How Do I Turn?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
tkarhu
Ski style: XCD | Nordic ice skating | XC | BC-XC
Favorite Skis: Gamme | Falketind Xplore | Atomic RC-10
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard | boots that fit

Re: How Do I Turn?

Post by tkarhu » Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:02 pm

Stephen wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:31 pm
I’m not talking Ludicrous Speed, it’s just that the skis wont turn without the necessary energy.
Might work against me that I’m relatively light for the 210s.
Weight vs ski length is a good point. I am 82 kg on 200 cm Gammes (80-95 kg Åsnes weight recommendation). With that combo, I can make large arc turns at slow speeds of 10 km/h or less. Maybe turnability is a point for the Åsnes ”soft” sizing guides?

C16C930B-12A5-40C7-99CF-38A7C3727169.jpeg

Last two sessions, 10-15 km/h has been enough to start doing parallel turns at tight spots (images). More precisely, they were wedge christies at the tight spots with uneven ground. A short wedge to turn the lead ski at turn initiation helped. In diagram below, teo peak runs are above photo slope runs (gray is altitude).

921EBBB5-4BDB-40D5-946F-20EA6DF55F85.jpeg

The parallels came by gut instinct, when I started to pay more attention to weighting and unweighting. I guess I had the unweighting in muscle memory from a few seasons alpine downhill as a kid.

By the way, as others say, tele shuffle (directly to fall line) is a great exercise, and also even when you can link turns already. It helps to get rear ski pressuring right. I did it today at a 5 degrees slope part before actual ”piste” started. Pressuring both rear foot ball of foot against ski and shins against boots helped to carve sharper turns (another photo).

A77C5186-B968-44ED-A3A5-6DBBC4DDF408.jpeg

When pressuring rear ski, you need to still keep the front ski edging trick I guess. Yet good rear ski technique makes turns better with Gamme too, as long as you do not forget the front ski things.

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:25 pm

@tkarhu, looks nice!
And good comments.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:30 pm

Nice hill ya got there. Great place to learn.

lowangle al
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:48 pm

Musk Ox wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:06 am
I don't know whether or not to start an individual thread for this, but anyway.

Does anyone have any concrete advice or experience about turning Gammes, specifically?

For context I can turn my Nansens borderline gracefully, if idiosyncratically, a couple of ways, but I'd be interested if anyone has any specific notes-to-self on consistently turning Gammes (or longer, stiffer and narrower skis generally)?

This is a very useful thread.
Generally, long stiff skis like that are going to be hard to carve across the fall line on packed snow. So the skier has to make the direction change with either a step turn or a jump turn. Other than that you can skid your unweighted skis into the new direction, but then it's hard to stop the skid. In other words you are going to need to pick your skis up off the snow to turn them. This is where I would start anyway.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:19 pm

@tkarhu i have a Gamme, it’s the ski I use the most. If I had your terrain I would most likely use my Falketind Xplore the most. I like to make turns, and I like to move along on the flats. The FT X does that. However, I would also point out a post by @Musk Ox in which he mentioned that his Nansen turned so much more cooperatively. To turn Gamme I require pretty much ideal conditions, I also utilize a bag of skills including rotation, utilizing the rocker, a willingness to commit combined with an understanding when commitment will not smack me in the nose.
I really like my Gamme, but my FT X would be the shiznit in your terrain. If I wanted to stay truer to traditional XC then the Nansen.
There is a reason why a tradesman acquires a large tool box. I think that 3 skis could be a big toolbox for the backcountry skier

Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Post by Musk Ox » Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:22 am

lowangle al wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:48 pm
Generally, long stiff skis like that are going to be hard to carve across the fall line on packed snow. So the skier has to make the direction change with either a step turn or a jump turn. Other than that you can skid your unweighted skis into the new direction, but then it's hard to stop the skid. In other words you are going to need to pick your skis up off the snow to turn them. This is where I would start anyway.
This is exactly what I do, Al (I made a longer post where I described my usual go-to methods of scrubbing off speed and edited it out!) With the Gammes I invariably start with a very aggressive stem and just bodily pick up and plonk down the inside ski to force a skid, which is extremely gratifying and super fun when it works but not massively elegant and kind of uselessly uncontrolled on harder snow. I honestly don't mind falling too much, it is sort of my superpower, but this restricts me to better conditions and nicer, deeper snow on the Gammes. And 'arcing' it ain't.

I guess what I'm after is some magic combination of pressure points to let me elegantly arc like a 1980s Norwegian home movie.

I’m not sure I quite understand @fisheater's notion of 'using the rocker' exactly. :)

Again this is a great thread and thanks @Stephen for your super useful response!

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:31 pm

Musk Ox wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:22 am
lowangle al wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:48 pm
This is exactly what I do, Al (I made a longer post where I described my usual go-to methods of scrubbing off speed and edited it out!) With the Gammes I invariably start with a very aggressive stem and just bodily pick up and plonk down the inside ski to force a skid, which is extremely gratifying and super fun when it works but not massively elegant and kind of uselessly uncontrolled on harder snow. I honestly don't mind falling too much, it is sort of my superpower, but this restricts me to better conditions and nicer, deeper snow on the Gammes. And 'arcing' it ain't.

I guess what I'm after is some magic combination of pressure points to let me elegantly arc like a 1980s Norwegian home movie.

I’m not sure I quite understand @fisheater's notion of 'using the rocker' exactly. :)

Again this is a great thread and thanks @Stephen for your super useful response!
Don't you have a better ski for practicing turns?

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:40 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:31 pm
@lowangle al, you could have just asked “Don’t you have ANY other skis?”
:lol:

I suppose there are worse, but Gamme seems like it is right up there.

Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Post by Musk Ox » Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:54 am

lowangle al wrote:

Well, my Nansens... I'm sort of asking for cheat codes for hills on the Gammes, I suppose. I don't take those skis out with hills in mind, but it would be nice to bend them to my will when it gets steep.

GrimSurfer
Ski style: Nordic Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Yes
Favorite boots: Uh huh

Post by GrimSurfer » Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:19 am

Musk Ox wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:54 am
lowangle al wrote:

Well, my Nansens... I'm sort of asking for cheat codes for hills on the Gammes, I suppose. I don't take those skis out with hills in mind, but it would be nice to bend them to my will when it gets steep.
There are folks who spend their retirement savings in search of the right ski. They swap stuff out so often that they never know, or master, that which their skis are capable. Gear whores and kooks.

Your skis are your skis, whatever they may be. If you spend enough time on them, you’ll be able to do pretty much anything to which you set your mind.
We dreamed of riding waves of air, water, snow, and energy for centuries. When the conditions were right, the things we needed to achieve this came into being. Every idea man has ever had up to that point about time and space were changed. And it keeps on changing whenever we dream. Bio mechanical jazz, man.