One ski to rule them all! A one ski quiver for all disciplines

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
mikael.oh

One ski to rule them all! A one ski quiver for all disciplines

Post by mikael.oh » Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:51 am

That´s the humble goal I¨m claiming to have achieved. Or aiming to achieve. Or am achieving. Life and time is relative.

Anyway, I already wrote a bit about this setup in the "Some of you said Gammes don¨t turn" thread but advances in vision happened and changes were made and this crystallized into a whole new, bigger thing that deserves its own thread.

Something like this:

- I¨m going skiing.
- Cool! Classic? Or skating? Or downhill? Or telemark? Or ski touring? Or crossing Greenland?
- Yes.

All with the same setup.

I¨m 187cm tall/6ft2 and weigh probably around 72kg/158 pounds.

Åsnes Gamme in 190 with BC Magnum bindings
Big burly Fischer BCX Transnordic boots that feel like alpine ski boots when laced up tight.
Swix Mountain Explorer adjustable carbon poles.(most recent addition) These adjust from 130 to 165cm in length and take me all the way from bootpacking up a steep slope, to downhill skiing, to kick and glide, to classic, to skating.

With this base setup I can do it all. All ski disciplines. No more specifying, or having to think about what to bring. Just "I¨m going skiing." I¨m going to move across snow.
"Strap a couple 2x4s to your feet and slide down a mountain. How much fun is that!" Hoping someone will get the reference :)

For classic and kick and glide I use 30mm mohair short skins that are shortened a bit. I fit in the tracks and with good technique(better than I have now) I can use them as classic skis with an active style. The glide is pretty decent as long as I keep my weight on the heels when going downhill.

For steeper stuff I have the older version of the 45mm nylon short skins. These are 70cm long, so 5cm longer than the x-skin version.

With the poles at 165cm I can also skate the Gammes really well and this will be valuable on long, reasonably firm approaches, as skating is so much faster. Skating I¨m good at. Haven¨t done classic since I was 10 years old so that needs more practice.

The Gammes are also my resort skis now. I took this setup to Norefjell yesterday which is a resort pretty close to Oslo that has roughly 3300 feet of elevation drop. I had to find my way around and used quite a bit of time in queues and on transport paths between sections but still skied 22 runs and 16000 feet of elevation in 4 and a half hours.
This was on man made snow with quite a lot of icy bits as well so far from perfect but I never felt out of control. Did alpine turns only as I don¨t know how to telemark yet but this setup works superbly well as an alpine ski setup.

I bought this setup, which was my first foray into NNN BC in very late spring, early summer, so have less than 10 ski days on it. As mentioned I don¨t know how to telemark yet but I did manage to make some enjoyable telemark turns when I found fresh powder on one of my first ski tours with them last spring. That felt really good so when we finally get some proper snow this winter I¨m going to explore that further. In the meanwhile, alpine turns work perfectly and I have SO much control thanks to the Fischer boots.

Thoughts?

Of course this isn¨t as good as specialized gear in any of the single disciplines but I still find it absolutely astonishing that I now have one setup that can do it all. Looking forward to some pretty special trips this winter that will test all the capabilities.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: One ski to rule them all! A one ski quiver for all disciplines

Post by fisheater » Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:06 am

I’m glad you’re happy with your new setup. @greatgt has been telling us all we need is an E-99 for years.
I would encourage you to learn to use kick wax. Especially once you get a few degrees below freezing and are into the range of Swix Blue Extra and colder temperatures. It’s easy and so much better than skins.
Regardless, I’m glad you found a way to have fun sliding on snow. Sliding on snow has been just fun for me since I have been able to run and slide!

mikael.oh

Post by mikael.oh » Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:28 am

I suspect that kick wax is better in many circumstances yes but I really don¨t want to faff around with it. I¨d also lose some flexibility since I wouldn¨t be able to change between skating and kick and glide on the fly as easily and quickly as I can with skins.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:35 am

Oh, yeah... you will buy a one ski quiver... but then you'll start reading the forum... and start to ask yourself: «Hum is that Otto Blumshieldzen FT62 would make me a better turner? How about that Wesnyess Grand Galopsky in 205 cm? I bet it could be the ticket for touring...etc». Ask me how I know... BTW, there is noting wrong with that. Just sayin' it is too late; when a guy starts asking questions like this on a forum, almost his whole arm is already caught in the ski machine sprocket... :lol:
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:51 am

mikael.oh wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:28 am
I suspect that kick wax is better in many circumstances yes but I really don¨t want to faff around with it. I¨d also lose some flexibility since I wouldn¨t be able to change between skating and kick and glide on the fly as easily and quickly as I can with skins.
Kick wax glides, if you want to skate start skating. It actually makes for more seamless transitions.

mikael.oh

Post by mikael.oh » Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:56 am

Nope, not going to happen.
Not saying I¨m gonna choose this over my skate skis for dedicated skate sessions, but I¨m not gonna diversify into multiple BC skis, because there¨s no need. This setup can do everything.

It¨s about simplicity. Going on a-b trips and having a setup that just deals with everything you come across. Not having to plan in advance. Not being bound down by multiple sets of gear. Just taking the train or bus somewhere new and skiing for a day, a weekend, or a week. Traveling on snow, and being ready for anything.

I¨ve done all the extreme stuff. Skiing powder at 100km/h, rappelling into steep couloirs in a whiteout, doing this, doing that. I barely made it out alive, and most of my friends died, one after the other. So I stopped skiiing altogether. Now I¨m making a comeback, but in a much simpler. purer form.

fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Post by fgd135 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:49 am

Oh, you'll be fine with just one pair of skis, skiers have been doing that for generations. Just go ski. It will all work. You may find that you might want to tweak your ski selection later on, after a couple of good busy seasons on snow, but will have a much better idea of what to do after that point.
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

mikael.oh

Post by mikael.oh » Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:57 am

fisheater wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:51 am
mikael.oh wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:28 am
Kick wax glides, if you want to skate start skating. It actually makes for more seamless transitions.

Like I said, I really don't want to faff around with wax. That's part of why I skate instead of doing classic.

This could be a likely scenario with the Gammes: Maybe I start off on groomed tracks. In one place where I want to explore it starts off with a 10km apporach on groomed tracks. Then I'll skate that. Maybe it gets softer at some point and then I'll switch to the 30mm skins and kick and glide. Maybe I reach a firmer area again and can skate so I switch back. Then I approach a peak and put on either the 30mm akins or 45mm skins depending on terrain and conditions. I reach the summit and have maybe 3000 feet of downhill to look forward to with nothing slowing me down. Once I get further down it might be good to put on the 30mm skins for a while again, and then in the end I'll skate again.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:53 pm

This is very, very cool.

Some questions:

At your height and weight- why 190cm Gamme 54?

Have you tested this setup in breakable crust?

Have you tested this setup in truly deep soft snow?

Why are you avoiding grip wax when skating?

Regardless- the "one ski to rule them all" for me would also probably be the Gamme 54- but it would be in longishe length- as I really have no need or actual desire to ski at a groomed downhill resort. I would gladly give that up for a ski that was better touring in crust, crud and deep snow.

And- last but not least-
despite how cool this all is-

Why do you want only one ski for all skiing contexts?
Gareth
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:47 pm

Looks like I need the Gamme. Once Asnes changes/improves the graphics, I will buy it.

It is really starting to look like I need a few more... Gamme, Ingstad, Nosi, Fjoro.

Life's too short for 1 ski. Why in the world would you want 1 ski???