Best setup for skiing old CO mining roads?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Where_The_Slime_Live

Best setup for skiing old CO mining roads?

Post by Where_The_Slime_Live » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:17 pm

Hey all,

Beginnerish skier here looking for the ideal setup for long tours on various mountain pass and mining roads in Colorado.

-Primary targets are windy, rolling, and sometimes steepish roads that are often heavily tracked by snowmobilers, skiers, and snowshoers in a variety of snow conditions.

-Secondary targets are at least decent performance in flat to low angle off trail terrain in various snow conditions, and at least decent performance in moderate amounts of fresh powder.

-Not looking for a jack of all trades ski. I'm planning on picking up an actual powder ski for those conditions eventually.

-Preferably something light enough to be driven with a NNN BC setup but could be persuaded into a tele binding. I do own a pair of Scarpa T4's that I use with a 3 pin cable binding on some Altai Hoks but I can only ski in those for a good 4 hours before my feet get real mad and there doesn't seem to be a lot of reliable options for more comfortable leather tele boots out there these days, and I really enjoy all day long trips in the mountains.

-Not looking for ultimate performance but would like something that I can grow into an intermediate level on. Intermediate price range would be nice too. A $500 pair of Asnes skis is just not where I'm at with my level of experience right now.

-I'm 6'0, 215lbs. I assume that I am going to want the longest available ski of any model.

Based off of the rabbit holes I've been down on this forum already I have my eyes on both the 2021 Madshus M62 waxless and the Fischer traverse 78, though it does appear that the latter has been discontinued and are mostly off the shelf at this point. In fact it seems that the vast majority of skis I have read about have been discontinued. I would rather have an option that I could order tomorrow than an option I would have to spend the rest of the season searching for a used model on.

Also if anyone has any NNN BC boot suggestions that would be ideal I'm all ears, the online reviews seem to be rather full of negative comments a lot of the time.

Appreciate y'all. Good forums are hard to find these days, but as far as I can tell you guys have some real quality here.

-Kody

riel
Ski style: BC XC
Favorite Skis: Asnes Gamme, Ingstad & Støretind, Fischer Mountain Cross & E99
Favorite boots: Fischer BCX675

Re: Best setup for skiing old CO mining roads?

Post by riel » Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:30 pm

Where_The_Slime_Live wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:17 pm
Based off of the rabbit holes I've been down on this forum already I have my eyes on both the 2021 Madshus M62 waxless and the Fischer traverse 78, though it does appear that the latter has been discontinued and are mostly off the shelf at this point.
I don't get the feeling that the Fischer Traverse 78 is discontinued, but I suspect it has just been sold out because they have not been able to make nearly enough of them after the Fischer factory fire. Given how quickly that ski sells out, I would be surprised if they stopped making it.

The Alpina Discovery 80 could be a good ski for what you want to do as well, and may be easier to find.

Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Post by Musk Ox » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:11 am

Where_The_Slime_Live wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:17 pm

-Kody
Hey @Where_The_Slime_Live and welcome, the award for best member name is already yours!

You want a pair of 400 cm gold-plated Åsnes Combat NATOs with customised Voile Switchback bindings (six wires per boot) dipped in a barrel of liquid Swix Polar and wrapped tip to tail in 45mm ionised purple mohair.

Failing that, those Madshus M62s are kind of sexy. You say you don't want a 'jack of all trades' so maybe even something skinnier and more propulsive for those flat bits? Even, dare I say it, something Transnordic 66-y?

Bavarian Cream
Ski style: XCD (aka survival): NNN-BC, 3-pin
Favorite Skis: Fischer Outtabounds Crown, S-bound 98 & 112; Madshus Annum; Altai Hok
Favorite boots: Leather; T2 or lighter
Website: https://youtube.com/channel/UCqcLpcwu0moS3QVQzAkMbTQ

Post by Bavarian Cream » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:20 pm

What area of Colorado are you in? I ski what you described, most often in Park, Chaffee, and Summit counties. I think either of the skis you mentioned could be good, but if you've set your heart on one ahead of time, odds are you'll fork over extra $ to get it new. The other option is to peruse secondhand stores (we have plenty of them here) where you can often find good deals if you keep your eyes open (Recycle Sports in Frisco; Sports Recycler in Salida; etc.). This could require a greater investment of time, but just keep an eye out for a ski that has metal edges, a little bit of side-cut, and a tip roughly greater than 70mm up to about 100mm, in the longest length you can find. For Colorado, with the brutal snow gradient between shaded slopes and sunny slopes, a waxless, patterned base might also be a good idea.

If you find a used ski that fits those criteria, you'll probably be just fine.
You can never have enough skis and boots.

SnickBreck
Ski style: Nordic BC, Touring, Skate
Favorite Skis: Hagan U65, Fischer RCS Skate, Black Pearl 88, Asnes Liv wax, Asnes Cecile wax
Favorite boots: Rossignol FW6, Scarpa Alien 1.0, Scarpa F1, Fischer Carbonlite

Post by SnickBreck » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:57 pm

Not sure where you are located but I saw a new pair of T78s at the Breckenridge Nordic Center this weekend. Didn't look closely to see what size. I know they've sold many of the ones they had this season.

Krummholz
Ski style: Ski trails uphill, Bcuz every trail here is uphill
Favorite Skis: Fischer SB-98, Rossi Alpineer 86, Fischer Europa 99, Altai Hok, Asnes USGI
Favorite boots: Looked and looked, then found true love - Alaska 75s. TN 75 for DH
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4350&hilit=Transnordic&start=40#p49595

Post by Krummholz » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:49 pm

I really like my E99, 200cm, 68/55/62 for long straights with gentle curves. It’s a mofo on narrow trails and don’t even go near switchbacks. I would look for any ski that’s close to those specs.

Added after some thought…

Just don’t get the Fisher Europa 99 Glass.
There is probably a reason they are screwed on the front of everybody’s garage up here.
Last edited by Krummholz on Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free Heeler - As in Free Spirit and Free Beer. No $700 pass! No plastic boots! And No Fkn Merlot!

randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Post by randoskier » Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:53 pm

Krummholz
Ski style: Ski trails uphill, Bcuz every trail here is uphill
Favorite Skis: Fischer SB-98, Rossi Alpineer 86, Fischer Europa 99, Altai Hok, Asnes USGI
Favorite boots: Looked and looked, then found true love - Alaska 75s. TN 75 for DH
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4350&hilit=Transnordic&start=40#p49595

Post by Krummholz » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:47 pm

randoskier wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:53 pm
Maybe Norwegian snowshoes?

https://www.unco.edu/hewit/doing-histor ... kiing.aspx
So a set of Altai Hoks and a Tiak?

Good for short distances and deep powder. I love bushwhacking in mine or on narrow hiking trails. 5 - 6 miles round trip was plenty of a work out,
Free Heeler - As in Free Spirit and Free Beer. No $700 pass! No plastic boots! And No Fkn Merlot!

randoskier

Post by randoskier » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:03 pm

Krummholz wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:47 pm
randoskier wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:53 pm
Maybe Norwegian snowshoes?

https://www.unco.edu/hewit/doing-histor ... kiing.aspx
So a set of Altai Hoks and a Tiak?

Good for short distances and deep powder. I love bushwhacking in mine or on narrow hiking trails. 5 - 6 miles round trip was plenty of a work out,
Cool, but don't cross em!

randoskier

Post by randoskier » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:07 pm

Krummholz wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:49 pm
I really like my E99, 200cm, 68/55/62 for long straights with gentle curves. It’s a mofo on narrow trails and don’t even go near switchbacks. I would look for any ski that’s close to those specs.

Added after some thought…

Just don’t get the Fisher Europa 99 Glass.
There is probably a reason they are screwed on the front of everybody’s garage up here.
I have a pair or 210cm Europa 99 Crowns in my closet (2005s I think), I used them a lot when I lived in a region with different terrain than here. What is their problem- besides the fact they don't turn?