Installing my own NNN BC Bindings but missing a part?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Tom M
Ski style: Skate on Groomed, XCD Off, Backcountry Tele
Favorite Skis: Fischer S-Bound 98 Off Trail, Voile V6 BC for Tele
Favorite boots: Currently skiing Alfa Vista, Alfa Free, Scarpa T2
Website: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCam0VG ... shelf_id=1

Re: Installing my own NNN BC Bindings but missing a part?

Post by Tom M » Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:57 am

All good suggestions above. I've always mounted all my skis. It is very important to find the centerline of the ski and one thing is for sure, don't use the topsheet graphics as a guide, measure from the bottom edge to bottom edge. The masking tape method works well, but what I use is just a paper center ruler. I print out this ruler, cut it out, then stretch it over the top of the ski from ski edge to ski edge, making sure that the center point is equidistant from each steel edge. The paper ruler will bend around the top and sides of the ski, and if you have the ski in a ski vice, you can quickly and accurately find the center of the ski. I do this on three different locations about 6 inches apart where the binding will mount, then I take a straight edge to make sure all 3 points create a straight line. If they don't, then one of the points is not centered, so you need to check again.
Blocklayer_1634178874705.pdf
(619.45 KiB) Downloaded 359 times
In addition, a dedicated ski binding drill bit is worth the money. Here is a link to what I use.
https://www.tognar.com/mounting-drill-b ... -bindings/
Pick the one that is appropriate for the binding.
I just picked up a new set of Sbound 98's and plan to mount them next month when the Xplore binding is available, so maybe I'll put together a short video showing the process I use.

DevinBartley

Post by DevinBartley » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:54 pm

This is a great discussion. It might be the most complete guide to mounting NNN BC ski bindings that exists on the internet. Thank you to everyone who contributed, I think it will provide me with the confidence and techniques to figure this out.

Nick BC
Ski style: Free heel Resort/Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Voile Vector BC,Trab Altavia and Hagan Ride 75
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX and T3

Post by Nick BC » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:57 pm

That idea of a paper ruler is a good one Tom M. If I recall, I got the tape idea from cesare (Charlie Ziskin) on Telemarktips
many moons ago. By the way, I love your You Tube videos.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:27 pm

It's interesting to me that there are often really simple answers to problems that seem so obvious once they become known.
Finding center, case in point.
I feel confident that I have found center for the bindings that I have mounted, but I never looked at the problem critically, to see if there was an easier way to do it than the way I was doing it.
So, then @FourthCoast brought it up and I found:
Capture.JPG
Voilà I thought, there it is!
Then @Nick BC came up with tape -- even simpler, I thought.
Then @Tom M came up with: just print a ruler with centered measurements, and use that.
Even more simple yet!
Is there an even more simple, foolproof way?
I have no idea.
From a perfectionist perspective, I like the measuring jig, because that actually touches the base edge, whereas, the other methods rely on assuming ski shape symmetry, from left to right side (which is, I'm sure, plenty accurate).

Just a random observation about life and problem-solving.