Karhu XCD Supreme

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
marco

Karhu XCD Supreme

Post by marco » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:20 pm

Hi everyone!
Does anybody have any info about these skis?
Were they any good back in the day?
Were they xc or downhill oriented?
Heavy?

Couldn’t find much about them online..except they’re included in the old school teles category in pinnah’s website:
http://web.archive.org/web/201510021509 ... D%20SCHOOL

I’m tempted to buy them in 212cm as my first super cheap set of xcd skis (I actually bought what I thought would be the Asnes USGI skis but unfortunately received the Karhu surplus instead..I’ll give them a try though!).

I would like to use them for easy tours in Southern Ontario (easy mtb trails, provincial parks, conservation areas).
Oh..I’m 165lbs and 6’3”, would they be a bit too long??
Thank you!

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: Karhu XCD Supreme

Post by fisheater » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:46 pm

I spent a couple weeks looking for a cheap, used, E-99 last winter for a rock ski. I wanted performance, when conditions are marginal. I didn’t look for more than two weeks to find an E-99 that was shipped to me for if I remember correctly under $100.
Get a good ski, look for an E-99. The old ones are still good and you’re not guessing. I’m 5’9”, 190 lbs, I ski a 210.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:21 pm

They were a good ski. In their day, they were considered a tele ski, or for mountain/backcountry touring. Light in weight for their category, forgiving for turning. Single camber, but enough so that you could wax 'em. Had a pair myself. They'd probably be fine for the skiing you're describing.

Can't say for sure about the length, but I think you'll be fine on the 212's.

Pealer

Post by Pealer » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:49 pm

marco, in my day the Supreme was sold as a downhill tele ski. I skied them with Supercomps and pins at the ski area. But they're skinny enough, and if you go easy on the kick wax under foot, they'll be fine for what you're interested in. I still ski a similar ski (Kazama Outbacks) with double leathers for fun days in the backcountry.

marco

Post by marco » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:09 pm

Thank you guys!
It was a decent ski then, I think I’ll give them a try while I keep looking for a pair of old E-99 like @fisheater suggested