NNN BC bindings set too long?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Sloth Monster

NNN BC bindings set too long?

Post by Sloth Monster » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:10 pm

I just purchased a ski package from out of state, fischer s bound 98. The store mounted the bindings, nnn-bc magnum.
I just noticed something off, I ordered boots that were size 44 with the package. The heel of the bindings are set past the 43-47 mark, by maybe half an inch. It seems they drilled, taped and screwed the heel in. I peeled back some of the tape and saw a screw. Will this be an issue? I may end up with size 43 boots with these skis. Is this usuable without issues? I ordered out of state, as skis are hard to find in my area.
Sorry, no pictures, I am away from the skis for a few days.
Happy Thanksgiving for all USA users!

stilltryin
Ski style: Wandering the untracked (by humans)
Favorite Skis: Voile V6 BC; Karhu XCD/GT
Favorite boots: Scarpa T3; Alpina Alaska NNN-BC

Re: NNN BC bindings set too long?

Post by stilltryin » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:08 pm

Does your boot heel land on the heelpiece? That's what is importrant.
My heel piece extends an inch beyond my boot heel.
Also, just FYI, my boots are 45; the line that precedes 44-47 is about 3/8 inch from the front part of the binding.
I dunno about tape and screws -- sounds odd, but hopefully more techie types will reply.

Sloth Monster

Post by Sloth Monster » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:26 pm

stilltryin wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:08 pm
Does your boot heel land on the heelpiece? That's what is importrant.
My heel piece extends an inch beyond my boot heel.
Also, just FYI, my boots are 45; the line that precedes 44-47 is about 3/8 inch from the front part of the binding.
I dunno about tape and screws -- sounds odd, but hopefully more techie types will reply.
Only mid-heel of the boot reaches the heel piece.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:49 pm

Mid heel would still offer all the support you need. The other option is to remove the tape, pull the back screw of the toe piece and the screw on the heel piece. You will need to plug the hole in the heel piece. I have always used water proof Titebond glue. I thought I was pretty modern when I upgraded to Titebond III, but Åsnes is strongly recommending polyurethane. I guess my next mount will be Gorilla glue. For the plug, I use a bit of JB Weld epoxy that l work in with a toothpick. You should use fresh glue when you put put the the toe piece screw back in. Mr. Woodserson has offered excellent advice on how to be sure to reuse the original thread path. Turn the screw gently backwards until you feel it drop into the thread, then turn it correctly clockwise to tighten. You will need to drill a new heel piece hole. You just don’t want to drill through the bottom of the ski. I wrap electrical tape around the drill bit as a stop on the bit.
To me drilling a hole is a lot easier than shipping skis. It also might incline you to mount your own next time.

Sloth Monster

Post by Sloth Monster » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:19 pm

Thanks! If it's good enough I'll leave it be.
Also, when clipped in, the heel is about an inch above the heel piece. I assume this is normal? First pair of skis, excuse my ignorance :roll:
I guess for the next pair I'll drill my own holes. My main sport is mountain biking, I do all my own maintenance to insure its done correctly.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:26 pm

Sloth Monster wrote:
Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:19 pm
Thanks! If it's good enough I'll leave it be.
Also, when clipped in, the heel is about an inch above the heel piece. I assume this is normal? First pair of skis, excuse my ignorance :roll:
I guess for the next pair I'll drill my own holes. My main sport is mountain biking, I do all my own maintenance to insure its done correctly.
That is how my Alaska clip in, about an inch above. In my area of Michigan we have awesome mountain bike trails. On a bike the ability to go really fast downhill and carry that speed back uphill makes for fast exciting riding.
I ski those same trails on my Gamme, and they are a lot of fun. I just can’t carry enough speed on the skis to fly uphill like I can on my bike!

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:09 am

The mind boggles. Where are these "techs" coming from?