Best tele ski for east coast resorts.

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Re: Best tele ski for east coast resorts.

Post by phoenix » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:15 pm

Stay with the same length. It'll feel just right (assuming same type of skiing, and conditions).

joeatomictoad
Ski style: Yes, please.
Favorite Skis: Nordica Enforcer 93; Icelantic Saba Pro 117; 22D HH & Vice
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Post by joeatomictoad » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:57 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:16 pm
The Elan Ripstick 88 is blowing my mind this year.
I was considering this ski a couple years back, but didn't know much about the asymmetrical design vs. telemark. Glad to hear it works well.

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:07 am

These guys love it too.

"...Ripstick maintains its light weight and fun-loving personality and brings them into this next season. We always talk about the ~88 mm underfoot range as being the most versatile for true all-mountain skiing, especially here in the east, and the Ripstick is no exception."

https://www.skiessentials.com/2021-ski- ... pstick-88/

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:28 am

joeatomictoad wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:57 pm
Woodserson wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:16 pm
The Elan Ripstick 88 is blowing my mind this year.
I was considering this ski a couple years back, but didn't know much about the asymmetrical design vs. telemark. Glad to hear it works well.
There was a time when ski makers made asymmetrical skis for telemark specifically. Scotty Bob and Igneous, to name at least two at the top of my mind.

joeatomictoad

Post by joeatomictoad » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:07 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:28 am
There was a time when ski makers made asymmetrical skis for telemark specifically. Scotty Bob and Igneous, to name at least two at the top of my mind.
Good call.

Guess I just don't wrap my head around it. On the lead foot, the uphill edge bites the snow better with inside edge of ski, which works fine for alpine. But if telemark stance is more balanced between the feet, then the back foot uphill edge is using more pressure on the outside edge of the ski, the one designed with a little more rocker, more surfy, less bitey.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, or maybe my thinking is misguided. I still don't understand it. Nevertheless... if you say it's good, then I believe it.

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:34 am

I think G3 went that route (asymmetric) as well. It may be like applying "cant" corrections to a boot. I tend to "feather" the angle on the rear ski a bit to fine tune turns, at least occasionally, so I expect it doesn't feel profoundly different after a few runs.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:41 am

joeatomictoad wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:07 pm

Good call.

Guess I just don't wrap my head around it. On the lead foot, the uphill edge bites the snow better with inside edge of ski, which works fine for alpine. But if telemark stance is more balanced between the feet, then the back foot uphill edge is using more pressure on the outside edge of the ski, the one designed with a little more rocker, more surfy, less bitey.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, or maybe my thinking is misguided. I still don't understand it. Nevertheless... if you say it's good, then I believe it.
I'm not totally convinced it's not total BS, to be honest. I understand your logic above, I also thought it was for the tighter radius turn on the inside ski, but I'm not sure about that. It's all just a bit fuzzy enough for me to definitely claim ignorance here. I just know some skis did it, there was a reason, I'm not sure if the reason is viable enough to worry about it or make proclamations that THIS SKI BEST because of it. Do I notice the shorter effective edge on the inside ski? Yes. Does it make a difference? Not sure.

Regardless of this Amphibio/Asymmetrical stuff-- the Ripstick is a legit ski and I'm loving it.

bornaginalpiner
Ski style: Fall alot
Favorite Skis: Soft flex.
Favorite boots: The ones that fit.

Post by bornaginalpiner » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:15 pm

phoenix wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:47 pm
A good deal of experience (around 20 years worth) with K2's as an Eastern all-mountain/resort ski. Piste Stinx, World's, Super Stinx, Shuksans, and recently Wayback 88's.
Each ski has felt comfortable and familiar from day one as I moved along the line. To keep it short and simple, I think you'd find the Shuksan's to be very sweet for the resort, and beyond the ropes. A tad slim and firm in deeper stuff, otherwise, I found them most excellent. I've only had a day or two on the Waybacks, but I like them quite a lot so far; they don't feel sluggish at all, keeping that K2 personality, but will have a bit more float if I find the snow.

Happy to answer any more specific questions if you have 'em.
Just ordered the Waybacks. Guess it came down to always being happy with the K2 brand and a little concern over getting a ski that's too stiff (Brahma 88). The Ripsticks and Rustlers made the decision tough and ended up going with what I know. One thing that tipped the scales is that I'm not interested in speed anymore, just short radius, being able to bust crud and at least modest hold on ice. Want to thank all of you for your help. Fyi, the Waybacks had my least favorite graphics, but I'm not cool anyhow. :)

Now all I have to do is add inserts and get skiing.

joeatomictoad

Post by joeatomictoad » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:27 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:41 am
...make proclamations that THIS SKI BEST because...
MY SKI IS BEST SKI BECAUSE........... bobtail
(With a bitchin' shape like these, who cares about functionality?)
bobtail.jpg

joeatomictoad

Post by joeatomictoad » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:33 pm

bornaginalpiner wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:15 pm
Now all I have to do is...get skiing.
Yes! Prioritize "drop a knee" over "type to me" every day of the week, and that goes double for the weekends. Have fun.