"In 1565 there were two main religions in Colorado: the skiers and the snowboarders"

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
bauerb

"In 1565 there were two main religions in Colorado: the skiers and the snowboarders"

Post by bauerb » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:36 am

"In 1565 there were two main religions in Colorado: the skiers and the snowboarders. The skiers occupied most of western Colorado, the snowboarders held almost everything east, and beyond were the telemarkers (whom no one cares about to this day)."

https://www.aspendailynews.com/opinion/ ... f3152.html

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Re: "In 1565 there were two main religions in Colorado: the skiers and the snowboarders"

Post by Montana St Alum » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:21 am

456 years and counting!

fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Re: "In 1565 there were two main religions in Colorado: the skiers and the snowboarders"

Post by fgd135 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:31 am

Aspen was the very last holdout in Colorado that prohibited snowboards/hence the story. The easternmost, smaller, ski areas allowed snowboards on their hills in the early 1980s--Eldora, Berthoud Pass, Geneva Basin, Loveland, maybe even Hidden Valley, probably because they couldn't afford to turn away business more than for any kind of philosophical reasons. This spilled over into Summit County and Vail, Steamboat, etc., there was/is way too much money in the equation to let it go.
Big money, old money, Aspen resisted until much later.
In the meantime, tele skiers were/still are everywhere, under the radar...
Last edited by fgd135 on Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

Montana St Alum

Post by Montana St Alum » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:09 am

Yeah, Alta and Deer Valley are the two holdouts here. I used to snowboard as part of my strategy to stay 2 sports ahead of my sons, but after doing that off and on for a few years I lost interest. The attraction is that it's insanely easy to learn. By about day 18 or so, you're pretty much an expert except in the terrain park.

IDK how it is in Colorado, but most places I've been, tele skiers don't have to be under the radar. It's just skiing, after all.
But I do notice a profound difference in snow quality at Alta and Deer Valley because of the lack of snowboarders. The tendency among snowboarders to skid really does trash the runs.

エイダン.シダル

Post by エイダン.シダル » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:29 am

Montana St Alum wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:09 am
The tendency among snowboarders to skid really does trash the runs.
That's been my suspicion here in the Canadian East, and God knows our snow is poor enough as it is. But what really pisses me off about (many) 'borders is sitting all over the middle of the flipping runs. It's so hard to move to one side?

Montana St Alum

Post by Montana St Alum » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:37 am

What I really like is when snowboarders lie down in the middle of the run, just on the downslope side of small rises. It's like they're waiting to have you land on them!
SURPRISE!

エイダン.シダル

Post by エイダン.シダル » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:08 pm

Nordic is my main thing now, hence I'm here. However, I've got to take the family on holiday alpine trips. I wish there were more old-school anti-boarding resorts, not so much because I've got a problem with borders, as I'm an old crank who misses the old wood-heated lodges, basic lifts, and could do without the younger demographic and the tacky shit resorts do to appeal to them: like piped music, etc.

Montana St Alum

Post by Montana St Alum » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:26 pm

エイダン.シダル wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:08 pm
Nordic is my main thing now, hence I'm here. However, I've got to take the family on holiday alpine trips. I wish there were more old-school anti-boarding resorts, not so much because I've got a problem with borders, as I'm an old crank who misses the old wood-heated lodges, basic lifts, and could do without the younger demographic and the tacky shit resorts do to appeal to them: like piped music, etc.
Yeah, got me interested in looking into places like that.
I wouldn't put Alta in that category. It's a madhouse these days, but:
https://www.organicauthority.com/live-g ... er-getaway

I haven't been to Bridger Bowl or Red Lodge in Montana in ages. I wonder how they have evolved. I like going to Grand Targhee in Wyoming. It's still pretty cool, but it does have snowboarders. To tell you the truth, I'd take a 20 year old snowboarder over a middle aged man on carving skis. Those guys are nuts!

エイダン.シダル

Post by エイダン.シダル » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:46 pm

Well, look what I found on the Internet:
https://skiindie.com

To be fair to the young'uns, I was a crank when I had my youth still, also. Alpine or Nordic, I'm there to ski, not to fuck around.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:26 pm

エイダン.シダル wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:46 pm
Well, look what I found on the Internet:
https://skiindie.com

To be fair to the young'uns, I was a crank when I had my youth still, also. Alpine or Nordic, I'm there to ski, not to fuck around.
Don't forget the Indy Pass. I've been getting it for 3 years now. A little more limited in Canada though. Japan!
https://www.indyskipass.com/