Kom vs V6

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
turnfarmer

Kom vs V6

Post by turnfarmer » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:01 am

Anyone own both that can compare/contrast?

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: Kom vs V6

Post by Woodserson » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:47 pm

What lengths in each are you thinking?

turnfarmer

Post by turnfarmer » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:02 pm

174/173. Emphasis is on meadow skipping.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:59 pm

I have a 174 KOM and a 178 V6-- though in reality the 174 KOM is more than 4cm shorter than the V6-- I bet there would be more of a difference than 1cm between the two skis you are looking at.

They both schmear really nice and they are both very easy to turn. The less wide tail of the V6 allows for easier turn variety I feel like. The wider KOM tail hooks up in firm snow a bit more, but in softer snow it is quite dreamy.

I am quite partial to the big tall tip on the KOM for avoiding nose dive, especially when going slow, which is what meadow skipping usually entails. The lower profile tip of the V6 benefits from the rocker and flex of the ski, and I rarely get tip dive on it, but that is in a longer length. The bigger KOM tip offers lots of confidence.

Over feel wise the KOM is a little more klunky and raw while the V6 is smoother and quieter. Kind of subjective to talk about feelings but there's that. More noticeable on harder/granular surface. The KOM takes a bit more to turn, this is part of that rawness, while the V6 is more precise.

I run both with Voile X2's fwiw.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:00 pm

You know, for tight tree skiing/meadow skipping I kinda prefer the 162 KOM over the 174 KOM as long as the snow is not deeper than 8" or so. I got the 174 KOM for bigger hills, higher speeds. I'm 160lbs.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:08 pm

Hey TF, my wife got her V6s when we got back to Ak and she loves them. They are so turny that I've noticed her throwing in extra turns in tight spots that she never would have done on her vectors.

I'd say that if you were deciding between the Koms and the ultra vector that the Koms might be a better choice because of the price but the V6 is such a different ski it's probably worth the extra money. Especially if you don't already own a fun shaped powder board. I also think it will be a better carver than the Kom because it has more torsional stiffness. If I get another scaled powder board it will be the V6.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:21 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:59 pm
I have a 174 KOM and a 178 V6-- though in reality the 174 KOM is more than 4cm shorter than the V6-- I bet there would be more of a difference than 1cm between the two skis you are looking at.

They both schmear really nice and they are both very easy to turn. The less wide tail of the V6 allows for easier turn variety I feel like. The wider KOM tail hooks up in firm snow a bit more, but in softer snow it is quite dreamy.

I am quite partial to the big tall tip on the KOM for avoiding nose dive, especially when going slow, which is what meadow skipping usually entails. The lower profile tip of the V6 benefits from the rocker and flex of the ski, and I rarely get tip dive on it, but that is in a longer length. The bigger KOM tip offers lots of confidence.

Over feel wise the KOM is a little more klunky and raw while the V6 is smoother and quieter. Kind of subjective to talk about feelings but there's that. More noticeable on harder/granular surface. The KOM takes a bit more to turn, this is part of that rawness, while the V6 is more precise.

I've never had a problem with tip dive with my Voile skis and I ski them short. The only time I wished for higher tips was when skiing over logs laying across the trail.

Woods, from pictures I've seen the scaled bases of the Voiles and Koms look identical. I thought they might be the same. What is your take on this?

turnfarmer

Post by turnfarmer » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:05 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:59 pm

Thanks for thoughts,
I was dead set on Koms until I started looking at V6. I have a set of Charger BC that are too wide and too stiff for my uses.

The V6 seems to have a better rocker profile while the Kom tip is appealing. I'm going for the longer as I am chunky these days.

Which is lower camber of the two, that might influence my choice as with alpine skis I generally prefer low to flat or even slight reverse camber. But I realize a ski like this needs some camber to keep the fish scales from dragging.

Which is better at slow speed?

turnfarmer

Post by turnfarmer » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:08 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:08 pm
Hey TF, my wife got her V6s when we got back to Ak and she loves them. They are so turny that I've noticed her throwing in extra turns in tight spots that she never would have done on her vectors.

I'd say that if you were deciding between the Koms and the ultra vector that the Koms might be a better choice because of the price but the V6 is such a different ski it's probably worth the extra money. Especially if you don't already own a fun shaped powder board. I also think it will be a better carver than the Kom because it has more torsional stiffness. If I get another scaled powder board it will be the V6.
I think your right here, if t's a Voile, the V6 is the clear winner for what we do.

For my uses less torsional stiffness is ok, I'm sure the V6 is better as an all around ski.

turnfarmer

Post by turnfarmer » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:10 pm

Pennsylvania cow pasture meadow skipping
tracks.jpg