Fischer BCX Europa 109 Tour

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Bohemian
Ski style: AT, telemark, BC, XC, snowboard (alpine)

Post by Bohemian » Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:06 pm

( @ Admin : please move to another category if more appropriate.)

Dear experts!

Can anyone here tell me more about these skis which I recently bought 2nd hand?

261195584_967838527412278_6588102003749317752_n.jpg
Bit of a weird binding & boot choice for this ski: I guess the previous owner did not appreciate the XC genes of these skis? A bit weird to use an E109 in ski resorts or primarily for downhill?
To me it is an older E109 (similar to the 2015-ish crown version described in this forum?), so a backcountry XCD ski, or am I wrong and is it something else?
Can anybody tell which model year this could be?

My intention is to put 3-pin (maybe cable or hardwire) bindings on these skis and use them with my Alico Ski March leather boots for backcountry touring with a bit of downhill in between but mainly in rolling hills.
(for conditions when I don't want to waste my new S-bound 98, but they still haven't been delivered a month after my order...)
The plastic boots will see other use in steeper terrain on wider skis, likely with these Linken bindings.

Or did I buy a weird lemon and is the bag the only thing worth keeping? :lol:

Thanks!
Werner Munter: "What is the most dangerous group in the mountains? A group of avalanche experts! The avalanche doesn't know you're an expert" ;)

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: Fischer BCX Europa 109 Tour

Post by Woodserson » Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:29 pm

Bohemian wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:06 pm
( @ Admin : please move to another category if more appropriate.)

Dear experts!

Can anyone here tell me more about these skis which I recently bought 2nd hand?

261195584_967838527412278_6588102003749317752_n.jpg

Bit of a weird binding & boot choice for this ski: I guess the previous owner did not appreciate the XC genes of these skis? A bit weird to use an E109 in ski resorts or primarily for downhill?
To me it is an older E109 (similar to the 2015-ish crown version described in this forum?), so a backcountry XCD ski, or am I wrong and is it something else?
Can anybody tell which model year this could be?

My intention is to put 3-pin (maybe cable or hardwire) bindings on these skis and use them with my Alico Ski March leather boots for backcountry touring with a bit of downhill in between but mainly in rolling hills.
(for conditions when I don't want to waste my new S-bound 98, but they still haven't been delivered a month after my order...)
The plastic boots will see other use in steeper terrain on wider skis, likely with these Linken bindings.

Or did I buy a weird lemon and is the bag the only thing worth keeping? :lol:

Thanks!
Nice find. Overpowered with the binding and boot for its intended purpose, but not unworkable, especially this non-xtralite model. Where did you find? How long?

Nick BC
Ski style: Free heel Resort/Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Voile Vector BC,Trab Altavia and Hagan Ride 75
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX and T3

Post by Nick BC » Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:12 pm

I may be mistaken, but those look like Pitbull bindings not Linken. I recall they had problems in exploding with parts spraying everywhere :o

Bohemian

Post by Bohemian » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:43 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:29 pm
Nice find. Overpowered with the binding and boot for its intended purpose, but not unworkable, especially this non-xtralite model. Where did you find? How long?
Found them on eBay Kleinanzeigen: kind of German craig's list. Length is 175~178cm, will find out the exact length later as they are still located at my friend from Munich who picked them up for me. 50 EUR for the whole lot :P

Got another set of much older E(uropa)109 in 190cm waiting for me at a friend in Oslo, together with a freebie set of old Atomic ARC 180cm: some day they'll find their way South, by sailboat or by car via various sailing buddies and friends of :D
We'll see later what length E109 suits best for my 61kg featherweight.
For now I'm touring around our local hills on knackered Stoeckli Stormrider XL 164cm with Rottefella 412 bindings: very nice skis but not great for this mellow terrain except for the few fun downhill bits. Still better than plastic fishscale XC rubbish skis without steel edge and also better for this area than my Scot Aztec 2 allmountain skis with AT bindings.
Looking forward to trying out the E109s!
Meanwhile still waiting for the S-bound 98s I ordered a month ago...
Werner Munter: "What is the most dangerous group in the mountains? A group of avalanche experts! The avalanche doesn't know you're an expert" ;)

Bohemian

Post by Bohemian » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:51 pm

Nick BC wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:12 pm
I may be mistaken, but those look like Pitbull bindings not Linken. I recall they had problems in exploding with parts spraying everywhere :o
Thanks for the tip! Much appreciated!
Once I've picked them up I'll check what bindings they are really. If Pitbull I'll ditch them. If Linken I'll mount them on an old set of Rossignol Bandit for some playing around ski lifts. These E-109s will get 3-pin cable traverse or 3-pin hardwire bindings but I could also put the R'fella 412s from my good old Stoekli Stormriders on these. Or should I go for minimum weight and go for a simple 3-pin binding? Yes, it's another expense but these bindings last longer than the skis.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:02 pm

I don’t know about the Pitbull reputation, but that binding looks pretty tough to me. I’m not sure it it works smoothly, nor can I examine how the cables connect, but it looks like heavy duty construction.
Congratulations on the find!

Bohemian

Post by Bohemian » Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:32 am

Thanks!
Looking forward to try out the lot in whatever configuration. I can only pick them up on my way to family just before Xmas, we'll see when I can actually use them.

Any tips for finding out the model year of these skis? Does anyone have old pdf catalogues or own exactly the same skis?

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:36 am

Bohemian wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:32 am
Thanks!
Looking forward to try out the lot in whatever configuration. I can only pick them up on my way to family just before Xmas, we'll see when I can actually use them.

Any tips for finding out the model year of these skis? Does anyone have old pdf catalogues or own exactly the same skis?
Graphic wise, early 2000s

Tough finding old catalogues. I've tried and been unsuccessful. Sometimes looking at alpine graphics from ski reviews helps date the nordic stuff as there was a lot of cross-over graphics wise until more recently.

Bohemian

Post by Bohemian » Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:22 pm

Update: finally I got round to picking up the skis & boots.
Skis are 178cm ; profile 78-60-70.
Those bindings are actually Black Diamonds. Quite overkill for these E109s.
And the boots actually fit! Scarpa T2 looking only lightly used! So altogether I can't complain for 50 bux for the lot.
So, what to do? Try out this set as it is for now or straight away take off the bindings, plug the holes and mount my hardwire 3-pin bindings?
I could use the Black Diamond bindings on a set of Rossignol Bandit allmountain skis for resort skiing.

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:41 pm

Bohemian wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:22 pm
So, what to do? Try out this set as it is for now or straight away take off the bindings, plug the holes and mount my hardwire 3-pin bindings?
I could use the Black Diamond bindings on a set of Rossignol Bandit allmountain skis for resort skiing.
3-pin hardwires are overkill for these skis too. unless you take the hardwires off and just use the 3-pins...