Getting stoked

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: Getting stoked

Post by fisheater » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:03 am

lowangle al wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:05 am
joeatomictoad wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:47 am
Evolution of our sport is great... but our heritage is awesome, too, for stokes sake.
I don't know why but those old school videos with a lot of jump turns get me stoked more than a modern Powder Whore video.
Well I could write a thousand words, but the skiing in that movie sums it up. That’s how it’s done boys!

joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Post by joeatomictoad » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:11 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:05 am
I don't know why but those old school videos with a lot of jump turns get me stoked more than a modern Powder Whore video.
To say they're "light on their feet" is the best compliment that comes to mind. These skiers are coming down like gangbusters.

I don't have the 3-pin pedigree, and seeing this makes me feel like I'm missing out. Don't see this technique used much with burly equipment... maybe too heavy, maybe too much rocker on the new sticks, or maybe just unnecessary due to stiffer gear?

Also...if a good turn is hard to find, one would never know based on this video alone.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:35 am

I think the biggest reason you don't see that style of skiing is that skis turn much easier now. First off if you are on double camber skis jump turns are the most reliable. Second, even single camber skis turn better now because of more sidecut and even easier with rocker. Third is the weight, jump turns are hard even with light gear. Another factor is style and technique. As we moved away from that classic elongated tele stance and tightened it up skis turned easier. (reason being that it is easier to get centered and equally weight your skis in a tight stance.)

The bottom line is that modern skis turn a lot easier with a lot less input from the skier and that input would be heavy weighting and unweighting.

I really liked jump turns but did less of them as my gear got heavier. As soon as I scaled down to T4s with lightweight BC skis the jump turns came back.

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:04 pm

The first few cm fell in my local playground this weekend. For now it is still trail running conditions, skiing is possible at the expense of roughing up the skis.
These pictures are 30 min on foot up from our house. There are reasonable ski trails here, for nice turning I have to go a bit further onto the mountain.
Picture taken on Sunday at sunrise 9 am.
20211121_085752.jpg
20211121_090322.jpg

joeatomictoad

Post by joeatomictoad » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:48 pm

Season pass.......................... just arrived in the mail!
Couple trips to the Rockies... planned out
Airfare................................... booked
Lodging................................. reserved
Rental cars............................. accounted for (Trying out Turo for the first time)

Was seriously considering to do the digital nomad thing, this season, but corporate America got wise from 2020-21 season. Regardless, nothing short of an epidemic will keep me from enjoying the upcoming season!

#stoked
stoked.jpg

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:56 pm

joeatomictoad wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:48 pm
Season pass.......................... just arrived in the mail!
Couple trips to the Rockies... planned out
Airfare................................... booked
Lodging................................. reserved
Rental cars............................. accounted for (Trying out Turo for the first time)

Was seriously considering to do the digital nomad thing, this season, but corporate America got wise from 2020-21 season. Regardless, nothing short of an epidemic will keep me from enjoying the upcoming season!

#stoked
stoked.jpg
Season pass to WHERE?
&
are you going back to Cooper?

joeatomictoad

Post by joeatomictoad » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:06 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:56 pm
Season pass to WHERE?
&
Yup! Ski Cooper, again... only this time with a pass. I like the low density of people there. Can travel around a bit if we get antsy. They're on the Freedom Pass program, and have reciprocity with several other mountains. In that area Loveland & Monarch are not too far, so I will probably try them out for a day each, too.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:10 am

joeatomictoad wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:06 pm
Woodserson wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:56 pm
Season pass to WHERE?
&
Yup! Ski Cooper, again... only this time with a pass. I like the low density of people there. Can travel around a bit if we get antsy. They're on the Freedom Pass program, and have reciprocity with several other mountains. In that area Loveland & Monarch are not too far, so I will probably try them out for a day each, too.
I have a Whaleback pass which is part of the Freedom program. It includes Sunlight in Glenwood Springs, CO, about 90 minutes from Cooper. I have a lot of time off in March. Hmmmmmmmmmm

joeatomictoad

Post by joeatomictoad » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:44 am

Woodserson wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:10 am
I have a Whaleback pass which is part of the Freedom program. It includes Sunlight in Glenwood Springs, CO, about 90 minutes from Cooper. I have a lot of time off in March. Hmmmmmmmmmm
Leadville does skijoring competition the 1'st weekend in March. Looks like a blast, even as a spectator. I planned one of my trips around it.

I've never been to Whaleback. Did this mountain have some dicey times in the 1990's - 2000's, or change owners?... maybe I'm thinking of another place. Sunapee had a lot of my attention, a great college pass, decent vertical, less Boston folk than Wachusett, and was close enough for me to take a day trip from Cape Cod.... and home of Aerosmith.

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:40 am

Weather Alerts-Deer Valley Resort, UT

Winter Storm Warning from TUE 5:00 PM MST until WED 11:00 AM MST
Action Recommended
Make preparations per the instructions
Issued By
Salt Lake City - UT, US, National Weather Service
Affected Area
Southern Mountains, Central Mountains, Wasatch Mountains South of I-80, Wasatch Mountains I-80 North, Wasatch Plateau/Book Cliffs and Western Uinta Mountains
Description
...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 5 PM THIS AFTERNOON TO 11 AM MST WEDNESDAY...

WHAT...Heavy snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 12 to 24 inches.

YES, PLEASE!
Too bad we need 24-36!