The Beer Thread

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: The Beer Thread

Post by fisheater » Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:32 pm

I like beer a lot, but I also like bacon Allen. As for beer, I used to drink a lot of good Michigan micro brews. However after the recession hit in September of 2008, I started living the High Life, as in Miller High Life. It’s inexpensive American beer. It’s my go to unless I want to have something in a cooler for a friend. Then I generally go for golden or red ales.
Covid also made me more frugal. I ran a project that ran through all the shutdowns. Not many places to eat. I now eat peanut butter and jelly 3-5 days a week.
I guess I have more money for skis and gas!

joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Post by joeatomictoad » Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:25 pm

fisheater wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:32 pm
I guess I have more money for skis and gas!
Admirable priorities. If PP&J kept me on the mountain more... then definitely PP&J for me, too.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:55 am

For me, ski and booze have always been indissociable. They go together like peanut butter and jelly. For over 30 years, there never was a single ski day without apres-ski here. Apres-ski was a scientific, mathematical, integral part of skiing:

SKIING = SKI + ( Booze + Warm crackling fireplace + Music + Good friends + Girls + Sauna + Hors d'oeuvres )

Then one day, this exact thought burst through my mind:
Woodserson wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:11 am
I can't even tell you how much I miss having a cold one with my neighbor on a hot summer afternoon. The simple small pleasures!

There was no way I could accept that. No way I would tolerate feeling sad or bad because perhaps one day I would miss the simple small pleasures. No fucking way. So instead of having this fear that one day living without the simple small pleasures could possibly bring me emotional pain, I deciced to fix the problem in advance and get rid of the simple small pleasures. It includes alcohol, but a lot of other things too... Now nothing can touch me, the only thing I can be is happy all the time, no matter the situation... 8-)

RabbitEars wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:04 pm
@Johnny the thing that is interesting me is that book. Can you recommend and will it make me a better skier?

I have all the books about telemark skiing... Some 30-40 of them.... The CANSI one is basically two things:

1- It's the most technical book about telemark and nordic skiing you can find. 384 pages showing you in minute details how to ski according to the official Canadian technique, whether it's downhill telemark or classic XC skiing. From biomechanics to world-cup skating techniques. It's purely technical: you won't find any nice pictures of the Sierras... Or gear recommendations... Or any kind of humor. It's like a ski Red Book. 8-)

2- While the content of the book is purely technical, the main focus here is teaching. Not only it shows how to become a level 100 cross-country and telemark skier, but it also shows how to teach it. It's a teacher's red book.

So yes, like several other books, I highly recommend it. And of course it sure will make you a better skier. But very sadly, it's not available to the public. The book is only available for CANSI members...
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

joeatomictoad

Post by joeatomictoad » Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:14 am

Johnny wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:55 am
For me, ski and booze have always been indissociable. They go together like peanut butter and jelly. For over 30 years, there never was a single ski day without apres-ski here. Apres-ski was a scientific, mathematical, integral part of skiing:

SKIING = SKI + ( Booze + Warm crackling fireplace + Music + Good friends + Girls + Sauna + Hors d'oeuvres ).
For me, I always feel a compulsion regardless of what's going on in the background. I have never had any objection to the social scene of apres-ski (ahem, Mont Tremblant on the weekend all the N. European college kids arrive), but it was never a pre-requisite.

I was never able to define this compulsion until I saw it in a parallel form. Corpus Christi, Texas is home to many salt water anglers. And for many locals, fishing is an uncontrollable compulsion. I remember taking a break at a highway rest stop in the area. Seeing this one guy looked like he was in the sun all day long with no sunscreen, and it was extremely obvious he was fishing offshore that day. He was sunburnt, he looked tired, he was miserable. But he had been fishing that day... misery be damned.

I reflected on this for a couple days... I'd rather be miserable skiing down a mountain in rain rather than not skiing at all. Perhaps now if I had better access to the mountains in my middle ages I would be more discerning. But until I can take it for granted, skiing still sparks that youngster in me to do childish things.

Johnny wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:55 am
...it's not available to the public. The book is only available for CANSI members...
Challenge accepted... engage.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:39 am

In 45 years of skiing I never drank alcohol while skiing, even at the resort. This changed last winter skiing in Pa. We found that we really enjoyed catching a good buzz while out on our local trails. I wondered why we never drank while skiing in Ak. and figured it would be something we do when we returned to ski there again.

Well we returned to Ak last March and after a dozen or so ski days, mostly meadow skipping (no avy risk) with a couple tours with no turns at all, I said to my wife "Ya know I don't have any desire to drink while skiing up here" She said she felt the same way and we never even thought of it again.

I don't know what the difference is. Naturally the terrain is better in Ak, but the stoke is about the same after a good day. It seems that skiing in Ak. is a celebration of skiing whereas in Pa. it is a celebration of life.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:06 am

joeatomictoad wrote:
Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:14 am
I have never had any objection to the social scene of apres-ski (ahem, Mont Tremblant on the weekend all the N. European college kids arrive), but it was never a pre-requisite.
Yeah well, not exactly my definition of apres-ski... Like what you see in the movies. Yuck.
My definition of apres-ski is very calm and quiet... Just relaxing by the fire really... Having a cigar and a 12+yo Scotch... It's almost Zen... Almost spiritual... 8-)

lowangle al wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:39 am
In 45 years of skiing I never drank alcohol while skiing, even at the resort.
In 43 years of skiing, I too never skied under the influence... Not a single time.
The "apres" reward must first be earned, you must deserve it... 8-)

lowangle al wrote:
I don't know what the difference is. Naturally the terrain is better in Ak, but the stoke is about the same after a good day. It seems that skiing in Ak. is a celebration of skiing whereas in Pa. it is a celebration of life.
It's all the same. At least for me:

SKIING is LIFE. And LIFE is SKIING.
Skiing is a celebration. Life is a celebration.
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

joeatomictoad

Post by joeatomictoad » Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:20 am

lowangle al wrote:
It seems that skiing in Ak. is a celebration of skiing whereas in Pa. it is a celebration of life.
That's the beautiful thing about USA, it has many different types of country to enjoy. The same thing in one land can be enjoyed differently than the same thing in a different land. Same thing, yes. Same experience, no.

"This land was made for you and me."

N.B. This is not to belittle other nations; they're cool too. I just can't speak to them on this topic unless it's in ignorance.)

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:00 pm

Joe when a man can’t express a love for his homeland without worrying about insulting someone else the problem isn’t with him. I would think that most happy people love their homeland, and learn to love the beauty of the natural world in their homeland.
I’m just fortunate enough to be born in a place where I can slide on snow. No, I never get all the snow I want and that goes back to when I was 3 or 4 years old. I certainly have gotten enough to develop a love of skiing. I consider myself fortunate to be where I am, but if I was born in a jungle I’m sure I would love the jungle

joeatomictoad

Post by joeatomictoad » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:17 pm

fisheater wrote:
Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:00 pm
Joe when a man can’t express a love for his homeland without worrying about insulting someone else the problem isn’t with him. I would think that most happy people love their homeland, and learn to love the beauty of the natural world in their homeland.
Good point! Just because some are not expressly included, does not imply they are excluded. Guess I overcompensated for the "me, too" ideology.

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:24 pm

Johnny wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:21 pm
Hold on a second... How's that possible? This forum is going to be 24 years old this winter, and there is still no official beer thread yet?!? In a place full of skiers, outdoor enthusiasts and New Englanders? Pretty hard to believe!!!

Here is a local one, from the Eastern Townships Brewery: The Sweep. A nice tribute to the guys who are telling us all the time to slow down, to buy leashes, to get real skis, to get out of the woods, that Cross-Country skiing is not allowed here and that nudity is forbidden on the slopes...

"A red IPA with a white froth, reminiscent of the Canadian Ski Patrol colors."

Love this!

cheers

from this winter:

I didn't realize we had a local 9.8% ale on tap and filled a 64oz growler and my wife and I polished it off in about an hour and a half and was wondering why we were having such a difficult time...