Ski deaths

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Ski deaths

Post by joeatomictoad » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:20 pm

Eldora Mountain had a couple fatalities these past 2 weeks. The news is always distasteful, and I always cringe.

Of course skiing is inherently risky, and there are going to be accidents / injuries / deaths / etc throughout the course of a ski season. This year is rather dry for much of the Colorado Rockies, and the resorts rely more heavily on man-made snow (East Coast powder), so icy conditions are more prevalent on the slopes.

I just wonder, is this a common trend? Less natural snow = more injuries???

Makes sense to me, but I don't know if the data or the anecdotes support it.

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Re: Ski deaths

Post by Montana St Alum » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:22 pm

It's possible. I don't know of any hard data, but most of the bad injuries in the Rockies seem to be avalanche related (natural snow, of course) and head injuries in ski areas - usually into mid-season. There was a recent death in Utah caused by a guy skiing through a snow gun, losing visual and hitting a snowbank, I think. (https://kslnewsradio.com/1960104/skier- ... -brighton/). That's the first I've seen of that out here. We used to ski through snow making out east all the time years ago. I assume that hasn't changed.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:13 am

Man made snow out west = congestion on the slopes due to limited terrain?

Once the guns start out east they go all day. Best skiing can be under the guns.

Montana St Alum

Post by Montana St Alum » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:59 am

I'm heading out for day 9 and it hasn't been crowded. But that could end since the storm we're getting is shutting down the golf courses and mountain bike trails! Also there's not much to get stoked about on man made out here; mostly people getting outside for some exercise. Once the snow starts piling up, tourists arrive and people's testosterone levels rise up off the charts! Most skier deaths out here are outside area boundaries. There's an occasional avy inbounds, but it's rare. I think Colorado gets 5 or 6 deaths per year from avalanches and here in Utah, 4 out of a group of 8 were killed last year in one. Every once in a while we have a fatality inbounds, but it seems really rare, early season. The other day I skied through a snowgun blast for the first time I can recall since my days at Hunter mountain 50+ years ago!

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:18 pm

Moved my comment to new Topic here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4477&sid=c9e36e0730 ... 198f831caa
Last edited by Stephen on Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Montana St Alum

Post by Montana St Alum » Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:53 pm

Stephen wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:18 pm
I have been having a growing sense of dread about avalanches.

Back in my 20s (before the telegraph) I remember hearing WOMPs all the time while skiing in the Rockies, and mostly just finding that “Interesting.”
I know I could have been killed multiple times, but was lucky.

Just started reading “Staying Alive in Avalanche Terrain.”
The author starts out by making a few points:
- Avalanche terrain is “safe” a high percentage of the time;
- We pass through dangerous areas often, without incident;
- Therefore, we start to think we must know something about staying safe.
He shares his early-in-life, come to Jesus moment where he found out first-hand how little he knew and how lucky he was to survive his ignorance.

He also points out that the majority of those who die in an avalanche are well educated males.

I know a lot of people here are sticking to low angle terrain, but even there it’s possible to be in or near avalanche terrain without realizing the risks. If one is in a terrain trap, and if 10’ or 15’ of slope above you breaks away, one can be buried.

For me, this is the moment I admit how little I know and do something about it:
- Reading the book;
- Signed up for AIARE Level 1 avalanche class (yes, it’s kind of expensive, but so is dying);
- Bought a Beacon (now need to learn how to use it like someone’s life depends on me using it skillfully).

If you ski where it can slide, encourage you to educate yourself.
No one who has died in an avalanche was planning on that…
The 4 people, in the group of 8 who died last year were in low angle terrain. The avalanche had been set off by people above them. Like the WWII vet said, "I don't mind the bullet with my name on it. It's the one addressed "to whom it may concern" that really worries me!"

I no longer bother. My sons both have Jetforce bags:
"Our revolutionary JetForce Technology is still rechargeable and travel-friendly, and features multiple deployments, with automatic deflation to create an air pocket, and has an automated self-diagnosis, but now the updated, lower-profile system is positioned lower, which improves the way the pack carries."

Nothing is a guarantee, but when you're in terrain like this (Alaska, Tordrillo range), stacking the deck helps!
almost there.jpg
I rode a slab at Bridger Bowl in the early 1970's for about 100 feet. It was inconsequential, but it got my attention. Back then I shrugged it off, but now I'm just not pushing it.

Krummholz
Ski style: Ski trails uphill, Bcuz every trail here is uphill
Favorite Skis: Fischer SB-98, Rossi Alpineer 86, Fischer Europa 99, Altai Hok, Asnes USGI
Favorite boots: Looked and looked, then found true love - Alaska 75s. TN 75 for DH
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4350&hilit=Transnordic&start=40#p49595

Post by Krummholz » Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:14 pm

Most resort deaths are Speed + Tree. Helmets seem to be inconsequential in the deaths. At the closest backcountry to me “Berthoud Pass”, most people who get in trouble are the newbies and a few experts who think their experience can overcome dangerous conditions. I don’t know that I don’t know and I know that I know, but I’ve been doing this for 30 years so I’m good. He who skis away lives to ski another day.

https://www.skyhinews.com/news/coroner- ... avalanche/

Your Womps might have been explosive avalanche control. There are CDOT warning signs for skiers in the backcountry that explosives used for avalanche control at any time.

https://www.skyhinews.com/news/berthoud ... g-highway/
Free Heeler - As in Free Spirit and Free Beer. No $700 pass! No plastic boots! And No Fkn Merlot!

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:05 pm

@Krummholz, those womps were the ones where you feel like you just dropped a few inches…
:shock:
Last edited by Stephen on Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

エイダン.シダル

Post by エイダン.シダル » Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:31 pm

Different sport, same idea: 'there are old climbers and there are bold climbers, but there are no old, bold climbers.'

zonca
Ski style: Classic xc/w scales, TTS Telemark
Favorite Skis: Moonlight Eagle
Favorite boots: TXP, F1Race, F1

Post by zonca » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:40 am

25+ years ago I was doing guided hut trips and had very high confidence in those guides who know the local terrain and are highly qualified by their association. I was out with an outfit that had several huts and the one in the next valley was hosting a group of 12 gear testers from a well established US brand. Most of the top guides from the hut operator were there too. Combined I guess there were 100s of years of experience in that group. One morning they were just heading out from the hut and got slammed. One person was injured enough to get flown out. Moral of that story is that random events can always happen and no amount of experience or prep makes for certainty in the mountains.

Slightly off topic- While not often deadly by far the greatest risk of injury in bounds is skier collisions.
I acknowledge that I live on the traditional territory of the Algonquin Nation