What kind of wax is this?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
John Dee

What kind of wax is this?

Post by John Dee » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:20 pm

This is vintage wax from the 1980's or 90's. I think that the bars are glide wax. What are they for? Which ones should I use first?

I included some colors of kick wax that I'm not sure if I will need or not. The white one says X-elit Sweden 0 to -10c and is brown. Also, does anyone have good ways to repackage them with tinfoil or something?

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours
Favorite Skis: DH: Voile V6, Altai KOMs, XCD: Asnes FT62, XC: Nansen, E99, Bonna 1800
Favorite boots: T2Eco, T4, Rossignol BCX10

Re: What kind of wax is this?

Post by Woodserson » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:17 pm

Hmmm well... The bars are glide wax. I'm willing to bet the reds are on the upper end of the spectrum. Every manufacturer has/had a slightly different code.

The best thing to do here is test hardness. The harder they are the colder the temp. Use your fingernail or time the time it takes to melt. The longer to get a drip the harder it is.

I'll let others chime in about the grip waxes. I would leave them in their tins.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:28 pm

The glide wax looks like Toko sticks to me. That is either the exception of the blue. I used Toko yellow, red, and green in order from warm to cold. It was less expensive than Swix and to me at least as good.
Back in the day, my buddies would stop by for a wax, maybe an edge file, or some p-Tex work. Usually there was a beer or two involved as well.

John Dee

Post by John Dee » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:37 pm

fisheater wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:28 pm
I used Toko yellow, red, and green in order from warm to cold.
Are you sure you don't have that reversed? I sort of arranged them left to right from hardest to softest. One the other hand, the color blue intuitively would be colder and red warmer.

Woodserson
Favorite Skis: DH: Voile V6, Altai KOMs, XCD: Asnes FT62, XC: Nansen, E99, Bonna 1800

Post by Woodserson » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:48 pm

John Dee wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:37 pm
fisheater wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:28 pm
I used Toko yellow, red, and green in order from warm to cold.
Are you sure you don't have that reversed? I sort of arranged them left to right from hardest to softest. One the other hand, the color blue intuitively would be colder and red warmer.
Currently in both glide and grip wax, Toko goes: Yellow Red Blue

Fish is correct

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:52 pm

PXL_20211119_235114495.jpg
From The New Cross Country Ski Book by John Caldwell 1973

fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Post by fgd135 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:23 pm

That yellow Swix is for those folks that insisted on using hard waxes in really warm conditions. I never found it to work for me. Red is more useful as it covers the temps just a few degrees above freezing when the snow is still crusty or just warming over to wet, but not quite soggy.

Removal of both those kick waxes is the same procedure as klister--liberally sprinkle baby powder on the wax, allow it to sit about a minute, then scrape; repeat as needed.
Storing those waxes in a ziplock bag separately from your other kick wax is very good idea since they're so tacky to handle.

The white wax is a kick wax for very cold conditions.

Comments about the glide waxes are spot on--rub them into the base and then cork, or use a waxing iron, then scrape and cork. No need to apply glide wax in the wax pocket on classic skis...

John Dee

Post by John Dee » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:44 pm

I'm confused because I didn't think that people change their glide wax day-to-day. What is the problem with too hard glide wax, it flakes off? Is there something that you should put on brand new skis to "prime" them, waxable, or waxless pattern?

Chisana

Post by Chisana » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:29 am

Can't really add to what has been posted above, other than agree with woodsersons suggestion of fingernail or melt point would be a good method of determining the glide wax comparisons. And don't overthink the waxing issue. It isn't all that critical unless you plan on competing in ski races. While I am a little finicky on waxing my in track classics and my skate skis, I have on occasion used just plain parrafin as glide wax on my backcountry skis. And frequently I kick wax the whole length of my woodies.. Don't get me wrong, hitting the wax perfectly is very satisfying, but don't let it get too complicated. I find that the correct kick wax is more important than glide. Keep in mind that I am not a telemarker, just a guy who likes to ski in track and out.

John Dee

Post by John Dee » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:42 am

Well, the only part of my question that was of any high stakes was whether there was something to "prime" a new ski base with. Heck, I read here that people put on klister before applying glide wax.