All hail the fake-a-mark!

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Baaahb
Ski style: free heel, touring to turning
Favorite Skis: Boundless, Rossy BC-125, Voile Vector, BD Converts......
Favorite boots: Alpinas, Excursions, T-1's

All hail the fake-a-mark!

Post by Baaahb » Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:42 pm

Life is defined by a string of low stance tele turns step-dancing down a steep powder slope. But at the end of the day the mountain is skied off, all that's left is crud, wind-blasted groomers and a pair of legs that cannot take it anymore. You're spent, you just want to make it back to the bottom without pulling a muscle or breaking something. What turn do you use?
Yada yada yada everyone sings the praises of the alpine turn, the p-turn, the fixed heel turn...easy enough to do p-turns on free heel, at least weighting the back of your skis. (I have never been able to put all my weight on the front of my skis with free heel bindings...though I have tried!) But is there a better option? Can it be even easier?
Maybe the type of turns one mocks as being beginner mistakes actually make the most sense here. The fake-a-mark, executed by initiating the turn with the outside ski but letting it quickly slip back into p-turn configuration as soon as the edges engage, can be easier to execute than a standard p-turn, at least in choppy snow at slower speeds.
Another option is the reversamark, basically a lazy p-turn, letting the outside ski slip even further back so the heel lifts.
No good reason not to keep them in your quiver of possible skiing styles.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: All hail the fake-a-mark!

Post by lowangle al » Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:37 am

Welcome back Baaahb I hope all is well.

There are times when you want to heavily weight the lead ski that wouldn't be considered a fakeamark in my book. I don't see any reason why you can't combine a P turn and a T turn with good results, as long as it works for you.

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:11 am

Baaahb wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:42 pm
You're spent, you just want to make it back to the bottom without pulling a muscle or breaking something. What turn do you use?
In the case of that last run at the resort, I just make lazy alpine style turns in the flats. If you are on the Rottefella Freedom binding, the heel is just a little lower than the toe, so weight distribution for this kind of turn is pretty easy, as in there's no need to have excessive weight on your heels. I'm now on the Meidjo and the foot is level on that, but spring engagement is fast, so weight on the balls of the foot is comfortable for an alpine turn. I'd guess this is an advantage that most NTN setups have. No rocker launch.

If you are making that last run on a three pin set up in chopped up backcountry conditions, well, may God have mercy on your soul! And your thighs.

But I think the bottom line is that sometimes, if you're not cheating, you're not trying, so whatever works best for you is the right answer.

joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Post by joeatomictoad » Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:49 pm

For my tele beginnings, I had heard of the fake-a-mark, but had never seen it... soooo, I was probably the one doing it.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:35 am

Old Dickie Hall would say: «even an absence of technique (like gorilla turns) is... technique». It is all technique; sometimes, it is not as efficient though... If Fake-a-M works in certain situations, then it is a technique worth considering... I have a friend that comes from alpine bground; he does that (F-a-M) all the time... He is having fun...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

lowangle al
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:09 am

I don't think Baaahb is talking about true fakeamarking. He's just initiating the turn with a heavily weighted lead ski and then going into a P turn to save his legs.

I think what Dickie also said about fakeamarking was that it'll "melt your gortex."

joeatomictoad

Post by joeatomictoad » Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:50 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:09 am
I think what Dickie also said about fakeamarking was that it'll "melt your gortex."
I was worried that it'd make me go blind.

Baaahb
Ski style: free heel, touring to turning
Favorite Skis: Boundless, Rossy BC-125, Voile Vector, BD Converts......
Favorite boots: Alpinas, Excursions, T-1's

Post by Baaahb » Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:20 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:09 am
I don't think Baaahb is talking about true fakeamarking. He's just initiating the turn with a heavily weighted lead ski and then going into a P turn to save his legs.
??? what's your definition of F-A-M?

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:47 pm

FAke a mark is when you are not centered and are putting too much weight on the lead ski. What you described sounded more like you were initiating the turn with a heavily weighted lead ski and falling back to the telemark position. If you are pretty well centered it’s not necessarily a fakeamark. If you’re not centered it could be a FAM.

I used to heavily weight the lead ski to initiate turns. It was fun but hurt my knees.

joeatomictoad

Post by joeatomictoad » Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:59 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:47 pm
FAke a mark is when you are not centered and are putting too much weight on the lead ski.
No objections to this.

F-A-M that stands out to me is when that uphill-trailing ski is just dangling back there, hitching a free ride, and not doing any work. To me, tiptoe rear foot may not aways be F-A-M, but F-A-M usually has tiptoe rear foot.

The "fakeness" is that the body is in genuflection, but it's just not tele.

IMHO... snow, gravity, acceleration, fun, smiles... this the important stuff. As snooty as my F-A-M standards must sound above, my spirit for tele is not about being being perfect or meeting a standard... I'll give respect for anyone making descent on tele. It's challenging. Beginners get respect for persevering through the tough times. Seasoned skiers get respect for honing the craft.