Does Fischer Transnordic 66 + 82 make sense?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Re: Does Fischer Transnordic 66 + 82 make sense?

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:46 pm

athabascae wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:29 pm
johnnycanuck wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:36 am
what do you recommend for the Laurentians in that case? Waxless or waxable
I'd suggest waxable plus easy skin (whatever that is in Fischer lingo) as providing the most flexibility in an xcd/bc ski for your area. You can adjust accordingly to the snow conditions and terrain. YMMV.
I have been skiing for decades close to the Laurentians, actually the same mountain range but not the Laurentide region…, anyway back to ski discussion, I have been skiing an old waxable E99 for decades in all conditions but I have added a couple of Asnes ski to my quiver and really like the skin option. All this just to say that I fully share Athabascae opinion.

johnnycanuck
Ski style: BC XC

Post by johnnycanuck » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:33 am

Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:46 pm
I have been skiing for decades close to the Laurentians, actually the same mountain range but not the Laurentide region…, anyway back to ski discussion, I have been skiing an old waxable E99 for decades in all conditions but I have added a couple of Asnes ski to my quiver and really like the skin option. All this just to say that I fully share Athabascae opinion.
I'm curious what Asnes models you own and what ones you prefer?

Nitram Tocrut

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:51 pm

johnnycanuck wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:33 am

I own too many 8-)

Seriously I have the Ingstad, the FT62 and the Raab. I checked your initial question and the Ingstad is my preferred ski according to what you are looking for. There has been comparaison with the 109 (now 82) and you could get lots of info particularly from LilCliffy post on the 109 vs Ingstad. I own a farm and I always have to break my trails. Sometimes multiple times in the same day when the wind is blowing in open fields. I seldom have to use them in snowmobile track and they are not great but could be worse… But whenever the conditions gets crusty/icy I prefer to use the Europa as they are a much better ski for those conditions. The Ingstad give you pretty good control downhill as you are looking for. One downside I experienced with the rocker was on multiple days hut to hut is that it less surface of the skis is in contact with the snow and it made some uphill pretty tricky but I survived :shock: You sure can’t go wrong with the Ingstad and you would end up with just about the same quiver. As for the FT62, I love them and I use them mostly for tour for turns on the small hills around the farm. I don’t think this is what you are looking for.

johnnycanuck

Post by johnnycanuck » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:55 pm

Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:51 pm
johnnycanuck wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:33 am

I own too many 8-)

Seriously I have the Ingstad, the FT62 and the Raab. I checked your initial question and the Ingstad is my preferred ski according to what you are looking for. There has been comparaison with the 109 (now 82) and you could get lots of info particularly from LilCliffy post on the 109 vs Ingstad. I own a farm and I always have to break my trails. Sometimes multiple times in the same day when the wind is blowing in open fields. I seldom have to use them in snowmobile track and they are not great but could be worse… But whenever the conditions gets crusty/icy I prefer to use the Europa as they are a much better ski for those conditions. The Ingstad give you pretty good control downhill as you are looking for. One downside I experienced with the rocker was on multiple days hut to hut is that it less surface of the skis is in contact with the snow and it made some uphill pretty tricky but I survived :shock: You sure can’t go wrong with the Ingstad and you would end up with just about the same quiver. As for the FT62, I love them and I use them mostly for tour for turns on the small hills around the farm. I don’t think this is what you are looking for.
Good to know, thanks!
Curious if you've ever tried the Gamme in place of the E99? That is one other option I'm considering right now for a skinnier ski, though inventory woes are likely to force my hand.

Nitram Tocrut

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:22 pm

johnnycanuck wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:55 pm
Good to know, thanks!
Curious if you've ever tried the Gamme in place of the E99? That is one other option I'm considering right now for a skinnier ski, though inventory woes are likely to force my hand.
I have not tried the Gamme but you can found TONS of information on the Gamme on the Forum. Never read anything bad about this skis though.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:29 am

johnnycanuck wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:36 am
lilcliffy wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:57 am
Ok- so you actually would prefer a waxless-scaled ski? Don't take the TN66 Crown to the Laurentians.
There is no Crown-version of the TN82.
Do you want a waxless-scaled ski for the Laurentians as well?
I missed this post last week - what do you recommend for the Laurentians in that case? Waxless or waxable
Sorry I didn't get back to you on this.

I am not an expert on "the Laurentians"- for all kinds of reasons- including how massive a mountain range they are!

In the past I have done much Nordic touring in the Laurentians- particularly from Quebec-east.

Although I am sure that there are many trail-based tours that would be ideal for a ski like the E99/TN66 Crown- there is a lot of very steep terrain- and wonderous glades to ski through.

IMO- the E99/TN66 is most effectively used as distance-oriented touring ski on gentle to moderate terrain- and fitted at a long, traditional XC length.
There is significant camber and stiffness underfoot.
At a XC length- personally, I have significant grip issues with my E99 Crown in hilly/steep terrain- I don't use it much.
One solution here is to choose a short E99/TN66 Crown- but if one considers this- then I think one should be considering other skis as well (e.g. Fischer 78/Asnes Nansen WL/Madshus EonM62).
If one is considering a short E99/TN66 Crown- I think that there are better options available.

So when I say "don't take the TN66 Crown to the Laurentians"- I am assuming you would be on a TN66 in a traditional XC length.

If you take a TN66 Crown- at a XC length- to the hills/mountains, you are going to need skins and are going to constantly be putting them on and taking them off.

The waxable base has very significant advantages in this context in that you can customize your grip/glide with kick wax du-jour, as well as extend kick wax onto the shovel for climbing.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:30 am

johnnycanuck wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:53 pm
lilcliffy wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:34 am
And I think I read or watched similar comments from the folks at Aventure Nordique.
Curious and a bit off topic, but does Aventure Nordique ship to Canada? I tried shopping there but their website says it won't ship a set of skis to Ontario.
Good question!
I know that they ship boots to Canada.
Don't know if they ship skis.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

John Dee

Post by John Dee » Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:55 pm

If you come to Vermont, you can buy my Transnordic 59 skin or 66 crown in 195cm.

johnnycanuck

Post by johnnycanuck » Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:41 am

Quick update: I put an order in with SportAlbert last week for a pair of Asnes Gamme 54. They had informed me that the projected receiving date was Jan. 24 2022 (previously late Oct.), and so I asked if I could place the order as a backup. My idea being to cancel it before it ships if I could find a pair sooner, but at the worst case I wouldn't be empty handed for this season.

I paid for the order on Friday and later that day they sent me an email indicating that they had received them and they are shipping them Monday... :o lol so much for my plan. But the hunt was also wasting a lot of time so although I will pay a premium for them, I will at least be a happy camper once they arrive.

Still holding out for a wider ski, though I am eyeing a set of the Traverse 78. Turns out a local shop carries them here and I still have some gift card balance with them, however they are still waiting for inventory to arrive.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:15 am

johnnycanuck wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:41 am
Quick update: I put an order in with SportAlbert last week for a pair of Asnes Gamme 54. They had informed me that the projected receiving date was Jan. 24 2022 (previously late Oct.), and so I asked if I could place the order as a backup. My idea being to cancel it before it ships if I could find a pair sooner, but at the worst case I wouldn't be empty handed for this season.

I paid for the order on Friday and later that day they sent me an email indicating that they had received them and they are shipping them Monday... :o lol so much for my plan. But the hunt was also wasting a lot of time so although I will pay a premium for them, I will at least be a happy camper once they arrive.

Still holding out for a wider ski, though I am eyeing a set of the Traverse 78. Turns out a local shop carries them here and I still have some gift card balance with them, however they are still waiting for inventory to arrive.
You won't be disappointed! Such a nice ski.