Skiing Backcountry

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Tdimmer

Skiing Backcountry

Post by Tdimmer » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:03 pm

Hello good day! I am looking to get into back country, cross country skiing, and would like some feedback. I am a more experienced downhill skier then cross country but the last couple years I have found a new love in cross country skiing. I am looking on some info or input on what type or ski to buy, I am looking for a ski that has great capability in the flats across lakes and in the bush aswell as exploring areas that are steep and snow is deep. Looking for a ski which performs in places where I'm the only track. Thanks!

stilltryin
Ski style: Wandering the untracked (by humans)
Favorite Skis: Voile V6 BC; Karhu XCD/GT
Favorite boots: Scarpa T3; Alpina Alaska NNN-BC

Re: Skiing Backcountry

Post by stilltryin » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:00 pm

Where y'at?
Or where do you plan to ski? -- that info could be helpful.
Flats vs. steep and deep requires compromise, but there are skis that try to provide that.
Do you lean more toward exploring/touring or touring primarily for turns?
That info will help.

Edit: I'm sitting here thinking, so I'll say more.
Altai Hoks in the bush -- short, wide, half skins in the bottom; cross between ski and snowshoe; climb well; not really for making turns (though can be done, see the videos at Altai) or covering distance quickly; skins will slow you on the down which has its place.
Voile V6 or Altai Kom for making turns in the steep and deep (>120 tips); Fischer 112, Madshus 78 -- a bit narrower.
Leaning more toward touring end of compromise): Fischer 98, Madshus 68 (fischer uses tip#, madshus uses waist).
Many here love Asnes, but I have no experience with those.
You'll likely hear a lot more!
Welcome.
Last edited by stilltryin on Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:14 pm

Location is somewhat important, especially country.
Availability is a real concern and may end up affecting your final decision, and your country will affect that.
There are members here from Europe, Asia, North America, Oceania, …

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:23 pm

Hi and welcome. I don't think it matters as much where you ski as what your goals are. I love to xc ski and I love being in the BC and I love the thrill of the downhill. My ideal quiver of one go anywhere do anything setup is a light plastic boot (scarpa T4) and a lightweight alpine cambered ski ( Voile Ultra vector or similar)

There are other thrills to be found on the mountain that other, lighter skis and boots might be better for but if downhill fun is a priority a setup like I mentioned will have you doing stable parallel turns right out of the gate. (assuming you already have a good P turn)