Mounting ski crampons?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Papa Tele
Ski style: Tele/bc
Favorite Skis: Karhu guide xcd
Favorite boots: Garmont excursion

Mounting ski crampons?

Post by Papa Tele » Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:41 pm

Hi all new member, first post :)
I’ve got a set of Voile ski crampons that I want to mount on my Karhu XCD guides.
However I would like to mount them just forward of the binding, not underfoot.
I wont be doing any big dangerous crusty summits , just want to quickly get some purchase on climbs as easily as possible.
Pop on and pop off, being lazy yes. Again not techincal super steep climbing. Just want to get some bite under say 6 inches of new snow with a crust under. Also on the Guides, there’s a central raised bit on the top of the ski. So the crampon oval thingy will have some over hang like 1-2mm. Should I shoot some epoxy under or let it hang?
Thanks if you can help!

spopepro

Re: Mounting ski crampons?

Post by spopepro » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:31 am

You don’t need epoxy—it should be fine with just mounting regularly.

However, I don’t think this is an application of ski crampons that makes sense. Mounting in front of the binding is going to push your tips up constantly. Also, in general, ski crampons are slow. Really slow. Like snowshoe slow. They really should be a last resort after stickier skins, better technique, and lower angle pathing.

Papa Tele

Post by Papa Tele » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:10 am

spopepro wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:31 am
You don’t need epoxy—it should be fine with just mounting regularly.

However, I don’t think this is an application of ski crampons that makes sense. Mounting in front of the binding is going to push your tips up constantly. Also, in general, ski crampons are slow. Really slow. Like snowshoe slow. They really should be a last resort after stickier skins, better technique, and lower angle pathing.
Thanks for your reply, greatly appreciated! I see your points. I don’t mind the slowness, just looking for some 4WD grip to get up in fairly tight treey conditions. Just trying to avoid the hassle of taking off skis every time to climb up a little glade or trail section. What are some short skins that might be easy on/off?

Thanks!

spopepro

Post by spopepro » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:23 am

Race skins. Straight cut so you don’t have to line them up the whole way. No tail clip and you can usually get away with trimming them 3/4 of the way to the tail. If you’re willing to notch the tip of your ski the elastic attachment allows for skin removal with skis on with some practice. I’d suggest nylon or a nylon blend since they will only go on when you really want the grip. Something like the voile superlight would have been my pick, but I think they are discontinued.

Krummholz
Ski style: Ski trails uphill, Bcuz every trail here is uphill
Favorite Skis: Fischer SB-98, Rossi Alpineer 86, Fischer Europa 99, Altai Hok, Asnes USGI
Favorite boots: Looked and looked, then found true love - Alaska 75s. TN 75 for DH
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4350&hilit=Transnordic&start=40#p49595

Post by Krummholz » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:45 am

I thought crampons were for ice? I bought this for my USGI skis for short steep sections. Took one skin and cut it in half, ended up reaching to the start of the grip wax. Ships worldwide

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ASCENSION-NYLO ... 632-2357-0. $29.99
B383933F-AD53-48FC-81D7-F5597FCA9D7F.jpeg
Free Heeler - As in Free Spirit and Free Beer. No $700 pass! No plastic boots! And No Fkn Merlot!

Papa Tele

Post by Papa Tele » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:08 pm

Krummholz wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:45 am
I thought crampons were for ice? I bought this for my USGI skis for short steep sections. Took one skin and cut it in half, ended up reaching to the start of the grip wax. Ships worldwide

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ASCENSION-NYLO ... 632-2357-0. $29.99
Excellent ,hank you!

Papa Tele

Post by Papa Tele » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:09 pm

spopepro wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:23 am
Race skins. Straight cut so you don’t have to line them up the whole way. No tail clip and you can usually get away with trimming them 3/4 of the way to the tail. If you’re willing to notch the tip of your ski the elastic attachment allows for skin removal with skis on with some practice. I’d suggest nylon or a nylon blend since they will only go on when you really want the grip. Something like the voile superlight would have been my pick, but I think they are discontinued.
Thanks!

Krummholz
Ski style: Ski trails uphill, Bcuz every trail here is uphill
Favorite Skis: Fischer SB-98, Rossi Alpineer 86, Fischer Europa 99, Altai Hok, Asnes USGI
Favorite boots: Looked and looked, then found true love - Alaska 75s. TN 75 for DH
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4350&hilit=Transnordic&start=40#p49595

Post by Krummholz » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:31 pm

The skins have a tail clip that I cut off with scissors, on the green tip piece you just fold the skin sticky side over on its self. Run your hand down the skin from tip to tail to make sure you put it the right direction, smooth, not grippy.
Free Heeler - As in Free Spirit and Free Beer. No $700 pass! No plastic boots! And No Fkn Merlot!