Forum name change?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Re: Forum name change?

Post by Johnny » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:11 am

mikesee wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:56 pm
My point is that a very, very, very small percentage of discussions here have anything to do with turning.
Be the change you want to see in the world.
Waiting for others or renaming the world around you won't change a thing.

Woodserson wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:26 pm
I like turning it's the best part
We all live for the turn.
And although it's our final destination, I think there are several other interesting things along the path.

jyw5 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:10 pm
old timer Curtis Johns posted this on fb today!
Nice! I remember posting that video here a few years ago...

And if I may add*... Just like in all my favorite tele movies, notice how you don't see any cables, any ball and chains or stinking T4s... Just free skiers with totally free heels and free minds.. No compromise, no "strings attached"... 8-)

* For those who think I'm a freak and a purist... For those who get easily pissed off by my comments on FREE-heeling and my sense of humor... And for all those who keep recommending T4s and cables for low angle stuff...
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

John_XCD
Ski style: Powdery aspen glades
Favorite Skis: XC race skis, Finnmark, Breidablikk, S-98, Objective BC, FT62 (xplore model)
Favorite boots: Guard Adv NNNBC

Post by John_XCD » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:29 am

jyw5 wrote:

wow! he really ripped in his time (and probably still does). would love to be able to ski like that on my gear.

I have that 123 tips book. I think if you ski light tele gear, this book is a must.

I watch a ton of videos and spend a small part of the time practicing technique every time I am out. It's a life long journey for me. we all can't be naturals like those guys in the video.
I stumbled across that video recently. As well as this one from Killington (

Can anyone ski like that in the modern era? There are a number of 80s/early 90s era videos but nothing in the last 30 yrs. I feel relatively good about my telemark skiing on nnnbc in powder/corn but this flying through the air, jump turns, moguls is wild. Must there be a re-rebirth of telemark in the 2020s after digging through out of print books and lost videos?

mikesee
Ski style: Tours for turns

Post by mikesee » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:36 am

Johnny wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:11 am

Waiting for others or renaming the world around you won't change a thing.

Your defensiveness tells me not that I am wrong, but indeed that I have struck a nerve because I'm right.

It might be worth repeating that I make this suggestion not in any negative light, more from a truth in advertising perspective.

Give it some thought.

Purple Hangover

Post by Purple Hangover » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:49 am

mikesee wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:47 pm
I check in here from October through March -- sometimes two or three times daily -- hoping to glean another tidbit or three about drop knee turning.

For whatever reason, that simply isn't what this forum is about anymore.

Given the preponderance of threads devoted to these two subjects, I submit that the new forum name should be:

'Asnes and Leathers'.

Alternate working title: K&G on your NNN BC'

Nothing wrong with where the forum has gone, it's just no longer accurate to call it Telemark Tips.

Discuss?
I couldn't agree more. I used to peruse this site 10 or 15 years ago. Even participated a little if I recall (although that was so long ago I don't remember my screen name). It was sorta fun. Telemark was enjoying a resurgence, gear was improving by leaps and bounds and the place was filled with actual telemark skiers. Drifted away because...life. But then just yesterday, on a lark, I decided to check-in and see what was going on. Well, this isn't a telemark site anymore. It's clearly a XC skiing site. Nothing wrong with that but I find it fascinating that it changed so much in about 10 years. I like XC skiing too so I thought I'd poke around and then I saw this thread and it seemed consistent with the disorientation I initially felt so I registered and this is my first post. Hi! But, if I can ask, what happened? And did folks change their screen names because I don't recognize any of you?

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:52 am

jyw5 wrote:

wow! he really ripped in his time (and probably still does). would love to be able to ski like that on my gear.

I have that 123 tips book. I think if you ski light tele gear, this book is a must.

I watch a ton of videos and spend a small part of the time practicing technique every time I am out. It's a life long journey for me. we all can't be naturals like those guys in the video.
I had a buddy when I was in college who was on an XC national team of some sort. Skied the bumps on upper Bridger at Bridger Bowl like that in the early '70's. He may even have been smoother, but that could be my faulty memory combined with the surprise at the time. He spent at least one winter in a tent in Vail teaching XC skiing in the area. Pretty awesome skier!

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics

Post by Johnny » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:17 am

mikesee wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:36 am
It might be worth repeating that I make this suggestion not in any negative light
It might be worth repeating that this is a participatory forum. Its content only depends on what you guys publish here. You guys only are responsible for what you read here. If you enjoy modern, resort telemark skiing with beefy boots and tech bindings as much as most of us do, there is nothing and no one to stop you from sharing your adventures, memories and reviews.

Why put the blame on participating skiers who post stuff about a different flavor of telemark?

Be the change you want to see.
Give it some thought.

Purple Hangover

Post by Purple Hangover » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:24 am

Johnny wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:17 am

It might be worth repeating that this is a participatory forum.
Is there another type of forum?

mikesee
Ski style: Tours for turns

Post by mikesee » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:26 am

Johnny wrote:

Try to follow me here: If there are few to no threads devoted to turning, how shall I participate?

I just took a 20+ year break from skiing. Trying to get back up to speed. When I get there, I'll have things to share.

Will there be an appropriate place to share them?

Purple Hangover

Post by Purple Hangover » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:31 am

mikesee wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:26 am
Johnny wrote:

Try to follow me here: If there are few to no threads devoted to turning, how shall I participate?

I just took a 20+ year break from skiing. Trying to get back up to speed. When I get there, I'll have things to share.

Will there be an appropriate place to share them?
I'm only recently back into the internet skiing game. Maybe there are real telemark forums elsewhere? Or sub-forums? I dunno. Do you XC ski? This place seems like a decent one to get info on that type of gear.

Johnny
Site Admin

Post by Johnny » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:41 am

John_XCD wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:29 am
Can anyone ski like that in the modern era? There are a number of 80s/early 90s era videos but nothing in the last 30 yrs. I feel relatively good about my telemark skiing on nnnbc in powder/corn but this flying through the air, jump turns, moguls is wild.
Why not!?! This is what I do half of the time... (ok ok, I do not fly through the air...!) But every time I bring my Norpine gear to the resort instead of cartridges, cables, tech toes and Terminators, its ALWAYS a lot of fun! They are always my favorite ski days!

Why do you think I'm so excited about the XPLORE thing? 8-)

We don't see a lot of those "downhill skiers using cross-country gear" at the resorts anymore... But when we do, it's such a gorgeous sight!!!