Fischer

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Fischer

Post by randoskier » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:04 am

I contacted the product manager in Austria for Nordic Backcountry at Fischer and asked him if he wants to chime in on this bulletin board where there are many questions (and some rumors) about the Fischer offering this year, such as:

-Availability of models and lengths- particularly the Traverse 78, Excursion 88, and the S-Bounds

-The accuracy of their ski length recommendation based on skier's weight

-The rumored quality difference (if any) between their skis that were made pre-fire in the Ukraine and the present ones made in Czech.

I am waiting for a response from him and hope he will join this conversation and answer some questions and shoot down some rumors (or not). It would be nice to hear their perspective.

I will let you know when and if I get a response.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Re: Fischer

Post by Woodserson » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:27 am

I already know the answers to two of the above questions. I'm not expecting impartiality from a company rep.

I just received a pair of Fischer Power Twin Skins. 3rd pair. Two are made in Ukraine, 20/21 and 21/22 models. The third is made in Bulgaria and a 21/22 model. The one made in Bulgaria is a completely different ski. It does not match the other two skis at all, and does not match the specs listed in the 21/22 catalogue/workbook either, or what it even says on the actual ski. The dimensions are completely off-- it's a 5point sidecut ski as opposed to a 3point ski like the Power is. It's something else entirely, and being sold as a Power Twin Skin. The only difference on the graphics is the Bulgaria ski doesn't have the "Efficient Forward" tag on it-- which makes sense because the flex and camber is completely different-- it doesn't have it. So at least there's a shred of honesty there. I got bamboozled and now I have to go through the hassle of making a return and getting nipped on the return shipping.

Also, ship more Transnordic 66's and 82's to the North American market, please, thank you.

Also, please maintain the website so it shows all models, do not remove sold out models. And please add the dimensions back to the models on the website so we don't have to go searching for the workbook to figure out what exactly it is that we are purchasing.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:44 am

A lot of the weight-length recs also depend on local conditions. I've been thinking about this since you brought up your experience in northern Scandinavia vs. my experiences here in New England.

In New England we get persistent compacted wet-granular snow conditions that can last months and going short on the skis makes life miserable-- while the same ski on cold, dry snow, such as what is prevalent in Scandiland, glides just fine. These local conditions are as important as weight. For instance, Asnes is quite clear to size up or down depending on wether one is pulling a pulk, carrying a backpack, are in hillier terrain or deeper snow. But I can tell you, for sure, that sizing directly to the Recs of the S-Bound series in New England invites plodding along as opposed to striding. For me that's from hard, expensive, frustrating experience earned through purchasing/selling every model in the line-up, notably the 68-78-88-98 in multiple lengths.

This really came to the front the other day, when my wife, on the 185 E99 (smack in the middle of the rec chart for her weight) has had nothing but great grip and glide, and then when the snow dried out and it was 10degF she lost much grip and could just double-pole around. Her glide performance went up significantly while grip went down the drier colder snow. That was a light-bulb moment for me.

The Offtrack Crown is the best traction pattern out there. But that doesn't mean it doesn't have limitation on certain snow types (wet compacted granular in particular).

randoskier

Post by randoskier » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:40 am

Woodserson wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:27 am
I already know the answers to two of the above questions. I'm not expecting impartiality from a company rep.

I just received a pair of Fischer Power Twin Skins. 3rd pair. Two are made in Ukraine, 20/21 and 21/22 models. The third is made in Bulgaria and a 21/22 model. The one made in Bulgaria is a completely different ski. It does not match the other two skis at all, and does not match the specs listed in the 21/22 catalogue/workbook either, or what it even says on the actual ski. The dimensions are completely off-- it's a 5point sidecut ski as opposed to a 3point ski like the Power is. It's something else entirely, and being sold as a Power Twin Skin. The only difference on the graphics is the Bulgaria ski doesn't have the "Efficient Forward" tag on it-- which makes sense because the flex and camber is completely different-- it doesn't have it. So at least there's a shred of honesty there. I got bamboozled and now I have to go through the hassle of making a return and getting nipped on the return shipping.

Also, ship more Transnordic 66's and 82's to the North American market, please, thank you.

Also, please maintain the website so it shows all models, do not remove sold out models. And please add the dimensions back to the models on the website so we don't have to go searching for the workbook to figure out what exactly it is that we are purchasing.
The Fischer website is horrible, I searched and google pointed the Traverse 78 and their site- went to their site to see it and it was gone, vanished, not even a mention of it. They also will not let you see their sites made for other countries, even if you use a VPR. Their site is mainly marketing fluff and slogans, it looks like a circa 1977 Austrian alpine ski brochure (minus the blonde ladies). Don't get me wrong I like their skis but they need to overhaul their whole communications and on-line presence. They seem to be hiding behind it. Why not issue a statement about what is in the pipeline and when the dealers will have it? Explain why there are delays- many are understandable- the fire, covid, supply chain etc. But they are as silent as a stone. I PMed him on FB today and await a response. I previously emailed the site for info but it was never acknowledged or responded to. This guy:

corlay
Ski style: Woodland XC-BC tours
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme 54, Fischer Transnordic 66, Fischer Traverse 78; Madshus Birke Beiner, Peltonen METSA
Favorite boots: Crispi Norland Hook BC, Fischer BC Grand Tour

Post by corlay » Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:24 pm

I purchased a new TN66 205 and TR78 196 this past Fall.

I've measured my skiis with a good quality vernier caliper (sidecut dims) and tape measure (length):

Fischer TN66 dimensions:
205cm 66-54-61mm
My measurements:
203cm 67-54-61mm

Fischer TR78 dimensions:
196cm 78-61-69mm
My measurements:
194cm 79-58-70mm

randoskier

Post by randoskier » Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:32 pm

corlay wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:24 pm

I've measured my skiis with a good quality vernier caliper (sidecut dims) and tape measure (length):

Fischer TN66 dimensions:
205cm 66-54-61mm
My measurements:
203cm 67-54-61mm

Fischer TR78 dimensions:
196cm 78-61-69mm
My measurements:
194cm 79-58-70mm
COOL! They will turn much better with that side-cut and length! Slalom time!

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:44 pm

corlay wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:24 pm

Fischer TN66 dimensions:
205cm 66-54-61
My measurements:
203cm 67-54-61

Fischer TR78 dimensions:
196cm 78-61-69
My measurements:
194cm 79-58-70
Oh great data

My E99 205 is 203
My T78 (& Sbound78) 199s are 196
This has been unchanged for years.

So the 21/22 176/186/196 lengths are physically shorter than the older models, it's not a graphic change or update as @lilcliffy suggested.

Here's some caliper fun with the Fischer Power Twin Skins:
Ukraine Power: Stated: 51-46-48 Measured: 51-46-50
Bulgarian Power: Stated: 51-46-48 Measured: 51-53-50-52

(It's not a bad ski, it's just not what I ordered.)

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:05 pm

Our/my/her "199" 78 is 196cm- it is only wee tad longer than our 195 Eons.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

randoskier

Post by randoskier » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:03 am

Nordic Backcountry Product Manager at Fischer should get more skis to market.
Last edited by randoskier on Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

qcoughlin

Post by qcoughlin » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:39 am

Woodserson wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:44 am

In New England we get persistent compacted wet-granular snow conditions that can last months and going short on the skis makes life miserable-- while the same ski on cold, dry snow, such as what is prevalent in Scandiland, glides just fine. These local conditions are as important as weight.
I want to hop on this train quickly. I am also looking at some S-98's and am debating length as well. Since I'm a beginner with XCD I don't mind getting a cheaper setup and found some older Fischer Boundless Crowns nearby with 75 mm Voile bindings.

Assuming these fit basically the same as the S-98s, would you recommend going longer? I live in the Upper Valley of VT/NH so the snow conditions are the same as yours. My weight (180-185 lbs) is right on the cusp of the 179/189 cm line according to the Fischer website.