What kind of wax is this?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Chisana
Ski style: Sliding on snow
Favorite Skis: EMS Woodies
Favorite boots: Merrell ultras

Re: What kind of wax is this?

Post by Chisana » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:49 am

Well, if you really want to get serious about this you will need a ski form, wax iron,scrapers and nylon, brass and horsehair brushes.
For a new ski, iron in the warmest wax you have. After it cools, scrape with a plastic scraper til no wax seems present on the base. Then brush aggressively to further remove any wax. The only wax left should be in the pores of the sintered base. This is the procedure of cleaning and prepping a base. Then repeat all of the above with the glide wax of the day. You are now ready for the Olympics. But once again,for most of us skiers who are not Olympic athletes, this is overkill. Glide wax your bases in the glide zone, kick wax your waxpocket ( if not fishscaled) and ski those suckers.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: What kind of wax is this?

Post by lowangle al » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:39 am

FWIW Back in the day in more tropical regions people used to rub their ski bases with the peel of an overripe banana for maximum glide. ;)