Best tele ski for east coast resorts.

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
bornaginalpiner
Ski style: Fall alot
Favorite Skis: Soft flex.
Favorite boots: The ones that fit.

Best tele ski for east coast resorts.

Post by bornaginalpiner » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:23 pm

I'm considering replacing my old Super Stinx with over 170 days use. Ive enjoyed these slim waisted skis immensely, however I have no idea what would be a current replacement that would perform like them. Most of the skis I see at the resort are 95mm or greater and can't understand how that fat a ski would be comparable. Searched the web over and over and with no luck. Any thoughts? Personal experience would help. I'm on NTN Bulldogs and Garmont Prophets

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Re: Best tele ski for east coast resorts.

Post by phoenix » Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:47 pm

A good deal of experience (around 20 years worth) with K2's as an Eastern all-mountain/resort ski. Piste Stinx, World's, Super Stinx, Shuksans, and recently Wayback 88's.
Each ski has felt comfortable and familiar from day one as I moved along the line. To keep it short and simple, I think you'd find the Shuksan's to be very sweet for the resort, and beyond the ropes. A tad slim and firm in deeper stuff, otherwise, I found them most excellent. I've only had a day or two on the Waybacks, but I like them quite a lot so far; they don't feel sluggish at all, keeping that K2 personality, but will have a bit more float if I find the snow.

Happy to answer any more specific questions if you have 'em.

bornaginalpiner

Post by bornaginalpiner » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:38 pm

phoenix wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:47 pm
A good deal of experience (around 20 years worth) with K2's as an Eastern all-mountain/resort ski. Piste Stinx, World's, Super Stinx, Shuksans, and recently Wayback 88's.
Each ski has felt comfortable and familiar from day one as I moved along the line. To keep it short and simple, I think you'd find the Shuksan's to be very sweet for the resort, and beyond the ropes. A tad slim and firm in deeper stuff, otherwise, I found them most excellent. I've only had a day or two on the Waybacks, but I like them quite a lot so far; they don't feel sluggish at all, keeping that K2 personality, but will have a bit more float if I find the snow.

Thanks, Phoenix. Just wondering what waist choice you are living with the Waybacks. Quite a choice from the quick search I ran.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:57 pm

Mine are 8mm at the waist. Mine are not the current model, but a previous version of the same ski. Pretty much the same frame as the older Work Stinx (also 88mm). Skied a few tears on the Work's before these, which, for me, hit the very sweet spot of being wide enough but not too wide, also they're over a pond lighter per pair, which I'd long thought would be just right. Still nimble, accurate, and forgiving at the same time, which I've always found with the K2's.About the same turning radius as the Super's, etc, which is also a part of the K2 feel that I like; very nice for long GS style turns, yet quick and responsive for short radius.

bornaginalpiner

Post by bornaginalpiner » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:14 pm

phoenix wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:57 pm

Thanks again. Phoenix. Been looking around and much easier to find the Waybacks in 88mm. Your experience with K2s is greatly appreciated.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:16 pm

The Elan Ripstick 88 is blowing my mind this year. 180cm.

Smooth round alpine flex, not sloppy but not a 4*4 inflexible deathski either. Slightly firmer than medium.
Wide shovel in proportion to the tail (25mm diff) for lots of good turn shapes.

Both attributes lend itself to a superior telemark ski.

Smooth precision and power under the hood

Skiing it with Vice at #3 and T2Ecos.

I've skied A LOT of skis over the past three years and this one is a keeper.

randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Post by randoskier » Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:37 pm

phoenix wrote:

I know Martin the guy who designed the Shuskan ski for k2 he is a Swiss UIAGM Mountain Guide from the Valais who lives in North Bend, near Seattle last I knew of him (2005). He is a randonee skier, dude can really ski and climb.

Montana St Alum
Ski style: Old dog, new school
Favorite Skis: Blizzard Rustler 9/10
Favorite boots: Tx Pro

Post by Montana St Alum » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:40 pm

I skied the World Piste and Work Stinx for a couple of years, years ago. I think they are great for getting into the sport, but with the gear you're using and your experience level, I think you'd get a lot more out of a modern ski. Technologies and designs have come a long way in a pretty short time.

And 170 days of resort skiing would be more than enough to break down wood fibers enough to notice. If I get 70 days out of a pair of skis - again, specific to resort skiing - I'm pretty happy.

I think anything between 80 to 90 underfoot and with an aggressive side cut - like 16m or less (My short carvers at 84 underfoot are a crazy 11.5m turn radius. It's enough to make my back sore from pulling G's on groomers) would be super fun!

My general-purpose ski right now, for Utah resort skiing is the Rustler 9. It's fairly stiff, but you could maybe use a ski that has a little more torsional rigidity for out east if grip on hard snow is a priority. But it would be close. It's 92mm underfoot in the 172 with a 15.5m turn radius. Mine are 164 and I use them on non-powder days for bumps and general carving duty. I did have them out on a couple of days in 6+" of somewhat heavy powder and didn't feel held back at all. But I'm a tight radius skier by nature. GS turns aren't their forte'.

Blister gear has a 21-22 buyer's guide that can be a good source of information because you can tailor your search to your own preferences. Look for something good on ice. And mount them boot center over the manufacturer's recommended mounting point for resort telemark skiing!

It really will optimize hard (and all) snow performance.

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:12 pm

I skied today in Vermont ( I was doing laps on skimo gear), but I descended on alpine trails. 10" of fresh snow, in fact prob the closest thing to a "Vermont powder day" that I can remember. my Backland UL65's had enough shape to turn, but I realized it would have been an epic day on my Summit Cone 106's. for what its worth, I ski the 106's on man-made hardback days in the east as well. I only have that one pair of NTN mounted tele skis, but they work great.

bornaginalpiner

Post by bornaginalpiner » Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:16 am

phoenix wrote:
It's been so long since I upgraded my resort ski that I was wondering if I should look for a longer ski to accommodate the wider waist. The Waybacks 88s are available in 174 and 181. My Stinx are 174 and 72 underfoot and have been a pleasure to ski. Maybe it doesn't matter, but thought I should ask. My BC skis are 183 but that's apples and oranges. Thanks again for your help.