Barn find tele gear !! Untouched in 30 years

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
bauerb

Barn find tele gear !! Untouched in 30 years

Post by bauerb » Mon May 17, 2021 1:45 pm

so these are all in a real barn at my parents house in Vermont....and I really just found them this weekend. I haven't touched the stuff since college in the 80s/90s...but maybe the Atomics are newer? I really don't know

The Atomics were prob bought used in the 90's, but I can't remember exactly. the Orange and yellow Sarners are a mystery. I don't remember them but they are with my other stuff. does anyone know what these are?
Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 10.49.36 AM.png

the green Fischers were a full cambered nordic ski with metal edges. I tried tele on them but they did not have tele bindings
Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 10.49.21 AM.png

the pink Fischers are prob from the very early 90's or late 80's. I remember being excited about the flashy graphics
Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 10.49.07 AM.png

My old jumping skis that I discovered could work for Tele if you loosened up the cables. back in the day we couldn't afford specialty jumping skis so we used longer alpine skis. this jumping setup would be from the late 70's or very early 80s
Screen Shot 2021-05-17 at 1.36.40 PM copy.jpg

fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Re: Barn find tele gear !! Untouched in 30 years

Post by fgd135 » Mon May 17, 2021 2:19 pm

With a good table saw you have enough old skis to make a nice adirondack chair for your porch!
Sarner still manufactures downhill skis, those must be a 1980s version with very little sidecut.
The Fischer GTX were pretty decent tele skis on hardpack, but seemed a bit too stiff for backcountry skiing...the old green ones are first-gen E99's with aluminum edges, or late model E77's, never intended for anything but touring.
All are good candidates for a lawn chair or a coat rack.
Last edited by fgd135 on Mon May 17, 2021 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Mon May 17, 2021 2:32 pm

fgd135 wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 2:19 pm
With a good table saw you have enough old skis to make a nice adirondack chair for your porch!
Sarner still manufactures skis, but I've never seen a pair like those.
The Fischer GTX were pretty decent tele skis on hardpack, but seemed a bit too stiff for backcountry skiing...the old green ones are first-gen E99's with aluminum edges, or late model E77's, never intended for anything but touring.
All are good candidates for a lawn chair or a coat rack.
Those green e99s are useful skis for sure. One of my ski buddies always shows up for early season tours with those in 215 cm and kicks our asses.

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Mon May 17, 2021 3:37 pm

I just noticed that there are some really old wooden alpine skis with cable bindings in the last picture. I'll bet the leather boots are there too. my first alpine skis were wooden, but I was 5yo and mine would have been much shorter.

I did always wonder why those old style jumping bindings were not adopted for tele instead of 3-pin. I never saw anyone but myself using them for tele. but I guess I had access to jumping boots and skis/bindings. btw, old ski jump boots were nothing like you see today. back then they were basically duck-bill hiking boots.

for those older tele skis, I'm sure I was using Asolo Extremes with Nordica alpine boot cuffs held on with web straps....DIY Merrill Super-comps...which no one I knew could afford.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon May 17, 2021 3:54 pm

My green Fischer E99s are fantastic crud busting XC skis, I love them. You could sell them to someone on this site, which is a secret E99 fanclub. Disregard the sacrilege proffered by fgd135.

fgd135

Post by fgd135 » Mon May 17, 2021 5:43 pm

bauerb wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 3:37 pm
snip...
for those older tele skis, I'm sure I was using Asolo Extremes with Nordica alpine boot cuffs held on with web straps....DIY Merrill Super-comps...snip
We all did that! Some people I knew actually drilled holes in the uppers of the Extremes and used T nuts to attach the cuffs...Nordica rental boots, the primary source, were usually discards from ski rental shops, free and plentiful, fished out of dumpsters.
Last edited by fgd135 on Mon May 17, 2021 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

fgd135

Post by fgd135 » Mon May 17, 2021 5:46 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 3:54 pm
My green Fischer E99s are fantastic crud busting XC skis, I love them. You could sell them to someone on this site, which is a secret E99 fanclub. Disregard the sacrilege proffered by fgd135.
I think you can still find green E99s here and there, on fleabay and cretinslist, esp. if you want a 215 or 220cm, very manly lengths.

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Tue May 18, 2021 7:56 am

my dad is looking for those army surplus skis/bindings that work with his army "Mickey Mouse boots". I bet he would be happy to bundle up some of the skis in my pictures as a trade if anyone has a set of those surplus army skis/bindings. or does anyone know a source to buy those surplus skis?

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Tue May 18, 2021 8:33 am

bauerb wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 7:56 am
my dad is looking for those army surplus skis/bindings that work with his army "Mickey Mouse boots". I bet he would be happy to bundle up some of the skis in my pictures as a trade if anyone has a set of those surplus army skis/bindings. or does anyone know a source to buy those surplus skis?
I have a set of the universal bindings that match up to the holes on the Asnes surplus skis. Let me know if your dad wants them

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Tue May 18, 2021 1:04 pm

are these the Asnes you are talking about? https://colemans.com/u-s-g-i-cross-coun ... kis-2-pair

2 pairs for $29? how is that even possible....