BCX TRANSNORDIC 75 waterproof

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
oldboy

BCX TRANSNORDIC 75 waterproof

Post by oldboy » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:23 am

Did a quick search and could not find anything about these new boots. Has anyone tried them ? How do they compare to what's out there ? I have T4's for making proper turns and have used Fischer BCX 675's for years for mellower outings but they will need to be replaced.

John Dee

Re: BCX TRANSNORDIC 75 waterproof

Post by John Dee » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:10 am

You're not supposed to make threads like this in this subforum.

stilltryin
Ski style: Wandering the untracked (by humans)
Favorite Skis: Voile V6 BC; Karhu XCD/GT
Favorite boots: Scarpa T3; Alpina Alaska NNN-BC

Post by stilltryin » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:00 pm

John Dee wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:10 am
You're not supposed to make threads like this in this subforum.
Could you point to where this is explained? I'm pretty new here, and I guess I missed it.

Edit: Looking around for any direction on this, I did find in the description of the Community Ski Reviews subforum "...new threads looking for opinions should be posted on the main Telemark Talk Forum."

oldboy

Post by oldboy » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:56 pm

Sorry, please delete if not appropriate or wrong place then.

Cheers

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:58 pm

You're fine, OldBoy. It will get more traction here, but you're fine. Welcome.

I handled a pair recently... There is a post somewhere here about them. The are very tall and very stiff. Not sure about the waterproofness but I'm sure they are quite resistant at the very least. I don't know if they are a T4 replacement but I would be wary using them in any sort of kick and glide over long distances.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:00 pm

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:08 pm

Seems like a reasonable question to me. We do not yet have a review of this boot. What has been posted about this boot from folks that have handled this boot in a shop, is that the boot has a tall stiff leather upper. The sole is also reported to be quite stiff. The boot is from initial reports geared to the big D side of xcD.
That’s all we know so far. Oldboy, maybe you can be the guy to review one for us???

oldboy

Post by oldboy » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:38 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'm interested to give them a try. If I can get my hands on a pair I'll report back. Cheers !

Ira

Post by Ira » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:09 pm

I haven't tried the BCX Transnordic in the snow, but I just bought them from Backcountry and am returning after trying on one boot. I put the Transnordic on one foot, and my well-loved well-worn Fischer BCX 675 on the other, and the Transnordic felt like a plastic alpine boot, and hurt to take 2 steps.

I talked to the Fischer rep who shared that this is designed for repeated turns rather than K&G (and that, since I'm doing 90% K&G this isn't the fit).

I'm a beginner, so this might not be transferable to all, but to me it didn't have the fore-aft flexibility I'd need for K&G (but it does have a lot more stiffness than my Fischer BCX 675. I was hoping for something with a tiny bit more lateral stiffness without losing fore-after flexibility, but this felt like an entirely different boot!

It made me wish I could find Crispi Svartisen in my size!

brwilkinson

Post by brwilkinson » Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:51 am

I received these boots today and they are solid, for sure. All of below is just my first impressions.

I owned the older model and I still have them for comparison. The duck bill split on my old pair, so I had to order a new set. The old pair were under warranty, however I am still waiting for Fischer to provide replacements.

I did order 1 size larger from 44 up to 45 however they weigh in very similar old vs new.

The boots are stiff sideways, however they do flex in the forward/back (kick & glide) motion. They are about 2" (50mm) higher up the leg/calve. They are the same height as my Alpine boots. I am REALLY happy with the extra support.

The materials and internal padding are comparable to the old model. I always felt the padding was designed well to stop the heel slipping and it always worked well for me. The heel velcro strap, should also help with that, I usually tighten that strap. I also always liked the material for warmth and breathability, even for long days.

They are much easier to get on and off, without the built-in gaiter/cuff, you can undo the laces all the way down on the calf/leg, because they have lace hooks (4 each side). Then on the foot section 4 eyelets each side. To do them up, it takes quite a bit to get them tight, because of the padding (since they are brand new), however they feel good for me, plus without the cover, there is more room, leverage and control the loosen/tighten.

I wore through (broke) sets of laces on the old pair, this design seem like they might last longer, so I like the change, plus the new lace tabs/eyelets/hooks are robust. I also broke/repaired the cuff elastic on my old pair, this doesn't exist on the new model. I also tore a hole in a pair of (separate/external) gaiters on the old plastic frame on the old model, since that doesn't exist on the new ones, I think you could now easily wear (separate) gaiters over these, if you were in deep snow.

So like I said first impressions. However these are the exact changes/updates that I was looking for. I am really happy. Admittedly my daily drivers are S-Bound 98's. I also ordered S-Bound 112's for this season. I really want to put Xplore bindings, with Alfa free boots on those, however I can't justify the price right now. So I plan to see how these boots go, plus see how Xplore reviews go then buy bindings based on that (for the 112's).

It's warm and wet here in the Pacific North West... Hoping it cools down soon enough.