skis for 70+ and cautious

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Re: skis for 70+ and cautious

Post by Montana St Alum » Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:35 pm

stilltryin wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:22 pm
Thanks all for the suggestions.
Montana St Alum wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:14 pm
I'm not quite 70+ (at age 69) but if I were to get some equipment in this category, for the Wasatch Back/Uintas, I'd go wider/shorter for sure.
Whereabouts is this person located?
Tetons, but just in the hills. Even in the untracked flats, going wider than his XCD/GTs should be helpful for float and stable platform I think.
Oh yeah! You're deeper than us! Are you over on the west side?
Looking at the Grand Targhee webcam and seeing snow. Same with Big and Little CC. It's comin'.

spd

Post by spd » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:15 pm

I'm 65 and the skis I purchase will be for at least 5+ years. I'm looking for safer travel descending steep Eastern hiking trails. Current skis are Salomon X-ADV 69 and Atomic TM22 (use 75mm 3-pin w/ plastic boot) in a 180 cm. There's just not enough trail width to turn these skis as often as I want to feel safe. Is it time to switch to snowshoes, OR what about Hagan Off Limits or Voile Ultra Vector BC in a short ski (154 or 162)? Would they give me much more control? Would consider above skis with either 3-pin or Lynx 2-pin.

stilltryin
Ski style: Wandering the untracked (by humans)
Favorite Skis: Voile V6 BC; Karhu XCD/GT
Favorite boots: Scarpa T3; Alpina Alaska NNN-BC

Post by stilltryin » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:22 pm

I am the OP here, and FWIW, the person I was talking about ended up with Fischer 112, and he got the skins (to also use to slow down). He's waiting for more snow to try them out.
Don't go to snowshoes. :)
I don't know what is best for you, but let me suggest being aware of the Altai Hok (short w/permanent half skins) -- a bit like a sliding snowshoe.
https://us-store.altaiskis.com/product/ ... lank-skis/

Ski: I'm not familiar with the skis you mention, so can't really suggest a "regular" ski that is better than those for what you want. Going shorter certainly seems like a good idea.
You'll hear from others.
Welcome.

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:54 am

Uh, would work on balance and keep on trying with the lighter thinner stuff....TM

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:45 am

greatgt wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:54 am
Uh, would work on balance and keep on trying with the lighter thinner stuff....TM
And wear a helmet??? Just kidding a bit GT. I’m good without a helmet until about 65, right?
Hope you got some of that snow.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:48 am

stilltryin wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:22 pm

Don't go to snowshoes. :)
I don't know what is best for you, but let me suggest being aware of the Altai Hok (short w/permanent half skins) -- a bit like a sliding snowshoe.
https://us-store.altaiskis.com/product/ ... lank-skis/

There is deep, sage advice here. Every snowshoe person I've managed to convince to go to the HOK has never gone back. If the person doesn't need the snowshoe crampons, go for HOKS. Easier, more fun, sliding down hills, and many people with aged knees find the HOKS to be easier on the knees as there is less lifting to clear them out of snow, etc. I was not expecting the last one to be honest.

stilltryin
Ski style: Wandering the untracked (by humans)
Favorite Skis: Voile V6 BC; Karhu XCD/GT
Favorite boots: Scarpa T3; Alpina Alaska NNN-BC

Post by stilltryin » Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:39 am

Looks like OAC is making a "Hok." (Maybe that's old news -- new to me.)
https://varuste.net/en/p114269/oac-kar- ... ut-bindigs
More models:
https://www.skinbased.com/skis
Interesting, dozens of Canada locations; USA only Black Diamond in SLC (hmm, I know BD used to (still?) have a more expensive "Hok" ).
https://www.skinbased.com/where-to-buy

Edit again:
Looks like BD still sells "Glidelite" -- seems to be similar in spec to OAC KAR147 and WAP127 -- maybe just branded BD? Ah, I see, made in Finland.
https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/e ... -trekking/

Edit yet again:
This one looks especially interesting; XCD GT 137; classified as XCD; less snowshoey than the Hok-like; a bit narrower than the Altai Kom; retaining the permanent partial skin; 116-86-100. Convenient IF you know you want the skins on all the time.
https://www.skinbased.com/product-page/oac-xcd-gt-160

I see lots of posts here when searched "OAC" -- so not news! But maybe useful anyway in the context of this thread or for newer members who may not be aware.

spd

Post by spd » Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:54 pm

Thanks everyone for the help!!

bornaginalpiner
Ski style: Fall alot
Favorite Skis: Soft flex.
Favorite boots: The ones that fit.

Post by bornaginalpiner » Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:18 am

I really believe it's different for every person. It's like ski boots. All I read about when I started skiing in bounds were the T1s. Got a pair and they were brutal. Went back to my T2x and sold the T1s. Costly mistake, but I learned the value of shopping and having a chance to walk around the house in them. So I learned that the right "fit" is different for everyone (not talking about size though that's right there.).

I hope this person has a great experience out there. Just moving around is great at this age. My ski objectives have changed. Instead of trying to tame the beast I couldn't handle anyway, I look for the equipment that's most comfortable and confidence building.