Smiley plates revisited

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Re: Smiley plates revisited

Post by fgd135 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:35 am

I pulled out all my 3 pin boots, more than a couple pair, and some are very old, to check for damage after reading these posts. None have pin hole damage from incorrectly closing bindings on the wrong spot. Luck I suppose, but also I pay lots of attention to foot placement in the bindings before I close a bail on the boot. Every time I go skiing, before I leave the old hiihtomaja, I spray a little bit of silicone on the binding pin areas, and also on the underside of the boot toes...helps prevent icing, the biggest obstacle to proper 3-pin boot placement...and I completely agree that the ST is easier to use and is more secure than any Voile 3 pin, at least for me.
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

podzol

Post by podzol » Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:20 pm

I came across the thread looking for information about smiley plates.

I wonder if there is somewere on internet drawing of 75 mm NN.

Dimensions and locations.

Does anybody have an idea?

wabene
Ski style: Stiff kneed and wide eyed.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Fischer SB98, Mashus M50, M78, Pano M62
Favorite boots: Crispi Svartsen 75mm, Scarpa T4

Post by wabene » Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:45 pm

fgd135 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:35 am
I pulled out all my 3 pin boots, more than a couple pair, and some are very old, to check for damage after reading these posts. None have pin hole damage from incorrectly closing bindings on the wrong spot. Luck I suppose, but also I pay lots of attention to foot placement in the bindings before I close a bail on the boot. Every time I go skiing, before I leave the old hiihtomaja, I spray a little bit of silicone on the binding pin areas, and also on the underside of the boot toes...helps prevent icing, the biggest obstacle to proper 3-pin boot placement...and I completely agree that the ST is easier to use and is more secure than any Voile 3 pin, at least for me.
That is some good advice using some silicone before heading out. It would eliminate the odd squeak too I bet. Glad to be rid of that. On my Ski Marches with the welted sole it looks like the metal plates are mounted on top of the Vibram sole, thus in the middle of the sandwich. On my Svartsens the metal plate is embedded in the molded sole.

I've never used the Rotte ST's so I'm obviously no authority. When I click into any of my Voile's with the Svartsens the first click is easy, but with all the pressure my thumbs can bear I get the second click. It is so tight I worry I will break it. Don't know how it could be any tighter. Maybe I shouldn't press that hard?

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:09 pm

Smile Plates are back.
Freeheel Life has purchased somethingsomething and is making the BBD products again
https://www.freeheellife.com/collection ... lates-pair

Chisana
Ski style: Sliding on snow
Favorite Skis: EMS Woodies
Favorite boots: Merrell ultras

Post by Chisana » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:01 am

Wow, 30 bucks! Seems like a lot, but hell, guess I better order a couple pair.