Asnes Ingstad users question

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Åsnes1922
Ski style: Former downhill & biathlon skier, avid telemarker.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Ingstad, Åsnes Falketind 62, Åsnes Breidablikk, Åsnes Voss Z'N and Åsnes Fjøro 92
Favorite boots: Asolo Extreme Plus, Alpina Alaska BC and 75mm, Alfa Polar and Dynafit Vulcan.
Professional ski -and mountain guide

Åsnes - All things marketing and development potato.

Re: Asnes Ingstad users question

Post by Åsnes1922 » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:51 am

Hi @KnoxPolk

Yes, this seems to be a B-grade. Probably from a few years back, and probably from one of the first seasons we made the new Ingstad design - based on the information and serial number.

Usually, two skis with a "right ski design" is called a C-grade, or a 3rd pick. Because the skis are not looking the way they should and the design is not right. But it seems like this one has slipped through as a B-grade.

A B-grade ski usually has one or a few small cosmetic faults, but nothing that would impact functionality. Meaning the design can be a bit skewed, there could be a small color difference or anything else that is barely noticeable and that does not have an impact on the structure or function of the ski. These skis are typically the skis that don't pass our quality control for retail sales. But since they are still very much functional, we categorize them as a "B-grade".

Each year we give away some of those skis to charity, organizations, and ski schools. We also sell some of them to some selected shops at a discount, so that they again can sell them at a discount to their customers.

In this case, we're not sure how this ski ended up where it did and why. But typically when the design does not somehow align, it won't pass as a "B-grade" and will typically not hit the market but instead be recycled, used for other production purposes, or otherwise somehow repurposed. But not sold.

The practice on this has changed a bit in the last few years, and the quality control is a bit tougher than before. But I suspect this ski has been given away to a charity, or someone else to use, but in some way has ended up being sold as second-hand. But it's hard to say.

Considering that someone has made their own scales on the skis, it might come from someone with access to skis like mentioned above, but it's hard to tell.

I also see that the plastic wrapping is not the type we use, but a different third-party shrinking plastic. I would not be too sure that these skis a new, without having a closer look...

Either way, this ski should be fully functional and should not have any structural damages. So if the human-made scales work for you, you have gotten yourself a nice ski for low price ;) Test it, and see if it works for you. If it does, I hope you use them for a long time.
With mountainous regards from,

Åsnes
Marketing | Åsnes | Pomoca | Colltex

ASNES.COM I FACEBOOK LIKE! INSTAGRAM @asnes1922

Active Brands AS
Regimentsvegen 158 | 5705 Voss | Norway

Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Re: Asnes Ingstad users question

Post by Musk Ox » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:38 am

KnoxPolk wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:29 am
Also, one guy from ski services told me to do not use kick wax or klayster at backcountry or together with skins. He told me that kick wax or klayster would attach a lot of dirt, tree needles etc., and it can also damage the glue side of the skins. Do you have any experience of using both kick wax and skins? I am wondering also if I should use glide wax or grip wax to the ski, I already order a wax iron :D
I daresay the consensus here is pretty much go for it, hard kick wax (Swix Blue and anything harder) and skins are completely fine together. I do it routinely, and I think most others here probably do too.

You are, however, opening a mighty can of worms mentioning waxing irons and glide wax and grip wax in the same sentence, ha ha!

This is an excellent thread: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2172
This is another excellent thread: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2172

But everyone has a different regime and take. All my skis end up with something different on within a couple of weeks. I use hard glide wax at the beginning of the season when I scrape it off. Sometimes I'll use the spray glide wax now lurking in the draw on one pair. Sometimes use Swix Polar grip wax as a glide wax/ base protector on another pair. Usually I'll clean my bases when the conditions change or they get mucky and then use no glide wax at all until I can be bothered. I'm always mucking about and playing around.

The main thing I've learned is that it's all much, much simpler than you read about on the internet. I mean, like, even (or especially!) here.