Happy New Year

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Cannatonic

Re: Happy New Year

Post by Cannatonic » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:18 pm

LoveJohnny wrote: Oh while we're at it... I finally gave in to that ebay auction...
Here's my latest addition to my XCD quiver. 205cm, single camber, 55mm wide:
LJ - nice! You got the Merrells which are supposedly Asnes. did you go with Voile 3pc - on balance point? (just curious) I measured them at 66-56-60. They actually do have a bit of camber, less than E99's but more than flat camber alpine or classic tele.

and you gotta love the 90's "gay" graphics! oh yeah, Lavender topskins with swirly pink triangles, damn I still miss the 90's…..time to crank up the Alice in Chains and Soundgarden…...
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

Raventele
BANNED!
BANNED!

Post by Raventele » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:33 pm

YES! XCD Visum!!!
[video][/video]
"Everyone is helpful, everyone is kind, on the road to Shambala"

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:00 am

Yep, Voile 3p, pins straight on balance point. "A bit" of camber?!? The guy said "Single camber, just like an alpine ski". This is what I wanted. My guess is the guy never actually seen an alpine ski before. (Are you the seller Cannatonic? Or the one who bought the other pair..? : )

Jesus, it might be single cambered, it's one hell of a camber! They are impossible to turn. But they sure look awesome!

Gay nineties? You mean more like Evan Dando and Lemonheads and all that stuff...? 8-)

I *LOVE* the graphics! In fact, it's gonna be perfect with my old Merrell shirt... All I need now is a pair of Super Comp boots, one my size this time... (I bought a pair of "Size 11" on ebay 2 years ago... They were actually size 8... I hate ebay...)
101_0192.jpg
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:07 pm

Those skis are rad - but not as cool as Soundgarden. Badmotorfinger was a religious experience for me.

They look like they are super stiff. I can see from how thick the tip is. Can I see a side profile shot? I'd like to see how much they change thickness along the length.

How much do you weigh Johnny? You might not be heavy enough for a ski like that. Can you get them to go flat to the floor standing on both of them i.e. 50% of your weight on each ski? If not you're going to have to start eating more candy and protein shakes.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:11 pm

Ahahahahah! I hate Soundgarden, STP, Mother Love bone, RHCP, RATM, Temple of the dog etc... I really hated grunge and 90's rock... I never got it... I'm more a 80's guy... ; )

I'm about 6'1, 160lbs... They are quite easy to get flat of the snow... They're not double camber... It's not that bad, it's just that I was expecting something really flat from a "Single camber, just like an alpine ski". But that ski doesn't seem to exist yet.

I only tried them once at the resort, on 3" of heavy afternoon crud... I'll try them with a thicker duckbill on real snow next time... Or with cables if it's too icy... It was actually my very first time skiing something that long! (I still feel that my Glittertinds are way too short at 190cm...)
DSC_7798.JPG
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

gfwp

Post by gfwp » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:09 pm

LoveJohnny wrote:
I'm about 6'1, 160lbs... They are quite easy to get flat of the snow... They're not double camber... It's not that bad, it's just that I was expecting something really flat from a "Single camber, just like an alpine ski". But that ski doesn't seem to exist yet.
Of course it exist!

Just follow SB philosophy: downsizing.

Pick a ski shorter than its table recommendation (about 2 measure shorter).

Regards

gfwp

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:20 pm

Actually Johnny... I'm of the mind they should have stopped making new music after 1969. That was the pinnacle. But I do like me some Soundgarden... and Sublime.

I might be interested in buying those skis from you. I'm a good 40-50lbs more (all muscle of course ;) ) and I can probably actually ski something that long.

I think gfwp is correct, shorter is better for someone that light.

MikeK

Post by MikeK » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:58 pm

FWIW I didn't get to finish my post, my wife was nagging me to go out... no skiing in NY today - all rain, then a hard freeze but hopefully more snow on the way.

Anyway, I ski a 200cm Glittertind and they feel too short for me i.e. not stiff enough for xc. I could seriously ski a 215 although I wouldn't. I skied that long a xc ski when I weighed 20 lbs less. About as small as I get is 185 lbs...

The side profile thickness of those skis looks much different than a xc ski. Very thick at the tip and not so thick near the middle. Torsionally they should be much stiffer, but it will also make them harder to reverse camber.
Last edited by MikeK on Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:54 pm

yes, I took the other 205 Merrell and the 205 Kamazas as well - the Super Comps have slightly more camber than the Kazamas, a little harder to push flat to the floor. I thought they'd be better at XC touring type stuff, they are very light weight. They look durable, for the price I couldn't resist, you get $15 off for going to the store.

They are stiff and do not have much sidecut either, probably not ideal for lift-served cruising, they seem designed for the Norwegian plateau, Asnes is still using the same profile for a few of their skis. As Teleman says you have to be patient with this type of ski, you start the turn and wait for them to come around, hopefully.

but you HAD to buy them to match that t-shirt! that's awesome. Why were we wearing pink ski gear? Definitely need some super comp boots to complete the picture. the neon-green anorak I wore in the early 90's has thankfully passed into history and will not be coming back. My sister did continue to wear it at Tahoe throughout the 90's which is scary.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

CIMA
Ski style: NNN-BC
Favorite Skis: Rossignol XP100
Favorite boots: Fischer BC GT

Post by CIMA » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:49 pm

MikeK wrote: We should start a Glittertind club... :geek:
How nice!
We'd like to invite SB as the supervisor of our club. :-)
MikeK wrote: I'm sure CIMA will love them. Compared to some of the other skis he has these are probably the softest.
Indeed. That one is the softest and skinniest for me.
On one hand, there is a touch of uncertainty about the stability on rough snow conditions and on the other hand, I'm hoping that the flexibility of the Glittertind will enable me to make quicker short turns with smaller arc. Mine is the shortest one: 170cm.
The flowing river never stops and yet the water never stays the same.