In need of suggestions for Boots/Binding Combo

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
LTDinPNW

In need of suggestions for Boots/Binding Combo

Post by LTDinPNW » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:52 am

Hello,

Getting back into the sport again, after an 8+ year hiatus. The problem(s), while (some of) my gear might not be outdated, it would seem that many of the older manufacturers are no longer. Having previously resided in PDX (PDX to Mt Hood was an easy 2hr drive often), it became more of a challenge to get out enough (with 2 little ones no less). Having relocated 10min from several XC/BC areas, and 15min drive to Mt. Bachelor now — things are much different to say the least.

Current setups, that I'm looking to make the best out of.

My big mountain setup is totally fine. Voile Charger with a 22D Axl, boot is a T1 (this still totally works well for me). I'm not feeling any desire to change this at this time, as I've been on snowboard for the past 5 years — and will likely not totally leave this method of snow sliding (at least in powder).

What I'm looking to use more this season are the following 2 setups.

Lite Duty Tele Setup = Karhu XCD Guides w/Voile X2 binding; I need a boot that would work well with this. I had a pair of T4s, but they've never fit well unfortunately. Truly, I wish I still had my ol' Garmont Gara's for this setup.

XC BC Touring setup: Rossignol BC 70 w/NNN BC binding. I think it will be much easier to find a pair of boots that will pair well with this setup.

Suggestions are welcomed.

joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Re: In need of suggestions for Boots/Binding Combo

Post by joeatomictoad » Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:29 pm

LTDinPNW wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:52 am
Lite Duty Tele Setup = Karhu XCD Guides w/Voile X2 binding; I need a boot that would work well with this. I had a pair of T4s, but they've never fit well unfortunately. Truly, I wish I still had my ol' Garmont Gara's for this setup.
T4 no good?
Maybe Scott Excursion?
Maybe stiff leather?

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:47 pm

T4s have a heat moldable now.

joeatomictoad

Post by joeatomictoad » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:10 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:47 pm
T4s have a heat moldable now.
Good call, Al. I was going to mention heat molding Intuition foam, but seemed like he threw in the towel.

Baking the inner boot makes an extremely noticeable difference for comfort... if a good shell fit is confirmed beforehand. Also, with the more pliable plastic of T4, I would assume that the heat treatment must do at least a little yielding to the shell.

LTDinPNW

Post by LTDinPNW » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:15 pm

Thanks for the couple of tips - Peepz'! Amongst my searching for info, I did come across in many places that a) Garmont is now Scott, and b) that the Excursion actually had a note-able increase in internal volume/instep specifically.

I also just came across Rottelfelas' newest release available this year apparently; the Xplore.

Many options to choose from at this point.

Again thanks for the feedback thus far.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:04 pm

While I've skied T1's &/or T2's for 20 years or so, when I tried on some 2 buckles a few years ago I found I just wasn't comfy with the T4's. Went with the "Scott" Excursion, accepting it's high volume for my low volume foot... which is what held me back from buying a pair of Gara's back then.
Warmth and comfort are good, and I just don't need a more "performance" fit for this set up. They would be more than adequate for the Guide's; you don't need the Gara's for those. Bindings? Sure, pretty much whatever; X2's oughtta be fine. You certainly shouldn't need anything heavier.
I did ski the Excursions for a day or two on my K2 Wayback 88' (or 86's? right around there); they worked just fine for me up at Jay Peak. And that's more ski than the Guides.

The lite set-up... I'll leave for others to expound upon.

LTDinPNW

Post by LTDinPNW » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:31 pm

@phoenix , "Jay Peak"… That's where I learned to Tele! About 20 years ago actually! Back in those days I rode a set of Rossi Big Bangs, w/G3 bindings + Gara boots. I learned on that setup for years — before moving out West, and realizing just how small those 190 Big Bangs were for riding out West.

Thanks for the momentary trip down memory lane!

joeatomictoad

Post by joeatomictoad » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:28 pm

Jay Peak has had an indoor waterpark for a little while now. About 4-years ago after a day of skiing, I walked into the waterpark area to see what it was all about. Dressed for mid-winter skiing at Jay, then suddenly entering an indoor waterpark is a thermal shock to the biological thermostat. I didn't do waterpark stuff that day, but it looked like fun.

https://jaypeakresort.com/waterpark/