'skiing' frozen lake with no snow

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Re: 'skiing' frozen lake with no snow

Post by randoskier » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:08 pm

FourthCoast wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:49 pm
randoskier wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:28 pm
I would have liked to have seen how he got his skis off. No small feat (unless you have the Xplore!). [...]
I started watching the video and noticed he was on skis. I thought to myself, "Oh, cool! He will show us how to get the skis off without sinking". Then the video completely skipped that step.

I just added some leashes to my skis for resort skiing. I will be sure to take those OFF before I go out on the ice.
I would like to try to get my skis off in a heated( yes I am a wimp) pool with a lifeguard standing by.

FourthCoast
Ski style: 40-Year-Old Poser

Post by FourthCoast » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:46 pm

randoskier wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:08 pm
FourthCoast wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:49 pm
randoskier wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:28 pm
I would have liked to have seen how he got his skis off. No small feat (unless you have the Xplore!). [...]
I started watching the video and noticed he was on skis. I thought to myself, "Oh, cool! He will show us how to get the skis off without sinking". Then the video completely skipped that step.

I just added some leashes to my skis for resort skiing. I will be sure to take those OFF before I go out on the ice.
I would like to try to get my skis off in a heated( yes I am a wimp) pool with a lifeguard standing by.
You know... The pool at the resort we go to is about 4 foot deep, outside, and heated. I don't think the rules say, "No skis in the pool" anywhere.

randoskier

Post by randoskier » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:55 pm

[/quote]

You know... The pool at the resort we go to is about 4 foot deep, outside, and heated. I don't think the rules say, "No skis in the pool" anywhere.
[/quote]

Go for it! Green water-skiing.

randoskier

Post by randoskier » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:56 pm

randoskier wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:55 pm
[/quote]

Go for it! Green water-skiing. No Speedos!
[/quote]

mikael.oh

Post by mikael.oh » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:10 pm

I can´t believe no one´s said this already but what you do on ice is double pole. There´s almost no friction so you can double pole for hours, days, weeks, if you want. Even better, make a sail. Go out and glide.

エイダン.シダル

Post by エイダン.シダル » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:40 pm

FourthCoast wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:51 pm
I have ice skates and my daughter did some skating on the lake while we were there. The Nordic tour skates do look like fun -- but I am trying to use the gear I have, not buy more!
Well that's fair, but it's just bindings and skates for NNN BC, or Nordic skate boots, you already have, and won't need to be replaced... ever. It sure makes late snow easier to deal with: perfect ice!

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:43 am

I'm with the nordic skate crowd for clear ice with no snow or crust. 4" is plenty. It used to be 3" for single person but now most safety agencies have upped it to 4", probably because people can't calculate thickness. Like boiling water in the wilderness-- 3min at a roiling boil (low alts) will do it, but the safety signs are all: TWELVE MINUTES which is a waste of fuel at that point, but people don't know the difference between a simmer and a roiling boil, so calculate for the lowest denominator.

This guy is not on 4"... but 45mm-- 1.8 inches... you can see the ice sheet bending under his weight... but I'm not recommending this it's freaking me out:

I put down serious miles on my skis on crust covered lakes every winter. Great, fast skiing, and sometimes the only game in town.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:54 am

Niordic skates are SO MUCH FUN.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

FourthCoast
Ski style: 40-Year-Old Poser

Post by FourthCoast » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:33 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:54 am
Ok, ok, ok. I have some NNN-BC magnums that are mounted on inserts. If I re-use that binding what else do I still need to get going on Nordic skates? It seems like they come in different lengths.

I do like the idea of walking out on the ice and clipping into skates without taking my boots off.

エイダン.シダル

Post by エイダン.シダル » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:41 pm

FourthCoast wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:33 pm
lilcliffy wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:54 am
Ok, ok, ok. I have some NNN-BC magnums that are mounted on inserts. If I re-use that binding what else do I still need to get going on Nordic skates? It seems like they come in different lengths.

I do like the idea of walking out on the ice and clipping into skates without taking my boots off.
OK, time for me to fire you links that worked for me. Hang on.

Being able to stay in the same warm boots, when you have to walk around unsafe ice is gold! So is changing your boots inside a warm car. NB: don't try to drive in them!
Last edited by エイダン.シダル on Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.