Brutal crash thread

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Re: Brutal crash thread

Post by joeatomictoad » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:33 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:15 am
Cody sends it big and lands on his hip--
I could have added sooo much more more brutality to this trick.

telerat
Ski style: Telemark, backcountry nordic and cross country skiing.
Favorite Skis: Any ski suitable for telemark or backcountry skiing, with some side-cut for turning.
Favorite boots: Scarpa plastic telemark. Asolo and Alfa leather boots.

Post by telerat » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:12 am

Fred Syversen's unintended world record drop should probably be here:

He made it clear that a drop should have a proper landing to count though. The video doesn't make me cringe, but he was incredibly lucky to escape almost unharmed.

The video of Ian McIntosh's crash that followed when I watched the above was also quite epic:

None of them was very brutal, except for the scale. This one was though, but Sam Smoothy was incredibly lucky to be more or less fine afterwards:

randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Post by randoskier » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:44 am

No brutal crash thread would be complete without the Agony of Defeat!

At least for my generation.

Many say this weekly clip destroyed the sport of Ski Jumping in the USA, protective mothers cringed.

Vinko Bogataj is Slovenian , he is a retired fork-lift driver. He is also a very good painter of mountain scenes; we drove over to his house in Slovenia once to see if we could buy one, but nobody was home, will again after Covid. On a tribute show on ABC Wide World of Sports ABC tracked him down and flew him to NYC for it- he said the greatest thrill of his life was meeting Mohamed Ali on that show. He also said he did not have much agony and kept ski jumping then coaching ski jumping.

Mohamed Ali asked him for his autograph. "He didn't take Ali seriously that he wanted an autograph, because Muhammad Ali is a really famous guy," his daughter said. "That was a special moment."

The thrill of victory.... and the agony of defeat..

randoskier

Post by randoskier » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:09 am

One of Vinko's paintings, a cubist view of his hometown (Lesce) in Slovenia and the skier/artist with the man himself!
Mohamed Ali had very nice manners and a huge reservoir of kindness and dignity. Pretty good hook too.
ma.jpg
morning_in_lescew.jpg

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:10 am

ah, the Agony of Defeat. my generation grew up with that visual. when I was a kid I competed in Nordic Combined and jumped those Olympic style jumps. I can never recall falling on the in run, and in those days in run tracks were set by a forerunner, not a machine. as I recall, the biggest source of crashes was actually after you landed and weren't prepared for the compression as the steep landing hill flattened out at the bottom.

randoskier

Post by randoskier » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:35 am

bauerb wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:10 am
ah, the Agony of Defeat. my generation grew up with that visual. when I was a kid I competed in Nordic Combined and jumped those Olympic style jumps. I can never recall falling on the in run, and in those days in run tracks were set by a forerunner, not a machine. as I recall, the biggest source of crashes was actually after you landed and weren't prepared for the compression as the steep landing hill flattened out at the bottom.
Cool, I can not imagine the body control in the air part, off a high dive my feet are over my head! No Olympics for me man! That is the only time I have ever seen or heard of anyone falling on the approach. He explained it in an interview once forget what he said. He suffered a broken ankle and bruised ribs in this fall, recovered and went on with his sport. Still a big sport in Slovenia.

When we skied at Vogel in Slovenia (like going back in time in the Alps) we stayed at a apartment on a farm just outside Bohinj there. They had two little daughters I would guess were 11 and 12. They were all suited up and heading for the door in the early A.M.- we asked where they were going and they said "Ski competition". I asked slalom or downhill? The little one replied "Ski jump" the older one replied "Ski Flying". This little village had a huge wooden ski jump park in it.

They also have the best Nordic training facility in the East- Planica, a high plateau. Last time I was there the Russian biathlon team was training there, Iit was before the snow (I was hiking) they did roller-skis and shooting. Many eastern countries use this facility. They won a medal I think that next Olympics- I remember the joke when Russia lost in hockey to the US and Putin was seen storming out- they said he sent the biathlon team to shoot the hockey team.

Slovenia claims to have invented skiing which a lot of my Norse friends would dispute, but they have certainly contributed a lot to the sport. Engineers at Elan invented the parabolic ski in Slovenia where they are based. They also have one of the highest % of skiers per capita in the world. Great climbers as well, we are friends with Silvo Karo who is well known in alpinist circles and still climbing strong.

Beautiful country and friendly people,

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:24 am

in ski jumping, "body control in the air" is basically determined at take-off. you can make subtle adjustments in the air, but if you mess up the take-off, you have a big problem.

randoskier

Post by randoskier » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:04 pm

bauerb wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:24 am
in ski jumping, "body control in the air" is basically determined at take-off. you can make subtle adjustments in the air, but if you mess up the take-off, you have a big problem.
I am quite certain I would land on my head

randoskier

Post by randoskier » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:11 pm

joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Post by joeatomictoad » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:26 pm

Salisbury, Connecticut had a ski jump competition once a year. I remember going a few times at night in years past. Almost everyone had a bottle of spirits in their jacket to keep them warm. (You know the crowd.) Even with the bitter cold nights of February, it was always a fun time.

Didn't know much about the sport, but seemed like most of the competitors were kids from private schools & super skinny. Maybe the kids jumped at night, and the adults got the daytime slots?

https://janetserra.com/2021/01/30/watch ... d-14-2021/