Cheap light tele set-up? Used skis suggestions.

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
エイダン.シダル

Cheap light tele set-up? Used skis suggestions.

Post by エイダン.シダル » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:08 pm

Love some input on used skis I should look out and search for. I'm an experienced alpine and Nordic skier, but rank newbie Telemark. Southern Ontario: no powder, lots of ice; short hills, narrow trails.

I've got Alico Snow March boots and Voile Cable Telemark bindings on old Kahru NATO surplus skis. I want to change the skis to something with more sidecut to shorten the learning curve, more oriented to turning than kick and glide. I've spent enough money lately (Gammes, and Fischer S Bound Outabound 88s), so used is best. 185lbs, 6'1.5".

Cheers.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: Cheap light tele set-up? Used skis suggestions.

Post by Woodserson » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:14 pm

Fischer Boundless is a good one if you can find it. I've got it in a 180 and it hits the sweet spot. Madshus Epoch would be another. Wax is the ticket here, skip the fishscales if you can. Rossignol Big Bangs are another pleasing ski, a little wider and will take some more effort so size short, 177. I see this for sale regularly. You can't really screw this up if you keep it under 76mm or so. Once I start getting into the mid 80s I'm either in my plastic boots and/or want some rocker, which is totally fine but the $ seems to be an issue. K2 had a good run with a lot of great contenders.

エイダン.シダル

Post by エイダン.シダル » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:55 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:14 pm
Fischer Boundless is a good one if you can find it. I've got it in a 180 and it hits the sweet spot. Madshus Epoch would be another. Wax is the ticket here, skip the fishscales if you can. Rossignol Big Bangs are another pleasing ski, a little wider and will take some more effort so size short, 177. I see this for sale regularly. You can't really screw this up if you keep it under 76mm or so. Once I start getting into the mid 80s I'm either in my plastic boots and/or want some rocker, which is totally fine but the $ seems to be an issue. K2 had a good run with a lot of great contenders.
Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for. I'm a grip-wax guy. I've already got the Fischer S Bounds for 'waxless' 'meadow skipping'.

John Dee

Post by John Dee » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:21 pm

エイダン.シダル

Post by エイダン.シダル » Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:06 pm

John Dee wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:21 pm
I don't know what these are:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304248003984?h ... SwMdFhqEou

Nor do I. Skis in Georgia? Where's the nearest reliable snow? Anyway, I'm stuck with skis new/used in Canada, unless I want to get hosed by our duties, or shipping.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:55 pm

@John Dee and Mr OP, according to Dave Mann that ski is a combination touring/turning ski. He called it a cirque class ski. To the OP, if you are up to crossing the border at either Windsor or Sarnia, I would be willing to help you.
Dave Mann called those Cirque Class skis, link below:
http://web.archive.org/web/201510021509 ... tml#CIRQUE

marco

Post by marco » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:43 pm

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-ski/hamilton/te ... ios_social

Did you see these? In Hamilton..they’re 170 though

エイダン.シダル

Post by エイダン.シダル » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:18 pm

marco wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:43 pm
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-ski/hamilton/te ... ios_social

Did you see these? In Hamilton..they’re 170 though
That's a find, for somebody ¾ my size.

エイダン.シダル

Post by エイダン.シダル » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:22 pm

fisheater wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:55 pm
@John Dee and Mr OP, according to Dave Mann that ski is a combination touring/turning ski. He called it a cirque class ski. To the OP, if you are up to crossing the border at either Windsor or Sarnia, I would be willing to help you.
Very kind of you, but I'm not sure I'll ever cross that border again. I've met no end of fine Americans, home and abroad, but even putting aside the colourful politics, each time dealing with the border has been worse than the last.

To shit on my own country, I don't know anybody who'd drive 8hrs return, just to go to Windsor. When you're in Toronto, you drive north to the Canadian Shield, or east to Montréal or skiing. Everything else is a flight.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:32 pm

エイダン.シダル wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:22 pm
fisheater wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:55 pm
Very kind of you, but I'm not sure I'll ever cross that border again. I've met no end of fine Americans, home and abroad, but even putting aside the colourful politics, each time dealing with the border has been worse than the last.
I feel the same about the Canadian border. It used to be easy and pleasant to cross the border.
I always enjoyed the Canadians I met, and the fine wares at the Brewers Retail.