Import duties on Asnes skis: has anyone ever ordered skis from Varuste.net to Canada?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Lubega6
Ski style: Steeper terrain below tree line
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad
Favorite boots: Alaskas

Import duties on Asnes skis: has anyone ever ordered skis from Varuste.net to Canada?

Post by Lubega6 » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:27 pm

Not sure if I can ask here, but I'll fire away

I'm currently in the process of buying a new pair of Asnes skis (Ingtads <3). Therefore, I'm comparing local prices in Canada to what I could get internationally and Varuste.net has some pretty solid deals on almost everything, even with expensive (100$CAD) shipping. I was however trying to estimate the duties on such a ski import from Norway, besides provincial taxes. Varuste says that VAT for Canada is 0%, but the CBSA website is not very helpful regarding other import duties.

Has anyone ever ordered skis from Varuste.net (Norway) to Canada?

Bross

Re: Import duties on Asnes skis: has anyone ever ordered skis from Varuste.net to Canada?

Post by Bross » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:38 am

Ordered from them a couple of times now, super quick shipping to the Yukon, got dinged for Gouge and Screw Tax when the skis hit Canada, that's it.

randoskier
Ski style: awkward
Favorite Skis: snow skis
Favorite boots: go-go

Re: Import duties on Asnes skis: has anyone ever ordered skis from Varuste.net to Canada?

Post by randoskier » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:19 pm

Upon receiving the skis you must send 11kg of bacon to Norway.

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:36 pm

Actually Varuste is in Finland.
But yes you have to send 11 kg of bacon to Norway.
Unfortunately I'm not of further help but several om this forum order from Varuste, i suppose someone will speak up

Lubega6
Ski style: Steeper terrain below tree line
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad
Favorite boots: Alaskas

Post by Lubega6 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:12 pm

HAHAHAHHAHAHAAA oh you guys!

Fun fact (but not so fun): with COVID inflation and because of serious drought in Canada (climate change consequences), bacon prices this year have went up close to 20% (in Québec, at least). This is a true story.