Voile SB vs. Voile X2

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
thollender

Voile SB vs. Voile X2

Post by thollender » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:34 pm

Voile SB vs. Voile X2. I'm buying new bindings since my old G3 Targas can't get parts anymore and I'm upgrading. I'm confused with the X2 being more active than the SBs and the change of the pivot point. Can someone explain those two topics better? I ski meadows, old logging roads and backcountry up and down the hills and through the trees. I ski resorts 3/4 times a season, but am usually off the beaten path breaking my own trail. I do a lot of kick and glide and and some hills. Not much in steep terrain. I'm in T3's with Fischer S-Bounds 98-69-88 waxable. I know I'll get more tow flex with either binding than my rigid Targa's that don't pivot at all.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: Voile SB vs. Voile X2

Post by Woodserson » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:04 pm

Long story, short: The SB will be more similar to the feeling of your Targas than the X2 and a nice compliment to the rest of your kit.

It's important to differentiate between the Free-Pivot option of a touring binding where the entire binding hinges forward of the duckbill for easier climbing, and the pivot point of the the cables/hardwires/cartridges which delivers a certain amount of leverage to a boot while turning. These are two different things. The X2 and SB use the same free-pivot mechanism and there is no real difference between the two bindings IN TOUR MODE while using free-pivot to climb hills. Theres a good demo of the free-pivot in the beginning of the video on this page: https://www.voile.com/voile-switchback- ... nding.html

The difference between the two bindings is the location of the pivot point of the hardwires and where they attach to the bindings, which affects downhill skiing and turning.

The X2 has a hardwire pivot point that is further aft of the toe than the SB. Think of this as a lever from the heel to the duckbill. The further back the pivot, the stronger the lever. This allows the skier to "cheat" a bit, or at least get a feeling of power as raising the heel will apply more power forward and keep the toe and ball-of-foot down on the ski, which provides pressure on the trailing ski.

There is a noticeable difference in feeling. It is sometimes described as "more power" or "more active." It can also take some getting used to if one has spent years on "less active" or "more neutral" bindings. It can also be very nice and addictive.

With more neutral bindings, like the G3 Targa or the SB, you'll be able to do some K&G without using the free-pivot option if you want. When it gets steeper, you can click over and go to full-neutral, which is the free-pivot. The X2, due to the more active placement of the hardwire, will resist K&G more than the SB, until you switch to free-pivot mode and then it'll be identical to the SB.
Last edited by Woodserson on Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:07 pm

I don’t know if I’m helping or not, but I could easily overpower an S-112 with a 3-pin Hardwire. I don’t know where you are skiing, maybe a free pivot binding is better for long climbs?
Another aspect is the boot. A 3P-HW is plenty for me to compress the bellows on a T-4 boot, and more than I need on a leather boot.
So I think you need to ask yourself two questions, how much spring do I need to compress the bellows of my boot to keep the ball of my foot on the ski? The 2nd question, do I need a free pivot to climb, or would I be better off with three pin to access downhills, with the option to clip on the bail to go downhill

riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Post by riel » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:08 pm

fisheater wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:07 pm
I don’t know if I’m helping or not, but I could easily overpower an S-112 with a 3-pin Hardwire. I don’t know where you are skiing, maybe a free pivot binding is better for long climbs?
I have great luck with SB X2 on my S-112 skis, and Scott Excursion boots. The X2 is probably overkill, but that's what I found on eBay when I looked at the time ;)

The free pivot is a nice help with kick and glide with plastic boots. I could see using plastic boots with an S-98 wide ski in places with hard packed snow as well, just because that kind of ski can take a little bit of power to put on edge when the snow isn't all nice and soft.

Either the SB or X2 should be fine for turning that kind of ski. I suspect both provide more power than you need.

The lower weight of the SB might be nice, but then again you might not notice much of that either. The two are similar enough that price could be your deciding factor. What's on eBay right now? ;)

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:22 pm

@riel i guess there are different ways to skin a cat. In my terrain I don’t need a free pivot binding. Really if conditions warranted a plastic boot for my S-bound, I would probably reach for a different ski.
However at one time, I only had a S-112 and a T-4!

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:58 am

I prefer the regular SB for the skiing you describe. I would put the X2 on a ski that I mostly skin with and use at the resort.

The free pivot is more efficient for K&G if you don't mind the feel.

stilltryin
Ski style: Wandering the untracked (by humans)
Favorite Skis: Voile V6 BC; Karhu XCD/GT
Favorite boots: Scarpa T3; Alpina Alaska NNN-BC

Post by stilltryin » Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:07 pm

FWIW, I prefer the 3-pin cable for the terrain and gear you describe.
But if you go up steep with skins, free-pivot is very nice.

thollender

Post by thollender » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:42 pm

I’m new to this forum and all the excellent feedback regarding my questions regarding Voile’s SB vs. X2 has been helpful.

Woodserson thanks so much for the detailed explanation of the difference in both bindings and lowangle al you gave me a simple concise answer that I really appreciate. Both your explanations/comments helped me realize I should be in the SBs with the kind of skiing I’m doing. I’m 67 years old and won’t be doing anything more aggressive than I’ve already done in my life so I’m out doing K & G and climbing the hills and coming back down with the occasional trip to our local resorts in Arizona where I ski greens and blues at Sunrise and Snowbowl.

I gave up 3P and 3P w/cables years ago as they damaged boots and are difficult to get on in certain conditions. I had the toe bail crack/break on 2 pairs of Voiles right where you attach the ski leashes. That’s when I switched to the G3 Targas.

You other folks who commented like reil, stilltryin, and fisheater also helped me with my decision with your thoughts, comments and ideas. Thank you.

This is a great forum! Glad I found it.