How messed up are my skis after this bungled mounting job

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: How messed up are my skis after this bungled mounting job

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:54 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:49 pm
lilcliffy wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:09 pm
エイダン.シダル wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 4:13 pm
Speaking of bungled mountings jobs: I'd planned to put Magnums on S Bound Outabound 88s, and regular NNN BCs on Gammes. After I mounted the S Bounds, I realized I'd put the wrong ones on. However, funny thing is that although the S bounds' bases are wider, the mounting section is narrower than the Gammes (it's stepped inwards), so this turned out to be a happy accident. Put the Magnums on the Gammes.
The mounting section of the Outtabounds is narrower than the Gamme?
Weird...
Is it an Outtabounds (88-68-78) or a Rebound?
The Gamme is only 54mm at the waist, and that is at the steel edge, it too has a tapered sidewall...
The Outtabounds have a raised mounting plate on top of the ski and I just checked... And it's 2mm narrower than the Gamme top. So whaddya know!
Wow- weird!
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

DoItOnTheSnow

Post by DoItOnTheSnow » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:07 pm

Finally popped the bindings off and...well looks like someone murdered a bottle of wood glue while mounting. I have some plastic razor blades I will see how much I can scrape off and keep you all posted.
05.jpeg
03.jpeg
02.jpeg
01.jpeg

DoItOnTheSnow

Post by DoItOnTheSnow » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:56 pm

UPDATE: Glue is coming off no problem. There is some minor volcano from the top sheet.

Decided to check how accurate the balance point they used was...their line is a full 7/8" behind what I measured as the balance point. I still have the heel plate on which is pretty light and probably negligible, but removing that will push my balance point even further forward from what they used to drill the holes.

I'm going to leave it as is for now and sleep on it...
Screen Shot 2021-11-30 at 7.53.28 PM.png
07.jpeg

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:14 am

Options are:
1. Remount as drilled and move on;
2. Drill new holes and mount in proper location;
3. If both of those kill your joy, see if you can find another set of those skis, mount them yourself, and return the originals to REI.

And move on…

Not being snide — just seems like those are the options.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:09 am

Looks like the volcano may have actually just been the glue hardening in the space.

Clean them up, use a good poly glue, re-insert, backing the screw in to find the original threads, don't let the binding walk up the screw, ski them and see if you like them. Forward mount will aid grip and turning if that's in your future. Otherwise, remount at BP for better glide. Plenty of room for several remounts, do not sweat that.

Tough pill to swallow on new skis.

FourthCoast
Ski style: 40-Year-Old Poser

Post by FourthCoast » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:32 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:09 am
Looks like the volcano may have actually just been the glue hardening in the space.
[...]
My first thought when I saw the pictures after disassembly was, "Woods was right". It seems like the screws biting into the holes in the binding caused the binding to sit proud of the ski surface. The things that looked like volcanos, to me, were globs of dried wood glue surrounding the screws.

Thanks for the updates, @DoItOnTheSnow !

DoItOnTheSnow

Post by DoItOnTheSnow » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:26 pm

Stephen wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:14 am

Not being snide — just seems like those are the options.
Not snide at all, 100% agree that these are options. Just like @Woodserson said its a tough pill to swallow on new skis.

Also thinking about getting a case number or something with REI so I can ride them as is and trade them in next year when they get them back in stock.

Krakus
Ski style: many falls
Favorite Skis: Tua Grande Neige :), Asnes Nansen, Salomon XADV89
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard, Fischer BCX675

Post by Krakus » Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:26 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:11 am
The slight bowing of the plastic bits to the heel pad is normal.
I am taking opportunity of this thread, as I just have NNNBC manual mounted by local serviceman. The front part and the heel piece are ok, tighty flat on ski, but what I am having some doubts, is a little gap under the part with ridges. It is maybe a half of a milimeter or so, I am able to slip in a double folded paper. I already had several bindings mounted by this workshop, and something like this never happened. Is this acceptable, or should rather be corrected in some way?
A wiązanie 12.jpg
A wiazanie 22.jpg

riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Post by riel » Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:50 pm

Krakus wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:26 pm
Woodserson wrote:
I am taking opportunity of this thread, as I just have NNNBC manual mounted by local serviceman. The front part and the heel piece are ok, tighty flat on ski, but what I am having some doubts, is a little gap under the part with ridges. It is maybe a half of a milimeter or so, I am able to slip in a double folded paper. I already had several bindings mounted by this workshop, and something like this never happened. Is this acceptable, or should rather be corrected in some way?
That is normal. I am not aware of a way to avoid that little gap.

It does not seem to affect skiing, since when you push on the ski with one side of your boot, you'll push it right down.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:17 pm

riel wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:50 pm
Krakus wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:26 pm
Woodserson wrote:
That is normal.
+1