Binding Questions for Scarpa T2

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Glxph

Binding Questions for Scarpa T2

Post by Glxph » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:37 pm

So I'm just getting back into skiing and decided it was time to mess around with the telemark side of things. Bought a cheap classic Nordic set up, which I promptly tried to do tele turns with on steep and deep terrain, which lead to ripping the toe out of an old pair of Alpina classic boots. Decided to upgrade to a new NNN BC set up but while I was waiting for my new skis to get mounted I found a pair of what I believe to be mid 90s Scarpa T2s. My local used sporting goods store had a ton of skis mounted with G3 Targa style cable bindings, but all the cables were too short (the boots don't have a mondo listed size but the inside tongue says 10-11, and I wear an 11.5 shoe, outsole tip to tail is 35cm). My local thrift shop also had an old pair of Rossi's with Rottefella NN bindings, picked em up for 10 bucks hoping i could remount the bindings and have a weird light tele mess around set up, but the soles were too thick for the clip.

So clearly I'm pretty clueless when it comes to the freeheel world and my local area has 1 ski shop that doesn't stock anything telemark related (haven't been able to find a Telemark supplier online in Canada either). There is a local person selling off a bunch of his old Tele skis, all of them have a releasable NN system (they almost look like a modern Kandahar but with a really beefy cylinder in front of the toe).

My question is, assuming the sole thickness works in the bindings, would it be worth it to use the Scarpa's on a 3 pin system like that with no cables. Or would the boots be too powerful/uncomfortable for that set up? (the skis are older Hagans that look like they are 90-100 wide). They would primarily be used to tour around a local abandoned ski resort, nothing really extreme.

Also I think the boots have a ton of Rocker Launch, idk if that will affect the boot binding combo at all. The vibram sole was also delaminating slightly at the toe of one boot but I applied gorrilla superglue and clamped it and it seems to be okay, idk if that will also break apart during use or not but luckily the boots were cheap to begin with. Thanks in advance!
5de9bbbf22cb1bfc8698dd1e30ec3f97.png
IMG_20211125_095042.jpg
IMG_20211125_094221.jpg
IMG_20211125_094208.jpg

stilltryin
Ski style: Wandering the untracked (by humans)
Favorite Skis: Voile V6 BC; Karhu XCD/GT
Favorite boots: Scarpa T3; Alpina Alaska NNN-BC

Re: Binding Questions for Scarpa T2

Post by stilltryin » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:42 pm

Those "beefy cylinders" cover a spring that allows the toe piece to be releasable (based on the amount of tension to which you set the spring).
I've resort skied with 3-pin cable bindings (with T2 boots) and knocked the cable off in a fall (more than once!) w/o realizing it until a couple more runs -- so 3-pin only can work. I guess it is putting more force on the boot toe and binding, but if your not really pushing things, I think it can work -- at least for a while. Just one person's opinion.
Edit: Technically the bindings were 3-pin hardwire (not cable).

Glxph

Re: Binding Questions for Scarpa T2

Post by Glxph » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:48 pm

Okay sweet, the old resort terrain is mainly blueish~ runs and I imagine it's possible to buy replacement cables/wires? The guy is only asking for a $50 donation to a local ski program for the Hagans so if they don't work out at least the money is going to a good cause! I'm sure there's much more expensive ways to dislocate my knees :D