XC BC ski suggestions for intermediate skiier?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
johnnycanuck
Ski style: BC XC

XC BC ski suggestions for intermediate skiier?

Post by johnnycanuck » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:51 pm

Hey folks, I just learned about this forum - I've been poking through old posts trying to dig up some gear recommendations but I feel a bit lost and that I might be looking at something that is catered to skiers much better than I am.

Some backstory, I picked up XC skiing two years ago. I went to my local shop and got outfitted with gear for track skiing (Fischer Fibre Crown, 51-46-49). This past winter I got a bit more ambitious and ended up spending most of my winter skiing around our area which is mostly composed of hundreds of acres of farm fields and some rolling hills (eastern Ontario, Canada). My gear was really tough in these conditions, especially the deeper snow we had (~12"). Still, I had loads of fun.

I'm looking to upgrade my kit for this season and really deep dive into XC skiing. To add some context, I'd prefer to go faster on the flats, but do want control in the turns. The provincial parks I've been to have some hills (by no means mountainous) which I'd love to ski down confidently. In Quebec, it might be a different beast but 90% of my skiing will be in Ontario. I don't go for long treks (yet), usually under 5km. But if I had more efficient gear I would likely be down to trek further. With that being said, I am coming from track skis which had neither in the conditions I skied in, and it was fun. So any upgrade would be huge.

I've been recommended to look at getting some Asnes skiis, specifically the Nansen or Gamme 54 models. Would one of these be better suited for the conditions I'm looking to ski in? Are there others I should look at?

I'd like to avoid suiting up with a beginner/intermediate ski and pickup something I can grow in to. I did this with downhill and regretfully ended up buying newer gear a year after starting downhill skiing as the beginner stuff was just not fun.
Last edited by johnnycanuck on Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Re: XC BC ski suggestions for intermediate skiier?

Post by Musk Ox » Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:34 pm

Hi @johnnycanuck!

Åsnes-wise, both of those sound like what you're after.

The Nansens are really ridiculously easy to get about on, and can get you to some surprisingly hair-raising places. And down again. They're really good fun.

The Gamme 54s are better on the flats, and better in deeper snow, but not so easy to bend to your will on the slopes – you need a wee bit more skill to get them to turn, but I got them doing my bidding eventually (poor base level of skill notwithstanding). They're really good fun.

There's a new Åsnes model called the Otto coming out, which, if Åsnes are to be believed, will hit the sweet spot entre le deux. They will be really good fun.

Skiing is really good fun. Where the snow at.

johnnycanuck
Ski style: BC XC

Post by johnnycanuck » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:46 pm

Thanks for the tip - I'll check them out!

エイダン.シダル

Post by エイダン.シダル » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:08 pm

Musk Ox wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:34 pm
Hi @johnnycanuck!

Åsnes-wise, both of those sound like what you're after.

The Nansens are really ridiculously easy to get about on, and can get you to some surprisingly hair-raising places. And down again. They're really good fun.

The Gamme 54s are better on the flats, and better in deeper snow, but not so easy to bend to your will on the slopes – you need a wee bit more skill to get them to turn, but I got them doing my bidding eventually (poor base level of skill notwithstanding). They're really good fun.

There's a new Åsnes model called the Otto coming out, which, if Åsnes are to be believed, will hit the sweet spot entre le deux. They will be really good fun.

Skiing is really good fun. Where the snow at.
Ok, I'm really going to have to jump on the Otto Sverdrup, because this dude's in Ontario, too. Everyone's talking up the ski!

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:29 am

E99's....Rotta super Telemark.....leather boots.....when you grow with them.......BC will be all that it can be....TM

ASI828277

Post by ASI828277 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:03 am

johnnycanuck wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:51 pm
Hey folks, I just learned about this forum - I've been poking through old posts trying to dig up some gear recommendations but I feel a bit lost and that I might be looking at something that is catered to skiers much better than I am.

Some backstory, I picked up XC skiing two years ago. I went to my local shop and got outfitted with gear for track skiing (Fischer Fibre Crown, 51-46-49). This past winter I got a bit more ambitious and ended up spending most of my winter skiing around our area which is mostly composed of hundreds of acres of farm fields and some rolling hills (eastern Ontario, Canada). My gear was really tough in these conditions, especially the deeper snow we had (~12"). Still, I had loads of fun.

I'm looking to upgrade my kit for this season and really deep dive into XC skiing. To add some context, I'd prefer to go faster on the flats, but do want control in the turns. The provincial parks I've been to have some hills (by no means mountainous) which I'd love to ski down confidently. In Quebec, it might be a different beast but 90% of my skiing will be in Ontario. I don't go for long treks (yet), usually under 5km. But if I had more efficient gear I would likely be down to trek further. With that being said, I am coming from track skis which had neither in the conditions I skied in, and it was fun. So any upgrade would be huge.

I've been recommended to look at getting some Asnes skiis, specifically the Nansen or Gamme 54 models. Would one of these be better suited for the conditions I'm looking to ski in? Are there others I should look at?

I'd like to avoid suiting up with a beginner/intermediate ski and pickup something I can grow in to. I did this with downhill and regretfully ended up buying newer gear a year after starting downhill skiing as the beginner stuff was just not fun.