XCd for kids

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
FourthCoast
Ski style: 40-Year-Old Poser

XCd for kids

Post by FourthCoast » Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:28 pm

The Altai Balla Hok skis were great for my daughter last year. I think they may still been a good ski for when we are on ungroomed trails. It is really cool to see her just walk right up a hill on the skins then snowplow down just like she does on alpine grear.

But I would like to get something for her that fits in a set track for the groomed cross country area. I think if just get her a ski with no side cut and plastic edges she will have a really bad time going down hill. I know that is what always turned me off about XC (both as a kid and now!)

I will for sure go for something waxless or with permanent skin like the Hok. I am also thinking that I will use universal bindings from the Hok on the new skis.

Does anyone have some advice for getting an 8 to 9 year old setup for XCd that will fit in a track but still edge and turn going downhill?
Last edited by FourthCoast on Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Re: XCd for kids

Post by riel » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:40 pm

FourthCoast wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:28 pm
I will for sure go for something waxless or with permanent skin like the Hok. I am also thinking that I will use universal bindings from the Hok on the new skis.

Does anyone have some advice for getting an 8 to 9 year old setup for XCd that will fit in a track but still edge and turn going downhill?
I found only two metal edge junior cross country skis online, the Asnes Mountain Race Jr, and the Fischer Adventure 58 (no longer made, but maybe you can find a used set?).

There may be others, but I could not find any...

FourthCoast

Post by FourthCoast » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:07 pm

riel wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:40 pm
I found only two metal edge junior cross country skis online, the Asnes Mountain Race Jr, and the Fischer Adventure 58 (no longer made, but maybe you can find a used set?).

There may be others, but I could not find any...
Thanks riel.

Those two skis look nice. I wish could find a pair. I have not been able to find anything so far.

It seems like the shortest most ski go is around 160cm. I think I need a 130cm or so.

fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Post by fgd135 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:50 pm

Not too many skis in that size range, go longer.
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

FourthCoast

Post by FourthCoast » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:01 am

fgd135 wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:50 pm
Not too many skis in that size range, go longer.
What length do you recommend for a 9 year old? Looking at the sizing charts she is way under the weight for a 160cm ski. Like half the weight. I expect she would not be able to compress the ski enough to get the fishscales to grip.

fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Post by fgd135 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:37 am

Why not look for an older set of kids alpine skis, a narrow pair without too much sidecut. They always seem to show up at ski swaps and garage sales out here.
Try some 110s or something like that, install some xc bindings. No kick and glide, but edge control if the skis are not too heavy. It will always be a trade off, just like tele skiing now, kick v. edge control, just few choices in that size and age range. Good luck!
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

zoomin

Post by zoomin » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:22 am

I got the Mountain Race Juniors for my daughter last year in a 140cm size. She was 10 last year and ~26kg and ~140cm. They were great and she really enjoyed the adventure aspect compared to skiing in the tracks.

She used them withe Rossi WOMEN'S NORDIC TOURING BOOTS XC-5 FW which I also highly recommend. Warm and the extra ankle support worked well for her.

This year I got the 150cm as she is 145cm now and 32kg. Her brother is still too small to use th 140cm ones so I am looking for something for him (20kg and 116cm).

I ordered from Sport Albert and justified the expense because I know that both kids will get use out of them eventually.

I also got the mountain Race skis for myself and mounted them with regular NNN bindings. Along with a similar Rossi touring boot which I find warmer than regular, performance NNN classic boots and I too like the extra ankle cuff suppor when skiing out of the tracks.

zoomin

Post by zoomin » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:42 pm

I should mention another option - the Sporten BC Lite 64 - fishscale, metal edge and availablein shorter lenghts.

Norseman Outdoor in Calgary has some (or did back in September).

They are also who recommended the Rossi Nordic Touring NNN Boots that both my daughter and I are using even though they did not have them in stock themselves. I've received fantastic advice from them in general.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:49 pm

https://www.ansco.com.au/Sporten-BC-Lit ... cl-17_.htm

I’m not sure of the exchange rate to Australian dollars. I think you can buy a waxless XC ski, and a used alpine ski for less. Of course no metal edges on the junior XC ski

FourthCoast

Post by FourthCoast » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:35 am

fisheater wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:49 pm
https://www.ansco.com.au/Sporten-BC-Lit ... cl-17_.htm

I’m not sure of the exchange rate to Australian dollars. I think you can buy a waxless XC ski, and a used alpine ski for less. Of course no metal edges on the junior XC ski
I ordered Sporten BC Lite JR in 145. Thank you, zoomin and fish. I hope they get some use. It was a whole lot more expensive than a simple waxless junior XC ski. But I figured I should support what seems to be the one and only company that makes a waxless junior ski with a metal edge. I think wax and skins on the MR Jr would have been too much trouble.

I really think sliding sideways on rounded-off plastic edges is what turned me off to XC 20 years ago. Or maybe kids just like being on the chairlift and zipping downhill and, now that I am an old fart, I enjoy the solitude more than the downhill speed.