Wildly speculative talk about Asnes 21-22 lineup: Otto/FT62

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
jyw5

Re: Wildly speculative talk about Asnes 21-22 lineup: Otto/FT62

Post by jyw5 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:52 am

wow. nice video. im getting gamme 54 next season and a pair of alfa polars. shit. and maybe the nosi 76 if I can hide them at the office.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:21 pm

jyw5 wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:52 am
wow. nice video. im getting gamme 54 next season and a pair of alfa polars. shit. and maybe the nosi 76 if I can hide them at the office.
I've got a pair of like new Alfa Polars 44 that need a new home!

Woods, that video is awesome. Brings back some fond memories of northern scandinavia. Will be going back soon, I promise myself.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:49 am

jyw5 wrote:
For the type of weirdo snow condition skiing you are doing with skins-on, the Nosi is a perfect fit. Stiff, 76 in the waist, just stop it. Get them!

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:51 am

I think the Otto is a no-brainer for me.

I ski mostly consolidated snow.
I love my E99/Gamme but sometimes want more width for manky snow.
The Ingstads excel in softer snow, which is nice but I don't get that all the time.
I really dig 205cm for me, it's the everything length for me.
The Gammes come in a 210 or 200-- but 205 is really where I want them.

I'll get a slightly wider platform, decent camber underfoot, and in a 205 length.

This conversation is over, it's decided.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:16 am

Woodserson wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:51 am

The Ingstads excel in softer snow, which is nice but I don't get that all the time.

I'll get a slightly wider platform, decent camber underfoot, and in a 205 length.

Summertime mania

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:27 pm

Woodserson wrote:

You’re killing me Woods! I ski mostly consolidated snow, and I’m thinking Nansen. At my 190 lbs. I believe I can bend them into a turn, but still have acceptable kick and glide. I actually am also thinking that they will flex a bit in 3-D snow, at least much closer to a single camber than the Green Man.
I’m certainly not talking about replacing the Green Man, more of a between a Falketind and a Gamme ski, for those that don’t live in big snow country.
The Otto is supposed to have Gamme-like camber, with more rocker. The camber on the Gamme works nicely for me, as long as the surface isn’t completely refrozen or hard packed. The rocker on the Gamme, and some rotation turn nicely with even an inch of non-consolidated material. However, that rocker only allows me to rotate the Gamme, I never really bend the 210 Gamme even at 190 lbs, and going as fast as the skis will go down the hill.
So that is why I think Nansen, a little softer, but still a backcountry XC ski. When it’s too deep for the FT, the Tindan is great! Also, when it’s deep and fresh, I’m touring for turns, and doing laps. I have winters where there is no touring for turns, if it’s 8” and fluffy, I’m doing a turn tour. So for me, that means I don’t need an Ingstad either.
You can sell me that Nansen though, just to make room for Otto. I’m only trying to help you out!

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:46 pm

fisheater wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:27 pm

You’re killing me Woods! I ski mostly consolidated snow, and I’m thinking Nansen. At my 190 lbs. I believe I can bend them into a turn, but still have acceptable kick and glide. I actually am also thinking that they will flex a bit in 3-D snow, at least much closer to a single camber than the Green Man.
I’m certainly not talking about replacing the Green Man, more of a between a Falketind and a Gamme ski, for those that don’t live in big snow country.
The Otto is supposed to have Gamme-like camber, with more rocker. The camber on the Gamme works nicely for me, as long as the surface isn’t completely refrozen or hard packed. The rocker on the Gamme, and some rotation turn nicely with even an inch of non-consolidated material. However, that rocker only allows me to rotate the Gamme, I never really bend the 210 Gamme even at 190 lbs, and going as fast as the skis will go down the hill.
So that is why I think Nansen, a little softer, but still a backcountry XC ski. When it’s too deep for the FT, the Tindan is great! Also, when it’s deep and fresh, I’m touring for turns, and doing laps. I have winters where there is no touring for turns, if it’s 8” and fluffy, I’m doing a turn tour. So for me, that means I don’t need an Ingstad either.
You can sell me that Nansen though, just to make room for Otto. I’m only trying to help you out!
I really should write up a review of the Nansen. It's awesome, it was my primary ski this year, but I think it's awesome because I weigh much less than you. Here's why I want an Otto, even though I love the Nansen-- I want to be able to use Klister and Skins without excessive drag, and I the Nansen isn't the best platform for that. The Gamme is. The Ingstad is to a lesser degree. The Otto should be it too.

I bet the Otto falls in between the Ingstad and the Gamme in terms of camber and stiffness.

I'm not sure if the Nansen is for you. It's a long ski that squashes flat relatively easily. It does NOT squash as flat as the prior versions of the ski do, (I also have a mid-90's model that is softer) but I think using Klister on it would be a drag (pun!).

If you want to do turns on a long ski-- then by all means the Nansen could be your ticket for sure! If you want efficiency at your 190lbs... then I would look at the Otto or the Ingstad. But since you're in southern Michigan... prob the Otto. We shall see when we gets our hands on it, we will.

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:31 am

Woodserson wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:49 am
jyw5 wrote:
For the type of weirdo snow condition skiing you are doing with skins-on, the Nosi is a perfect fit. Stiff, 76 in the waist, just stop it. Get them!
Yes. I want them!! I bought 2 pairs of skis in 2020, so I'm grounded until next season. The S112 works. Been having fun on sloppy deep slush....but dreaming of a short Asnes ski on an inch of light powder over a solid base. It's raining today so it should start to thin out and will refreeze. And still snowing up high...probably a blizzard at 5000ft+ ... can't wait to get on that next wk when the road opens. I might take the Skogs with full skins and Xskins on the first trip up to the glacier and see how they do. alot of times the snow is very crusty on the glacier...bad for S112. Hopefully will have a light dusting of new snow when I go. I will report back as this will be my 1st summer with the Skogs.

riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Post by riel » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:12 am

Woodserson wrote:

I'll have to try yours next winter ;)

For me there is still the open question of whether between the Sondre, the Ingstad, the Traverse 78, and the Gamme, there isn't already so much overlap between those skis that there's much of a space for the Sverdrup...

Of course, if I didn't already have those other skis, the Otto Sverdrup would be a no-brainer.

Maybe I do need a ski in that width, flex, and camber without fishscales? :)

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:18 am

Woodserson wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:49 am
jyw5 wrote:

yeah. check out today's conditions. ...still managed to ski 3000ft vertical.