill with me wearing GoreTex?"
"No, Leif Magne, I am feeling sad. Look at this conversation about our film on a Telemark forum."
"Arne, do not lose heart. Skiing IS the best thing in the world."
"I know. But I do not understand how we could be so misunderstood when our intentions were so pure."
"Come round and see my new boots. I have a small bottle of microbrewed lambic beer."
"Are you sure?"
"You are my best friend."
This is amazing

I feel like I am there!

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:57 am

bgregoire wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 5:04 pm

Oh man. They hit me through the core with this ad. Man I'm stoked. Bring it on.

I agree with ya'll. Not interested in a double camber Falketind. The tuned Rabb 68 sound great. If I get it, I might manage to free myself of several other lesser skis.
How about this one? This one is driving me MAD right now

get me outta this summer someone please now