Wildly speculative talk about Asnes 21-22 lineup: Otto/FT62

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
jyw5

Re: Wildly speculative talk about Asnes 21-22 lineup: Otto/FT62

Post by jyw5 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:06 pm

yes, woods. foot traffic is usually very deep prints and some postholes. snowboarders and dog walkers like to walk on the trail and ruin skin tracks and just generally piss all over it (literally). I think the Sverdrup has alot more stability than Skog, MT51, and FT62 (2019 version). I don't feel knocked around by kibble and bits, ruts, footprints, and postholes. I am able to make easy turns and have good contact with the snow even in fairly steep terrain when the snow is packed down (more on this later!).

So today was very interesting. The Sverdrup excelled on hard packed snow. It did not do well in deep snow. I skiied everything from flat trail to a steep slope (would be a double black at a resort). My conclusion is that it would handle resort groomers from green circle to black diamond. I'm sure people who are way better skiiers than I ever will be could ski double black just fine. I sank up past my knees and when I crashed I would sometimes be almost to my waist in snow today.

The tip is too soft to cut through deep powder. I am finding that I have to lunge 1 ski forward to stay balanced otherwise there is a tendency to fall forward when the tips are unable to cut through the powder. I don't recall the Skog ever having this issue. This of course could be because I am skiing short at 175cm vs. a proper length is most likely 180cm. I am however impressed with its turning ability on packed trail and in the skin track on the way down. The skis as expected are blazing fast.

One thing I did notice is that I still have trouble on crust. It isn't too bad if it isnt very steep. And its ok if I'm using full length straight skins...may be better than the Skog but hard to say as today's conditions are still pretty good.

I will use my FT62 tomorrow to see if there is any difference in the deep powder. I will pay close attention to the tips and see if I'm finding any resistance like the Sverdrup. (basically try to see if its the skis or the snow)
could also be user error. lol

And I skiied 10.5mi for 4500ft vertical today just to be thorough.
FB_IMG_1638678734659.jpg
Screenshot_20211204-174828_Strava.jpg
Last edited by jyw5 on Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:26 pm

I love what you're doing using the short length and using it as an approach/AT ski in steep terrain and just killing it. It makes me want to try something like that for sure.

This was the fear with the "flexible tips" and deep snow Of course you could get a stiffer ski by sizing up as well, at the loss of maneuverability, prob not what you were looking for.

Have you thought of an Ingstad? I found that ski to be quite stable in the deeper snow. More than the Nansen in the same length. By stable I mean: going downhill, making turns in deep enough snow so that it's a 3 dimensional medium, and not getting knocked around (as much). The Ingstad will be lighter than the same length Otto... Or it should. Which could do different things... Like make it unstable in chunky conditions.

I'm using my skis to travel distances over gentle rolling terrain, so a completely different application, but that's what I've found.

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:37 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:26 pm
I love what you're doing using the short length and using it as an approach/AT ski in steep terrain and just killing it. It makes me want to try something like that for sure.

This was the fear with the "flexible tips" and deep snow Of course you could get a stiffer ski by sizing up as well, at the loss of maneuverability, prob not what you were looking for.

Have you thought of an Ingstad? I found that ski to be quite stable in the deeper snow. More than the Nansen in the same length. By stable I mean: going downhill, making turns in deep enough snow so that it's a 3 dimensional medium, and not getting knocked around (as much). The Ingstad will be lighter than the same length Otto... Or it should. Which could do different things... Like make it unstable in chunky conditions.

I'm using my skis to travel distances over gentle rolling terrain, so a completely different application, but that's what I've found.
Thanks. Yes. I thought about the Ingstad then decided against it because deep snow seems to only happen from December to January. Ingstad for me would be severely under used. not much time to ski in december because of super short days (sunrise at 10:30 and it feels dark at 2:30pm!) and also I am usually out of town for the holidays. We also try to go to the resort at least one day in December or January. I'm sure the Ingstad probably would have been the better ski today. We will see how the FT62 does tomorrow.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:34 am

Stephen wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:43 pm
fisheater wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:03 pm
@lilcliffy ... you have lots of ski reviews to write this season!
Dude, you do!
:lol:

Thinking about the forward shift on the Otto, makes sense, based on ratio of tip to tail width for the Nanson vs Otto.
Otto has a proportionally wider tip and narrower tail that would tip the balance point forward.
It will be interesting how all of this complex geometry plays out on the snow...
(BTW- the balance point on the 205 Sverdrup is more than 2cm forwards of BP on the 205 Ingstad (Nansen BP is forward of Ingstad))

I am left with the impression that the R&D of this Sverdrup ski is off-the-chart for a Nordic touring ski...
My point being that I doubt very much that the location of BP is simply a by-product of the sidecut geometry of the Sverdrup- I would think it is intentional...
The Sverdrup has significant rocker in the shovel- shortening its effective edge (i.e. compared to the 205 Nansen), and- if mounted at balance point- placing one's foot further forward on the effective edge.

My point being that at BP- the Sverdrup is WAAAY forward of the Nansen with respect to effective edge...

I have also realized that I didn't even consult with Asnes with regards to mounting point...

QUESTION- where has everyone else mounted bindings on the Sverdrup ski?
Gareth
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:43 am

lilcliffy wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:34 am
Stephen wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:43 pm
fisheater wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:03 pm
@lilcliffy ... you have lots of ski reviews to write this season!
Dude, you do!
:lol:

Thinking about the forward shift on the Otto, makes sense, based on ratio of tip to tail width for the Nanson vs Otto.
Otto has a proportionally wider tip and narrower tail that would tip the balance point forward.
It will be interesting how all of this complex geometry plays out on the snow...
(BTW- the balance point on the 205 Sverdrup is more than 2cm forwards of BP on the 205 Ingstad (Nansen BP is forward of Ingstad))

I am left with the impression that the R&D of this Sverdrup ski is off-the-chart for a Nordic touring ski...
My point being that I doubt very much that the location of BP is simply a by-product of the sidecut geometry of the Sverdrup- I would think it is intentional...
The Sverdrup has significant rocker in the shovel- shortening its effective edge (i.e. compared to the 205 Nansen), and- if mounted at balance point- placing one's foot further forward on the effective edge.

My point being that at BP- the Sverdrup is WAAAY forward of the Nansen with respect to effective edge...

I have also realized that I didn't even consult with Asnes with regards to mounting point...

QUESTION- where has everyone else mounted bindings on the Sverdrup ski?
Gareth
Gareth, look at the picture of your skis. The attachment point of the skins is also forward compared to the Nansen in line with the higher BO point. So i would think that this is part of the design of the ski and I think this is good news if using those skis for multi days trip with a heavy load. I have already mentioned my experience with the Ingstad in that context and that the rocker was not leaving much skis on the snow when climbing narrow steep trails like in the Monts Valins for those who have skied there. I guess it also plays a big part on those skis being so turny as already reported by this lucky guy from Alaska ;)

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:13 am

Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:43 am
Gareth, look at the picture of your skis. The attachment point of the skins is also forward compared to the Nansen in line with the higher BO point. So i would think that this is part of the design of the ski and I think this is good news if using those skis for multi days trip with a heavy load. I have already mentioned my experience with the Ingstad in that context and that the rocker was not leaving much skis on the snow when climbing narrow steep trails like in the Monts Valins for those who have skied there. I guess it also plays a big part on those skis being so turny as already reported by this lucky guy from Alaska ;)
Here is another photo-
20211205_120314.jpg
The skin-attachment point is essentially identical between the 205 Sverdrup/Ingstad...
You are right- it is signficantly further back on the 205 Nansen WL.
(I seem to recall some difference in this regard between the Nansen WL vs BC?)

With regards to your comment @Nitram Tocrut about the climbing performance of the Ingstad- I am not sure that the Sverdrup will be better...

Rocker certainly does not improve climbing traction and stability!

The shovel is rock-solid-stable on the Ingstad- I still get good grip (with grip wax) from the shovel in deep snow (obviously does nothing when climbing on consolidated snow).

The shovel on the Sverdup is more flexible but is still remarkably stable- will be interesting to see how the Sverdrup performs in deep snow...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

corlay
Ski style: Woodland XC-BC tours
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme 54, Fischer Transnordic 66, Fischer Traverse 78; Madshus Birke Beiner, Peltonen METSA
Favorite boots: Crispi Norland Hook BC, Fischer BC Grand Tour

Post by corlay » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:30 am

lilcliffy wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:13 am
Here is another photo-
20211205_120314.jpg
Do you have to look these Men in the eyes,
and apologize to those you havent selected for that day’s tur? lol

Nice Collection!

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:55 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:13 am
Here is another photo-
20211205_120314.jpg
The skin-attachment point is essentially identical between the 205 Sverdrup/Ingstad...

With regards to your comment @Nitram Tocrut about the climbing performance of the Ingstad- I am not sure that the Sverdrup will be better...

Rocker certainly does not improve climbing traction and stability!

The shovel is rock-solid-stable on the Ingstad- I still get good grip (with grip wax) from the shovel in deep snow (obviously does nothing when climbing on consolidated snow).

The shovel on the Sverdup is more flexible but is still remarkably stable- will be interesting to see how the Sverdrup performs in deep snow...
Back to my comments about my experience in the Monts Valins. At that time I had the 195 Ingstad so the experience would have been, probably, different with the 205 I now have. The skin attachment point is likely the same for Ingstad and Sverdrup but the BP is more forward for the Sverdrup… just wonder how will that translate for the overall performance of the Sverdrup. Very intriguing ski…

エイダン.シダル

Post by エイダン.シダル » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:19 pm

So I'm completely overwhelmed by which ski I want now...

I've got idle Alico Snow March boots, and Voile Cable Telemark bindings (I'd put on modest risers). Should I put them on new/old Falketinds/Rabbs if I can get them?
Will the Rabb, or the FT, be the better ski for learning light tele technique?

For what?
- Ontario/PQ hilly trails, and some inbound
- medium density snow the norm, transforming into hardpack and ice
- also groomed
- Chic-Chocs some day...

To be more succinct: can heavy leathers get the most out of Rabbs, or would I want something like T4s?

I'm well set-up already for the lower angle stuff: Gammes and Fischer S Bound Outabound 88s, both on NNN BC. Praying for the shipment delays to dump on the market off-season for sales. A vain hope I know.
Last edited by エイダン.シダル on Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:32 pm

エイダン.シダル wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:19 pm
So I'm completely overwhelmed by which ski I want now...

I've got idle Alico Snow March boots, and Voile Cable Telemark bindings (I'd put on modest risers). Should I put them on new/old Falketinds/Rabbs if I can get them?
Will the Rabb, or the FT, be the better ski for learning light tele technique?

For what?
- Ontario/PQ hilly trails, and some inbound
- ice, hardpack, and medium density snow the norm, as well as groomed

I'm well set-up already for the lower angle stuff: Gammes and Fischer S Bound Outabound 88s, both on NNN BC.
It seems like @jyw5 has tackled somewhat this problem with shorted (than recommended) narrow, stiffer skis. Don’t remember the specifics, but maybe he will comment?
Definitely not the FT62, and I’m guessing not the Rabb.
Last edited by Stephen on Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.