When do skis go on sale?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
RabbitEars
Ski style: Tipsy Moose
Favorite Skis: Asnes Kongsvold (SB 98s demoted)
Favorite boots: Maybe the Alaska

Re: When do skis go on sale?

Post by RabbitEars » Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:51 pm

The new s-bound 98s look like they are not going to be as durable. Brand new on the rack and the tips are already chipped. My 2 season old s-bounds are in better condition.
AE43C774-AF0E-4491-B160-D7DE595390C0.jpeg
Brand new on the rack already chipped.
4CAA756D-E9CA-4B25-9027-605B31E1EF69.jpeg
My two season old well used skis were better built.

UtahBrian
Ski style: Backpacking, but on skis. Deep powder wilderness.
Favorite Skis: Fischer S-Bound 98

Post by UtahBrian » Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:02 pm

Oh. On the rack where?

kumachan

Post by kumachan » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:39 pm

fgd135 wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:54 am
REI now has their 21-22 skis up on their website. Sadly, no Äsnes. Good luck.
That's interesting. The Asnes website lists REI as the only other U.S. retailer of their skis.
https://www.en.asnes.com/stores-and-distributors/

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:26 pm

I figured the fischer crown skis were going to be not as well made as previous generation...

I was initially going to replace my S112s with the S98s...

My S112 from 5 yrs ago are still working despite coreshots, worn fishscales and multiple dents/chips. My S125 is in great condition. These will be hard to replace...S125 may be one of a kind...I am saving them for big mtn expeditions. I may replace the Fischer S112 with the new Asnes Sverdrup pending real world reviews. I'm finding as I get better, I am not needing so much width for the terrain I am skiing and a lighter ski would be great for long approaches. Also, I need skis that can grip better on hard/icy surfaces...S112 (and most likely S98) has no grip at all.

I'm also looking into traditional downhill skimo/racing skis like the Plum Le Roc D'Enfer, 160cm 97-68.5-83 ...for fast and steep ascents in mixed spring conditions.

btw, skis are on sale now! vendors are stocking the new models already.

Tom M
Ski style: Skate on Groomed, XCD Off, Backcountry Tele
Favorite Skis: Fischer S-Bound 98 Off Trail, Voile V6 BC for Tele
Favorite boots: Currently skiing Alfa Vista, Alfa Free, Scarpa T2
Website: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCam0VG ... shelf_id=1

Post by Tom M » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:06 am

REI now has the new Fischer metal edged adventure skis in stock. It looks like the specs are incorrect, as REI is listing the weight for the 98's at 9 lb 11.2 oz per pair. Both Fischer and REI need to get their act together. It is interesting that REI lists last years 98's as double camber and this years as single camber. If so, then there has been a significant change in this popular ski. I still haven't found any listings for the new Xplore bindings / boots. Am I the only one dreaming of winter?
comp.jpg

joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Post by joeatomictoad » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:55 pm

fgd135 wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:30 am
If you're in the Denver area, I'd watch for sales at the smaller outdoor shops that might have inventory from last season; also check frequently with resellers like "Play it again Sports" who seem to always have some used gear, esp. in Boulder;
I second that notion. Last year while burning 3/4 of a day waiting for evening flight out of Denver metro, I ended up exactly there... sports consignment in Boulder, same store. More than half the gear was in really viable shape.

kumachan

Post by kumachan » Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:21 am

I was listening to the recent Totally Deep podcast (episode 92) earlier today. The first ten minutes or so are about delays in skis and skins being delivered this Fall. These guys are saying if you're told gear will be in a shop in November, it might be more like January. Grain of salt: These guys run 4 or 5 ski-mo, AT specific shops out west and might place larger orders than local shops.
https://cripplecreekbc.com/pages/totally-deep-podcast

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:30 pm

kumachan wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 11:21 am
These guys are saying if you're told gear will be in a shop in November, it might be more like January. Grain of salt: These guys run 4 or 5 ski-mo, AT specific shops out west and might place larger orders than local shops.
I actually heard the same from the side of various ski/boots/bindings companies... The demand is unbelievable, they could sell a hell of a lot more gear than they do, but they can't keep up because the suppliers just cannot fill the demand...
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."