S-bound 98? Falketind62? Rab 68? Other Skis?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: S-bound 98? Falketind62? Rab 68? Other Skis?

Post by lowangle al » Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:08 pm

Why not through some kick wax on your R8s and ski them with your T2s for a starter and think about changing skis later.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:17 pm

Lighturn wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:45 am
Thank you very much for sharing your experience. This is very helpful! This underlines my suspicion that at least these Asnes skis are not the stiffest.

I hope someone can compare their stiffness to the sbound 98 or the Rossi BC 90 or the Madshus Epoch?
Even the first-gen FT62 is more torsionally-stable than the 3 skis you list above↑ All three of those skis will bend and twist all over the place if you were to really push them hard in true downhill skiing- especially on hard and/or icy snow.
Concerning the Nosi - I guess the 78 mm will rather hinder to get the required edge pressure in difficult conditions with leather boots? As I asked previously: How wide underfoot is too wide for Boots like Alfa Skaget ord Vista or Alpina XP on Rottefella XPlore in the discribed conditions?
Well- all three of those boots are traditional BC-XC Nordic Touring boots- they are not leather Telemark boots...
By all reports the boot-binding interface of the Xplore system is more rigid than either NN.3pin or NNNBC- so it should give one more responsive performance.

I still doubt very much that any of the boots you list are rigid enough to hold anything wider than 68mm on edge when skiing at speed on steep icy and/or hardpack conditions.

IMO- right now it would seem that the Xplore system is aimed at the same skiing and terrain that skiers traditionally use BC-XC 3pin or NNNBC. We have yet to see a boot that would breach the "Telemark" class in terms of support, stiffness and leverage...Even the Alfa Free boot doesn't appear to be more than an extra supportive XC boot...

Asnes' pro Crister specifically mentioned greatly enjoying the Asnes Nosi 76 with the Xplore binding- but I didn't get the impression that he was skiing any extreme terrain or snow with that setup...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Lighturn

Post by Lighturn » Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:51 pm

@ lowangle al
This is my resort ski - you would not want to take that into the woods, weightwise.... sidecutwise widthwise... and this is the newer model. Mine has 68 under foot.... length is 128 cm, Radius 8 meter, an extreme carving ski.

https://shop.rtc-ski.ch/p/rtc-128-carve-ohne

@ Lilcliffy

Thanks for your input!

To summarize: The Falketind would be the "best" of the unsuitable four skis for my purpose - because of its superior torsional stiffness. The actual model might even be better.

Is that correct? Just to get it right, because I am not english speaking.

(AND it has even less width under foot - which will offer even more edge grip.)

As I thought: NO wider skis for the intended boots than 68 mm.

Plus: I am not the only one to watch out for a more supportive Teleboot for the XP ;)

My thought about wide skis:
Nosi and other wide skis: In ideal conditions ANY wide ski is more enjoyable to downhill than ANY skinny ski - for sure. But I hardly ever have ideal conditions. I know them from Videos mainly. I don't care - I climb 6 hours and I go down in 45 minutes. You can imagine what I would like to enjoy more up- or downhill. 8-)
lilcliffy wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:17 pm

Well- all three of those boots are traditional BC-XC Nordic Touring boots- they are not leather Telemark boots...
By all reports the boot-binding interface of the Xplore system is more rigid than either NN.3pin or NNNBC- so it should give one more responsive performance.

I still doubt very much that any of the boots you list are rigid enough to hold anything wider than 68mm on edge when skiing at speed on steep icy and/or hardpack conditions.

IMO- right now it would seem that the Xplore system is aimed at the same skiing and terrain that skiers traditionally use BC-XC 3pin or NNNBC. We have yet to see a boot that would breach the "Telemark" class in terms of support, stiffness and leverage...Even the Alfa Free boot doesn't appear to be more than an extra supportive XC boot...

Asnes' pro Crister specifically mentioned greatly enjoying the Asnes Nosi 76 with the Xplore binding- but I didn't get the impression that he was skiing any extreme terrain or snow with that setup...
Last edited by Lighturn on Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KnoxPolk
Ski style: XCD
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Rabb 68

Post by KnoxPolk » Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:00 pm

@Lighturn I own pair of new Rabbs, in this new model they add reinforced carbon for extra stiffness so they should be much stiffer than old version but I don’t own a pair of old ones to compare. I didn’t test them yet as I am waiting for the Xplore binding and Alfa Vista Advanced boots. I will let you know how this setup handles on the downhill, probably next week if they arrive on time :)

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:54 pm

I own an S-112, and a FT-62 of original vintage and I also have received a new FT Xplore at 196 cm.
What Lilcliffy stayed about the torsional rigidly of the FT is 100 percent true. I would much rather crank black diamond turns on a firm base than the S-112. However the S-112 is stiffer longitudinally. The S-112 doesn’t get kicked around as much in mank and frozen kibbles and bits. Jyw5 skis alpine terrain. That snow is always exposed, lots of sun and wind exposure, so not good for a light ski that gets kicked around.
The flex on the original FT was soft. It wasn’t good for touring in much deeper than 8” of fluff, because it would bow too much and not offer good support.
The new FT Xplore is significantly stiffer. I am very encouraged, but the snow will let me know. I will not have a report on the ski for quite a while.
The thing I have is a real Telemark leather boot. When it can be challenging I have an Alico Ski March boot. I have my doubts that what I have with an Alaska, and a Ski March, with 75 mm can be beat in what is available in boots currently with the Explore system. At least as far as downhill potential. Touring would go to the Explore, but a 75 mm Alaska tours pretty good.

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:46 pm

S112 is not good on icy slopes. I keep the kick skins on when skiing down.

FT62 (2019 version) is even less stable on those conditions.

None of the skis with leather boots work on icy slopes of 30 degrees. I can get down, but its not fun and I kick turn, wedge, or slide down perpendicular to the fall line.

The Nansen/Skog does better than S112 and FT62 on these icy slopes. I haven't tried my new Otto Sverdrup yet in difficult conditions...I think they will be even better but still not great.

I am sure people with better skills can do it. I have tried for 5 years without success. Here's video of a very crusty slope in September. It is fairly steep...I have included a photo from summer to show how steep it is as the video makes it look flat. There is alot more snow in September...the area I am skiing is left of the tall spire/peak.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=527&p=33268&sid=7ee ... f09#p33268
FB_IMG_1639021483162.jpg

Lighturn

Post by Lighturn » Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:58 pm

fisheater wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:54 pm
The new FT Xplore is significantly stiffer. I am very encouraged, but the snow will let me know. I will not have a report on the ski for quite a while.
Thanks, keep us tuned!

Lighturn

Post by Lighturn » Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:04 pm

A nice north(?)face! And yes, its steep, thats what I have in mind for the bottlneck situations I encounter frequently.

And this is the good news:
jyw5 wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:46 pm
None of the skis with leather boots work on icy slopes of 30 degrees. I can get down, but its not fun and I kick turn, wedge, or slide down perpendicular to the fall line.
As you get down in your "style" then your safely reach the trailhead - thats what counts at the end of the day.

Besides stiffness, turning radius is a key. Short radius means shot time vertical means low speed means more control.

What kind of bindings do you have? 75 mm? Whats your weight?

Kind regards!

Lighturn

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:26 am

Lighturn wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:04 pm
A nice north(?)face! And yes, its steep, thats what I have in mind for the bottlneck situations I encounter frequently.

And this is the good news:
jyw5 wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:46 pm
As you get down in your "style" then your safely reach the trailhead - thats what counts at the end of the day.

Besides stiffness, turning radius is a key. Short radius means shot time vertical means low speed means more control.

What kind of bindings do you have? 75 mm? Whats your weight?

Kind regards!

Lighturn
NNN BC. Alfa Quest Core boots. Weight is about 150lbs with all the gear.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:20 am

Check with the Madshus Panorama serie... These are different than the older version. I have the M62. Great, great ski, for my taste... Very different than the Eon. Flex them, you'll see... King Harald V of Norway just bought 50 pairs... (just kiddin').
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique