Yet another newbie "what skis should I buy" question

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Ira

Re: Yet another newbie "what skis should I buy" question

Post by Ira » Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:52 am

I'm not an expert on skis, but wanted to share, since you mentioned driving 3 hours each way to try on Alpina Alaska's, that I also live hours from an REI or other stores, and found REI's online-order-ship-to-home works well for me (though with occasional weather-related delays during storms), and their 1-year-return policy makes online orders lower risk. I'm actually at-risk if exposed to Covid so haven't entered a store in years, but the online works really well with them!

They have a bunch of Asnes skis available online right now, and various versions of Alpina Alaska's online.

I also talked to the closest REI store to me (over 2 hours away) and they have almost no metal-edged touring skis in stock, so it sounds like the selection online is a lot more than in a store.

Also, wanted to share that the Alpina Alaska's are narrower than other boots I have tried (I wear a 39 for Fischer BCX 675, and all my other footwear, but am a 40 in Alpina Alaska). Those tend to run long but narrow (so I have extra length room). So if you have wider feet and if you're in between 40 and 41 I'd recommend 41.

Happy skiing!

mca80
Ski style: Over the river and through the woods
Favorite Skis: Nansen, Finnmark, Kongsvold, Combat NATO, Fischer Superlite, RCS
Favorite boots: Crispi Bre, Hook, Alpina 1600, Alico Ski March, Crispi Mountain

Post by mca80 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:08 am

@ptarmigan On, Wisconsin! Also, no ptarmigans here, just ruffed grouse. Thanks for input. I started weighing myself first thing in the morning now, just for interest, and turns out my weight can vary up to 4 lbs per day. I still don't think 190s will be an issue once my skill increases--139 + 4.5 for clothes, keys, wallet + 4 for Alaska boots is 147.5 or 67kg. And if I go for more than 90 minutes, which is most of the time, I will have a 20L pack at least containing water for dog and I--and I use stanley thermos if cold, no reservoirs for me, so extra weight and total 70kg.

@ira rei only has alaskas in 75 not nnnbc otherwise I would order. I read a thread on boot sizing and lilcliffy and others implied Alpina was wider than most.

Some winter pics at Sylvania attached. Katherine Lake, Clark Lake, and my broken trails with rossis on relatively thin snow (hiking trail hugging east end of lake had much less snow than a couple hundred yards away--anyone know why that would be? Sun? Wind?)
20211103_105917.jpg
20211229_131844.jpg
20211229_132231.jpg

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:47 am

@mca80 Alpina Alaska are not a wide boot. My understanding is that people with wide feet do fit into Alaska, it isn’t a wide boot.
Alfa are widely reported to be wide high volume boots. The Alaska 75 and Alaska BC fit exactly the same, I have both. If you can try one version on and it fits, you could safely order the other version.

mca80

Post by mca80 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:26 am

fisheater wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:47 am
@mca80 Alpina Alaska are not a wide boot. My understanding is that people with wide feet do fit into Alaska, it isn’t a wide boot.
Alfa are widely reported to be wide high volume boots. The Alaska 75 and Alaska BC fit exactly the same, I have both. If you can try one version on and it fits, you could safely order the other version.
Found another shop that's closer and very very knowledgeable. They have Alpina 1600 in my size, as well as Rossi 10s and possibly Fischers but I want to stick with a leather if possible. 75mm would have opened more possibilities, if willing to order online from Europe or 30 years old off ebay. So at least Sunday when the high of the day is 2F I can skip skiing (cold for the dog at those temps) and go try on some boots with only a 90 min drive vs 3 hrs. Shop also has a variety of Fischer skis in my size--no 78s, but 88s. Might be good at end of season to pick up to have a good waxless for early next year.

エイダン.シダル

Post by エイダン.シダル » Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:59 pm

Can confirm the Alaskas are a narrow boot. I have a narrow foot and high arch, and they fit fantastic. North American boots are hopeless on my narrow feet, but Italian are great: Scarpa, Zamberlan, La Sportiva, etc. The Alaskas fit like these. Size 43 fit my narrow US 10 (UK 9, in Alico Snow March boots, and Blundstones).

As for Alpina: not Italian, but Slovenian. Close enough for my feet.

mca80

Post by mca80 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:47 pm

エイダン.シダル wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:59 pm
Can confirm the Alaskas are a narrow boot. I have a narrow foot and high arch, and they fit fantastic. North American boots are hopeless on my narrow feet, but Italian are great: Scarpa, Zamberlan, La Sportiva, etc. The Alaskas fit like these. Size 43 fit my narrow US 10 (UK 9, in Alico Snow March boots, and Blundstones).

Shoot. Well, I guess I go try on what I can, and get by with something till REI gets Alfas back in and I can drive 3 hours and try them on. Or switch to 75mm and order all the welted boots I can find on ebay till I find one that fits and resell the others haha. I actually still haven't pinpointed details about my foot even after trying all sorts of combinations of hiking boots and inserts over the years. I found that Danner Mountain Light 7.5 wide with a 3/4-length high-arch Birkenstock insert (original Birkenstock style insert akin to their sandals, in 40...I tried 41 in a slightly different style which was an improvement over all other inserts I tried but no match for the one I now use) has resulted in my most comfortable hiking boot yet. Short insert gives me plenty of volume in front and fills in the back and middle nicely while offering a lot of arch support, and the leather of the boot stretches width-wise a bit to form perfectly to foot on top of that insert. On a marginally-related note: Justin ropers/square toe cowboy boots have toe width and no volume but just never worked for me (perhaps with aforementioned insert they would, haven't tried). Luchesse, whatever last they use in the pair I have, which is fairlu narrow, fit perfectly after breaking in. Initially tight in forefoot (narrow), the leather formed to my foot making them look a little stretched and awkward in the toe area but feeling perfect and the arch support that comes on these traditional high-heel western boots also worked phenomenally. Granted I wore these two boots 75% in stirups but i did walk a bit once or twice in both over mountainous terrain (led the horse on shank looking for lost keys for an hour one time) and the Luchesse were best. Like the Danner (even in wide!) they tapered a lot in the toe but supple leather can stretch. So, can non-welted leather nnn bc boots stretch in the same way?
Last edited by mca80 on Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:17 pm

mca80 wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:47 pm
エイダン.シダル wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:59 pm

Shoot. Well, I guess I go try on what I can, and get by with something till REI gets Alfas back in and I can drive 3 hours and try them on. I actually still haven't pinpointed details about my foot size even after trying all sorts of hiking boots and a whole slew of inserts over the years. I did find that Danner Mountain Light 7.5 wide with a 3/4-length high-arch Birkenstock insert has resulted in my most comfortable hiking boot yet. Short insert gives me plenty of toe volume and fills in the back and middle nicely while offering adequate arch support, and the leather stretches width-wise a bit to form perfectly to foot on top of that insert.
The problem I had with Alfas was my narrow heel and the cavernous hole that the boot aspires to be. Don't hesitate to order as many boots as you need to and return what doesn't work. (Don't ski in them, duh). Definitely try the Alaskas, you may be surprised.

mca80

Post by mca80 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:30 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:17 pm
The problem I had with Alfas was my narrow heel and the cavernous hole that the boot aspires to be. Don't hesitate to order as many boots as you need to and return what doesn't work. (Don't ski in them, duh). Definitely try the Alaskas, you may be surprised.
I edited my post to include more info since your response. Have you tried different inserts in the Alfa that might add volume and tightness at the heel? Given how pleased I am with the Birkenstock insert in hiking boots, I am tempted to start trying it in ski boots. To add even more info, the other day I found my right heel slipping and rubbing in rossi sc-x-6, size 41, which is weird because I have been using them since I first started xc skiing last season and have never experienced this. Left is fine. Today I was able to ski out the door because there was enough cover on the road, went to forest road then briefly in wilderness area before heading home, covering about 10 miles total. Blister on my right heel.

Semi local shop has alpina 1600 in stock in 40 and 41, guy said they had been there several years. Not sure how they compare to Alaska but driving 90 min to try on 1600s will be way cheaper than ordering two sets Alaskas and returning one (or two); or driving three hours to try on the Alaskas. My foot sizing issues have existed since adolescence--I probably screwed my feet wearing unlaced Airwalk skate shoes for years--but were exacerbated by a 25 mile day hike in Asolos that werent properly broken in 12 years ago. Every since then I have had a pain in left forefoot unless I get the right arch support and struggled for years. Also related I had a German-made walking shoe with high arch and wide forefoot in 41 that was a dream for city streets. But a $300 walking shoe isn't on the agenda these days since I am never on pavement more than half a mile.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:56 pm

Nice photos mca, you ski in a beautiful spot.

エイダン.シダル

Post by エイダン.シダル » Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:58 pm

You cannot spend too much money on the health of your feet, eyes, or teeth.